• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round Six: Waratahs v Rebels Friday March 29, 7:35 pm SFS

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
NSW has the strongest underage sides for the last 5 years and what looks like the next few at least. Keep locking up and developing the kids.

Lock them up where, tho?

Don't have the money for retainers.
Don't have a competition where they can develop (come at me, Shute fans).

Serious reform needed

Last edited:
Reactions: mst

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
The Force are the best financed team.

We keep getting told this by Force fans who love their Twiggy Warbucks
...and to me the Farce is the absolute epitome of how poor rugby management is in Australia. Even with all the sugar daddy's war dollar bucks, they can't buy success.!

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
Given the late changes to 3 instrumental players the Tahs had a lot of positives. Some of you shit panning Barrett’s selection - the young man played and held his own against a 32 year old prop who has been amongst the best in the whole competition. Some here saying he wasn’t even the best prop in colts - you need to give yourself an upper cut and go and rewatch the U20’s World Cup. He scored more votes from the opposition coaches than any other player. That 20 minutes will be invaluable for his development and if you need further evidence just watch this years junior wallabies games to see how far he has come. The scrum certainly didn’t get bashed up in the first 20 as it did in the last hour. As a 19 year old playing in the front row I thought it was a bold selection and he definitely didn’t let anyone down.

And the other 19 year old, Jorgensen, saw no clean ball for 70 minutes. It seems that some of the old heads are a little jealous of the wonder kid, there is definitely a need for a closet examination of how they utilise a generational talent.

NSW are in desperate need of high quality experienced coach. I like DC but unfortunately he is out of his depth at this level. Some of the basic errors, poor decision making and game management failures have to sit with him. The next coach must come with an extensive resume of coaching success at this level.

Along with that coach we desperately need a genuine rugby 10. I think Edmed would make a better 12, he just cannot get a backline organised and his phase play leaves a lot to be desired.

Nawaqanitawase surely cannot be picked again for the Tahs. The lack of desire is clear. I think he will struggle even more in league and it will prove to have been a horrible career decision. Sad given his trajectory in 23.

It’s a tough watch at the moment and the first 2 minute of the game highlighted the weakness in Australian rugby. The 15 minutes from the 60th minute were perhaps the worst I’ve seen from a Waratahs team.

Hopefully generation next can be given more opportunities as this generation has had its time.

AFL_Converted

Billy Sheehan (19)
Given the late changes to 3 instrumental players the Tahs had a lot of positives. Some of you shit panning Barrett’s selection - the young man played and held his own against a 32 year old prop who has been amongst the best in the whole competition. Some here saying he wasn’t even the best prop in colts - you need to give yourself an upper cut and go and rewatch the U20’s World Cup. He scored more votes from the opposition coaches than any other player. That 20 minutes will be invaluable for his development and if you need further evidence just watch this years junior wallabies games to see how far he has come. The scrum certainly didn’t get bashed up in the first 20 as it did in the last hour. As a 19 year old playing in the front row I thought it was a bold selection and he definitely didn’t let anyone down.

And the other 19 year old, Jorgensen, saw no clean ball for 70 minutes. It seems that some of the old heads are a little jealous of the wonder kid, there is definitely a need for a closet examination of how they utilise a generational talent.

NSW are in desperate need of high quality experienced coach. I like DC but unfortunately he is out of his depth at this level. Some of the basic errors, poor decision making and game management failures have to sit with him. The next coach must come with an extensive resume of coaching success at this level.

Along with that coach we desperately need a genuine rugby 10. I think Edmed would make a better 12, he just cannot get a backline organised and his phase play leaves a lot to be desired.

Nawaqanitawase surely cannot be picked again for the Tahs. The lack of desire is clear. I think he will struggle even more in league and it will prove to have been a horrible career decision. Sad given his trajectory in 23.

It’s a tough watch at the moment and the first 2 minute of the game highlighted the weakness in Australian rugby. The 15 minutes from the 60th minute were perhaps the worst I’ve seen from a Waratahs team.

Hopefully generation next can be given more opportunities as this generation has had its time.
I couldn't agree more about Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase). I wasn't sure he was even the same player.

Cannot agree about the young prop though. He well and truly had his pants pulled down. The NSW scrum only held together once in the first 29. On their own feed and only just long enough to get it to the back after feeding in under the locks feet. He was hooked early for a reason. I'm not panning him though. He gave it a real crack but it was a step up too soon for him. I'm sure he would have taken a lot of lessons from that and will come back stronger for it next time

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Barrett was a genuine liability for the Tahs. But unless you were gonna find some pot plant from the SS, starting him was the right thing to do. He'll be better long term for the run out, just needs another 2 preseasons.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah he’s not ready but they got stuck and did it well. Would have been much worse if he was needed for the last 20. I was impressed with the amount of carriers he took in his 20mins. Definitely wanted his hands on it.

Keeps putting on size and play grade, he’ll be right. Always been a taller/leaner prop. Bit of a League build that will need to bulk out.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Yeah he’s not ready but they got stuck and did it well. Would have been much worse if he was needed for the last 20. I was impressed with the amount of carriers he took in his 20mins. Definitely wanted his hands on it.

