• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round Five: Waratahs vs Chiefs Friday 7:30 pm

Misunderstood fan

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Mate the Dolphins don't even think they're from Redcliffe

I know the game was a sellout, but it looked like there were plenty of empty seats throughout the match
Disappointing that they dropped Redcliffe from the name but I get it. There were a few empty seats and they call it a sellout. Atmosphere same as a State of Origin.

MungoMan

Sydney Middleton (9)
Watched at a mates birthday so I missed heaps. Just re watched now:

The first thing I thought was the Chiefs were very flat and the Tahs blew an opportunity even with so many injuries.

1st Half attack was terrible. The amount of ball runners and receivers getting it flat footed or having just made a stutter step looked like a team that had not played together. I’m concerned this is a Jake Gordon thing at this point and his style and tempo just isn’t made for a team style game play. He’s an athlete playing Halfback.

I thought Harris worked his ass off and he might put Swinton out of a job soon. Hooper, Gable, Gleeson, Harris…. Just a thought.

Tolu had impact when he came on. Is his leg alright? Basically casted in tape.

I thought Wilson looked very lively when he got on off the bench. Big and athletic. Was running nicely into the gap.

Hate doing ref chat but Jordan is below standard. Not straight line outs, forward passes the list could go on. If he was a super rugby player he’d be dropped.
One I was sure was forward immediately preceded a Chiefs try. The ref should have called that (or be in a position to call it). And nah, not a 'tahs supporter.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Bit of a weird game this one. Chiefs well off their best, I wonder if resting their all blacks last week hurt them more this week - my understanding is the All Black policy is no training in the rest week and the chiefs had a bit of the vibe of a team coming off the bye that had lost the flow and feel for their game. If the same thing happens to the brumbies next week it'll be a plus for the tahs, but I'm not sure the Australian resting policy is as restrictive.

Huge step up defensively from the tahs and that was part of why the Chiefs were off their game, but the attack was almost non-existent outside of the counter. The set piece as well was a real early strength for the tahs too, but the inability to convert that to points is a bit damning. While quite a few players had better games (probably the best of the season for Swinton, Gordon, Hooper and Perese) I'm not sure any of the starters outside of Nawaqanitawase had great games given that lack of attack, poor attacking breakdown work and many lapses. Maybe Harris too.

They look a bit strung out overall, clearly putting it all out there but just not bringing it together and it's starting to wear on them. If there was a big game all the gym work was supposed to win it was this one - Coleman spoke repeatedly about the Chiefs games from last year showing them they needed more size, so to come away without anything to show for it has got to be a hit to the confidence, both for players and coaches. They should absolutely be able to get up again for next week against the Brumbies, but if they come away from GIO without anymore points it'll be hard to turn things around for the back half of the season, even as the draw eases up on them.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Bit of a weird game this one. Chiefs well off their best, I wonder if resting their all blacks last week hurt them more this week - my understanding is the All Black policy is no training in the rest week and the chiefs had a bit of the vibe of a team coming off the bye that had lost the flow and feel for their game. If the same thing happens to the brumbies next week it'll be a plus for the tahs, but I'm not sure the Australian resting policy is as restrictive.

Huge step up defensively from the tahs and that was part of why the Chiefs were off their game, but the attack was almost non-existent outside of the counter. The set piece as well was a real early strength for the tahs too, but the inability to convert that to points is a bit damning. While quite a few players had better games (probably the best of the season for Swinton, Gordon, Hooper and Perese) I'm not sure any of the starters outside of Nawaqanitawase had great games given that lack of attack, poor attacking breakdown work and many lapses. Maybe Harris too.

They look a bit strung out overall, clearly putting it all out there but just not bringing it together and it's starting to wear on them. If there was a big game all the gym work was supposed to win it was this one - Coleman spoke repeatedly about the Chiefs games from last year showing them they needed more size, so to come away without anything to show for it has got to be a hit to the confidence, both for players and coaches. They should absolutely be able to get up again for next week against the Brumbies, but if they come away from GIO without anymore points it'll be hard to turn things around for the back half of the season, even as the draw eases up on them.
Nah there's no way they can challenge the Bumbreeze in Canberra. As you say they are absolutely bereft of a clue in attack.

Lightblue will jump on me for saying it but we simply cant win with Donaldson at 10. One of the few attacking forays we had last night - hot on attack against a retreating defence - and he shovels shit into a props face after standing there confused for a few seconds and turnover. Urgh.

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
Nah there's no way they can challenge the Bumbreeze in Canberra. As you say they are absolutely bereft of a clue in attack.

Lightblue will jump on me for saying it but we simply cant win with Donaldson at 10. One of the few attacking forays we had last night - hot on attack against a retreating defence - and he shovels shit into a props face after standing there confused for a few seconds and turnover. Urgh.
I just don’t understand your obsession with Donaldson and how you think he is not any good. It is quite ruthless. It is his second game at 10 since early last year for the Waratahs and playing alongside Joey Walton who hasn’t played for over a year. It takes time to build combinations. Your man Harrison had a run of over 12 -18 months in a side that didn’t win a game. Not all his fault but he didn’t get shafted after a couple of bad games.You are just so negative it is quite bizarre. Anyway we obviously disagree totally and that’s ok. Coleman‘s game plan hasn’t worked and the fact that the forwards can’t string more than a few phases together without dropping it or losing possession doesn’t help. We had no more than 30% of possession. Hard to get attack going with no ball. Or throwing it not straight into the line out when we were on their line last night after a great touch finder. Is that Donaldson’s fault too?

Last edited:

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The attack is so bad right now, getting sick of these out the back plays that are being read with ease. Play flatter, run straight and recycle. Would like to see Harrison and Goddard given a go.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Imo, a much improved performance from the Tahs, but they are never going to win a Super rugby game against the undefeated leaders with 30% possession. Despite what was really an outstanding defensive effort and dominating the set piece this team will remain also-rans unless they an cut down the dumb penalties and pass and catch the fucking ball! They could easily be four from five but for that, it is so frustrating, they do all the hard stuff but continually shoot themselves in the foot.
On a positive note, the front row was very strong, Harris had his best game of the year, Perese is slowly finding some form and Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) continues to look like a test player. I really liked what a couple of the finishers brought, particularly Seu, Botha and Wilson. He wasn't on long enough for me to get a handle on ability, but gee Von Appen is a monster!!
Finally, Nadolo is an absolute liability in defence, hope he's not costing too much.

Marce

John Thornett (49)
A mungo comment about Sua'ali'i gate:
Screenshot_20230324_222425_Brave.jpg

Are we a basket case? I mean, the Tahs lol

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The tahs back are playing like they have never trained together, just a bunch of individuals running one out

I have no idea what the attacking structure is supposed to be

They showed urgency once for a well crafted maul, the rest is one out trucking it up and dumb short passes until someone drops it

Lightblue

Arch Winning (36)
The tahs back are playing like they have never trained together, just a bunch of individuals running one out

I have no idea what the attacking structure is supposed to be

They showed urgency once for a well crafted maul, the rest is one out trucking it up and dumb short passes until someone drops it
That falls on the coaches and the way they are instructing the team to play.

Drew

Bob Davidson (42)
At the game it seemed we had no thrust in attack, me missed Gleeson and another few strong carriers. Think we are relying on getting the ball to certain players and set plays, which good opposition can read. Also thought Walton looked short of a run, which he would be.