• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Round Six: Waratahs v Rebels Friday March 29, 7:35 pm SFS

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
I support rugby. Because I have defended my own point, you think I’m somehow linked to a player. All I asked was to back up your opinion with some facts. I made no comparison of their skill, just a reference to the fact that two of them had made their debut at the same age in the front row.

At age 64 and with children and grand children of my own I don’t need to be anyone’s cheer leader. I have a high hopes for a number of the young rugby players as I pointed out in my first post today. I am a long time supporter of the Waratahs and know many of the players through the years. Despite the results I’ve been a member for over 25 years and rarely miss a game at home and travel at least twice a year. What about you?
Do u think he he is the next best prop NSW. ? Not slamming the kid he has potential just not yet

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
I support rugby. Because I have defended my own point, you think I’m somehow linked to a player. All I asked was to back up your opinion with some facts. I made no comparison of their skill, just a reference to the fact that two of them had made their debut at the same age in the front row.

At age 64 and with children and grand children of my own I don’t need to be anyone’s cheer leader. I have a high hopes for a number of the young rugby players as I pointed out in my first post today. I am a long time supporter of the Waratahs and know many of the players through the years. Despite the results I’ve been a member for over 25 years and rarely miss a game at home and travel at least twice a year. What about you?
Who has he dominated at grade. Not a massive question

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
Do u think he he is the next best prop NSW. ? Not slamming the kid he has potential just not yet
I think given the injuries the team has at the moment and his potential it was a good opportunity to give him a taste. Currently are there better props in Shute, you’d have to say probably more than one. I did watch Waratahs A at Rat Park against the two Shute Shield teams. He more than held his own, but he is a long way from the finished product.
He’d have been destroyed by Thor but so were the others. Hopefully that taste spurs him on, and along with the likely Junior Wallabies games this year, definitely agree that a few games against the old heads in shute shield will benefit him.

Watching the Reds & Brunbies tonight you see just how far off the pace the Tahs are at the moment. They might as well use this year to give some younger or fringe players a run to see if they are worth investing in long term. We need a major overhaul that’s for sure.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
I think given the injuries the team has at the moment and his potential it was a good opportunity to give him a taste. Currently are there better props in Shute, you’d have to say probably more than one. I did watch Waratahs A at Rat Park against the two Shute Shield teams. He more than held his own, but he is a long way from the finished product.
He’d have been destroyed by Thor but so were the others. Hopefully that taste spurs him on, and along with the likely Junior Wallabies games this year, definitely agree that a few games against the old heads in shute shield will benefit him.

Watching the Reds & Brunbies tonight you see just how far off the pace the Tahs are at the moment. They might as well use this year to give some younger or fringe players a run to see if they are worth investing in long term. We need a major overhaul that’s for sure.
He got smoked by rats and marlins. There are 48 props in Shute Shield who has he bettered

HogansHeros

Syd Malcolm (24)
HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) (Harry Johnson-Holmes) is just Aldi brand Ben Alexander, this is his level, don't ever expect more from him than a few big carries and holding his own against the bottom 30% of looseheads.
Except that he has certainly played at a higher level in past seasons. So theres reason why people may expect more.

Ref_Ted

Sydney Middleton (9)
There isn’t another young prop even close to him in shute shield. The Tahs have to look to the future. He is the future and it was a great opportunity to give him some game time. Of course he has some growing to do but the young bloke did a fantastic job against one of the most experienced and in form front rowers in the comp.

Again though you’ve not used any supporting evidence from the game. Do you know the scrum stats in the second half? The Tahs scrum was mauled, absolutely destroyed in every scrum.

We can just agree to disagree, because I thought it was a bold choice which was backed up by his performance. I really don’t know what more you’d want from a 19 year old prop on debut vs the second most experienced prop in Australia.

I was at the game and watched the replay on Stan and I hold my opinion.
Then we have someone like Blake Schoupp from Souths. Dreamed of playing for Tahs. Could not get.a look in. First time seen by Brumbies offered a train only contract. Ended up starting in round 1 23 and then selected for the Wallabies.

Last edited:

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Rubbish stupid. Comment. Play them straight from colts. Great idea

Shute Shield is a mostly amateur competition, played out of a bunch of cowsheds across Sydney.

It isn't good enough to consistently develop players for professional Rugby; there simply isn't enough quality to give it enough heat to separate the steel from the slag.