Keeps putting on size and play grade, he’ll be right. Always been a taller/leaner prop. Bit of a League build that will need to bulk out.
How about play grade get better than be ready. Novel idea I know

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
I couldn't agree more about Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase). I wasn't sure he was even the same player.

Cannot agree about the young prop though. He well and truly had his pants pulled down. The NSW scrum only held together once in the first 29. On their own feed and only just long enough to get it to the back after feeding in under the locks feet. He was hooked early for a reason. I'm not panning him though. He gave it a real crack but it was a step up too soon for him. I'm sure he would have taken a lot of lessons from that and will come back stronger for it next time
He was never hooked early, it was obviously the plan.
You guys must have watched a different game to me. They shared the penalties why he was on and lost nothing on the scrum feed. He carried the ball up strong 4 times and was strong in defence. The other props were humiliated later in the game. If you can’t see the trajectory he is on you’re blind. Liability was the so called ‘experienced’ front rowers that got mauled.

The scrum was the reason that they lost the game in the second half. Let’s just see where the young bloke ends up. I’ll guarantee it’s at the front of the Wallabies in a few years time. Let’s just watch this years U20 series against the southern hemisphere teams and the World Cup in May. He will absolutely tear them apart.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
He was never hooked early, it was obviously the plan.
You guys must have watched a different game to me. They shared the penalties why he was on and lost nothing on the scrum feed. He carried the ball up strong 4 times and was strong in defence. The other props were humiliated later in the game. If you can’t see the trajectory he is on you’re blind. Liability was the so called ‘experienced’ front rowers that got mauled.

The scrum was the reason that they lost the game in the second half. Let’s just see where the young bloke ends up. I’ll guarantee it’s at the front of the Wallabies in a few years time. Let’s just watch this years U20 series against the southern hemisphere teams and the World Cup in May. He will absolutely tear them apart.
He is not ready simple as that

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
He is not ready simple as that
And what of the other 4 props that were bashed and pushed around? Is that the future for the Tahs? Guys that were pushed all over the park? It was embarrassing. I didn’t see any of that in his first 20 minutes on debut.
You express your opinion without the facts from the game. Again tell me how much ball they lost while he was on, tell me another forward that had more runs in the same period?

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
And what of the other 4 props that were bashed and pushed around? Is that the future for the Tahs? Guys that were pushed all over the park? It was embarrassing. I didn’t see any of that in his first 20 minutes on debut.
You express your opinion without the facts from the game. Again tell me how much ball they lost while he was on, tell me another forward that had more runs in the same period?
Mate there are better props in Shute Shield. He will be good just needs more time to develop not ready. Pretty obvious

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)

Doing the first 20 as opposed to the last 20 against TT was no doubt the plan.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
I couldn't agree more about Marky Mark (Nawaqanitawase) (Nawaqanitawase). I wasn't sure he was even the same player.

I would suggest that Marky Marks manager may have whispered in his ear that it would be wise to take it easy, just go through the motions in the exit lounge, don't risk getting injured for a lost cause and risk his new payday.

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
Mate there are better props in Shute Shield. He will be good just needs more time to develop not ready. Pretty obvious
There isn’t another young prop even close to him in shute shield. The Tahs have to look to the future. He is the future and it was a great opportunity to give him some game time. Of course he has some growing to do but the young bloke did a fantastic job against one of the most experienced and in form front rowers in the comp.

Again though you’ve not used any supporting evidence from the game. Do you know the scrum stats in the second half? The Tahs scrum was mauled, absolutely destroyed in every scrum.

We can just agree to disagree, because I thought it was a bold choice which was backed up by his performance. I really don’t know what more you’d want from a 19 year old prop on debut vs the second most experienced prop in Australia.

I was at the game and watched the replay on Stan and I hold my opinion.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
There isn’t another young prop even close to him in shute shield. The Tahs have to look to the future. He is the future and it was a great opportunity to give him some game time. Of course he has some growing to do but the young bloke did a fantastic job against one of the most experienced and in form front rowers in the comp.

Again though you’ve not used any supporting evidence from the game. Do you know the scrum stats in the second half? The Tahs scrum was mauled, absolutely destroyed in every scrum.

We can just agree to disagree, because I thought it was a bold choice which was backed up by his performance. I really don’t know what more you’d want from a 19 year old prop on debut vs the second most experienced prop in Australia.

I was at the game and watched the replay on Stan and I hold my opinion.
Don’t pick a 19 yr old that’s not ready. Sure develop him but not at top level. Not that hard to understand

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
Don’t pick a 19 yr old that’s not ready. Sure develop him but not at top level. Not that hard to understand
Mate just try to use some facts. You’ve had nothing to say about the demolition of the scrum in the second half. You’ve not produced a single stat that would support your point. Just an emotional statement with not a scratch of facts to support it.
Pretty simple really, make a point and support it with facts. To date you’ve nothing.
It’s obvious that with the exception of Bell, the Tahs need to develop some young Props. The other props were demolished last night as they have been on a number of occasions this year.
The lad did absolutely everything that was expected of him, a sentiment shared at the ground by a number of former state and international players.