• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Also, not playing in the WC would have given his body a good chunk of rest he probably hasn't had for the last decade. I know he had the Japan year but nothing beats actual rest for the body. Get some proper work into it

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Asian Olympic qualifying tournaments are on this week leaving just the repechages to complete the fields.

Men's qualifiers so far are France, New Zealand, Argentina, Fiji and Australia (through the World Rugby Sevens Series 2023) have booked their place along with five regional winners in Uruguay (South America), Ireland (Europe), USA (North America), Kenya (Africa) and Samoa (Oceania).

Women's qualifiers are New Zealand, Australia, Ireland and USA (qualifiers through the World Series) and hosts France, meanwhile, have been joined by Brazil, Canada, Great Britain, South Africa and, most recently, Fiji in the women’s tournament.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
With the talk of Dupont wanting to play for the French 7s do we think some others might join in the lead up to the Olympics?

Few of the Boks squad could surely. Kwagga obviously has the history but some of those outside backs would be great.

For Aus I would love to see Toole back in there.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
With the talk of Dupont wanting to play for the French 7s do we think some others might join in the lead up to the Olympics?

Few of the Boks squad could surely. Kwagga obviously has the history but some of those outside backs would be great.

For Aus I would love to see Toole back in there.

Tate was originally trying to work it into his contract as an option to go to Paris, there's every chance Marky or Samu go again.

For our sake I hope Kwagga, Kolbe, Moodie, Lebok, Kok all decline the offer or better yet Tonga/PNG/Hong Kong/Brazil/Mexico/Uganda prevent them from going

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Kerevi? Surely not. He could barely keep up with the speed of 15s recently following injury. Not sure his Club would be too keen if the big fella went down again.

Mark could be good and it could be used in negotiations. He needs time in there though. Last time he looked to be getting the ball and going awol across field and playing a bit of hero ball. As good as he is it seemed to stunt the team at times.

I guess most of the Boks stars do play in Europe and Japan so maybe Clubs won't support it?

Lets go Mexico

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Kerevi? Surely not. He could barely keep up with the speed of 15s recently following injury. Not sure his Club would be too keen if the big fella went down again.

Mark could be good and it could be used in negotiations. He needs time in there though. Last time he looked to be getting the ball and going awol across field and playing a bit of hero ball. As good as he is it seemed to stunt the team at times.

I guess most of the Boks stars do play in Europe and Japan so maybe Clubs won't support it?

Lets go Mexico

Both the repechage & olympics are WR (World Rugby) protected, but the club can still put pressure on

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There was an article yesterday on Rugby.com.au with a few quotes from John Manenti about Michael Hooper. Worth a read.

We've got a pretty good Sevens squad at the moment but I'd say our biggest weakness is our reserve forwards so Hooper could be a great recruit there. Unusually we're actually pretty good with playmakers and backs with some pace.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
BOD need to get his speed back. He seems to have lost it in his final season of 7s. Didn't get much chance to improve it in Ireland and didn't show it for the brums

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I know these guys have experience but it doesn’t make them any better than guys in the current squad. Some of these sides were middle of the pack with Anderson, BOD etc.

I feel there have been guys recently better like Toole and Lancaster even Pietsch would be a guy that can be a Forward in 7s.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
BOD was player of the tournament multiple times in his last year 7’s before COVID hit and he went to Ireland, was also HSBC 7s player of the year nominee and won Australian player of the year around that time, but that’s stretching back 4 or 5 years now.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Men's Olympic repecharge

Chillie, Brazil, GB, Spain, Canada, Mexico, Rsa, Uganda, Tonga, Png, ,China

Women's

Arg, Paraguay, Poland, Czech, Mexico, Jamaica, Kenya, Uganda, Png, Samoa, China, HK

Japan M&W both straight throug. Watched both finals on FB both bloody good games

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)
The 2023-24 Men’s squad

1700552831458.png

Last edited:

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Can understand Hooper in that squad. A lot of backs but limited Forwards. A guy like Dally Bird are still pretty young and will get a lot from Hooper.

Excited to see Tonga. Genuine pace and skill. Also happy to see Dowling stay in Australia. Good footy player just squeezed out at the Tahs. Don’t think he’s done with 15s though.

Rudderless

Ron Walden (29)

The full SVNS 2023-24 schedule

• Dubai: December 2 and 3, 2023
  • Cape Town: December 9 and 10, 2023
  • Perth: January 26-28, 2024
  • Vancouver: February 23-25, 2024
  • Los Angeles: March 2 and 3, 2024
  • Hong Kong: April 5-7, 2024
  • Singapore: May 3-5, 2024
  • Madrid Final Series: May 31 to June 2, 2024