It *could* be good enough with the right reforms (both to itself and the wider Rugby landscape in NSW), but there is this mass delusion among its acolytes that SRU is both grass roots and Wallabies-in-waiting.

Should we be throwing teenagers into Super Rugby? Not in the front row IMHO. Or anywhere, if we can help it

But it seems unavoidable when our development and retention systems are so utterly amateur.

pnut

Watty Friend (18)
Shute Shield is a mostly amateur competition, played out of a bunch of cowsheds across Sydney.

It isn't good enough to consistently develop players for professional Rugby; there simply isn't enough quality to give it enough heat to separate the steel from the slag.

It *could* be good enough with the right reforms (both to itself and the wider Rugby landscape in NSW), but there is this mass delusion among its acolytes that SRU is both grass roots and Wallabies-in-waiting.

Should we be throwing teenagers into Super Rugby? Not in the front row IMHO. Or anywhere, if we can help it

But it seems unavoidable when our development and retention systems are so utterly amateur.
Cut and paste original comment change colts for school for u.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

Is the same true of head coach development?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Cut and paste original comment change colts for school for u.

And I'm still 100% correct about all of it.

It's lazy, 20th century thinking.

It will continue to perform as it should, with the occasional success in spite of the glaring and obvious limitations. We should celebrate those exceptions if and when they occur, and figure out how to make it happen consistently.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Is the same true of head coach development?

Coaching up to a certain level is a lot about the playing talent you have. Like a lot of amateur rugby, Shute enjoys massive disparities in resources between clubs.

Once you head into pro territory the margins become finer

Last edited:

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
Coaching up to a certain level is a lot about the playing talent you have. Like a lot of amateur rugby, Shute enjoys massive disparities in resources between clubs.

Once you head into pro territory the margins become finer
They must come with a winning record. The next coach is more important than any player on the Waratahs roster. It has been 10 years since we have had a coach with a win rate over 50%. That’s a bloody long time. I hope they don’t go with another inexperienced coach at this level.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
They must come with a winning record. The next coach is more important than any player on the Waratahs roster. It has been 10 years since we have had a coach with a win rate over 50%. That’s a bloody long time. I hope they don’t go with another inexperienced coach at this level.
An experienced coach with a good win rate costs big dollars. There aren't many of them about, especially when you are on the bones of your arse financially. Inexperienced coach with potential is about all we can afford. We need to choose wisely and hope our front row can stay fit and able through the preseason.

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
An experienced coach with a good win rate costs big dollars. There aren't many of them about, especially when you are on the bones of your arse financially. Inexperienced coach with potential is about all we can afford. We need to choose wisely and hope our front row can stay fit and able through the preseason.
They just can’t afford not to pay the big dollars. Only just 11k crowd on a Good Friday night with perfect conditions. Barely a whisper in the press these days and I would say that the average sports fan wouldn’t even know more than 2 players. They cannot afford another 3 years of someone doing their apprenticeship at this level. Only success will bring people back.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Only success will bring people back.

2014 Final: won the thing in front of 60k+

2015 R1: a mere 20k show up to watch them lose to the force on a balmy Sunday afternoon. I guess the other 40k had something better to do than watch the defending champions go around.

My point: success doesn't always bring attendance. We whipped the Crusaders in R2 with a good performance and, with zero other Rugby in in Sydney that day, couldn't garner a decent crowd for the week after.

Oldgoldminer

Allen Oxlade (6)
2014 Final: won the thing in front of 60k+

2015 R1: a mere 20k show up to watch them lose to the force on a balmy Sunday afternoon. I guess the other 40k had something better to do than watch the defending champions go around.

My point: success doesn't always bring attendance. We whipped the Crusaders in R2 with a good performance and, with zero other Rugby in in Sydney that day, couldn't garner a decent crowd for the week after.
Ok let’s just keep losing, great logic.
You have to have continued success to be any chance, particularly in Sydney, home to the absolute worst sporting fans of almost any international city.

The double problem for rugby is that the a majority of the existing supporter base are some of the most self entitled people in the country. The greatest shame for rugby is that the success of the 80’s & 90’s and early 2000’s is that the game didn’t grow out of the spoilt little kingdoms of the private schools.

It would have to be one of the only sports where people at senior level still align themselves by what self indulgent school that they attended. I see it on this forum all the bloody time, it’s childish and pathetic.

And as a final point, if you think success doesn’t breed support and participation, go over to Ireland and send me a report back.