• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Will be really interesting how Teagan Levi goes this season. She really seemed to come along well in 2023. She seems to have a level of physicality and aggression that we’ve often lacked without losing the ability to play up-tempo, skill based footy. I think her emergence and the ongoing play of Lefau-Fakaosilea puts us in a much better place to counter some of the power based teams without going away from our own game.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
This seems to be very much an acquired skill. I know she has a background in AFL, but some of her early drop kicking was very patchy. But it looks to be getting better each outing. Seems an excellent example of someone who will do the hard work required to be successful.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
This seems to be very much an acquired skill. I know she has a background in AFL, but some of her early drop kicking was very patchy. But it looks to be getting better each outing. Seems an excellent example of someone who will do the hard work required to be successful.
Big differences in the footballs, so I have been told.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Gee the women are playing some good footy. Across the board - defence is has been very strong and attack has had great tempo and good ball movement. Hats off to the ladies and the coaching staff - they are great to watch at the moment.

Homer

Ted Fahey (11)
If you looked at the half time stats against SA you would've thought we were up by 20! All the ball and field position. The SA defence was very good but the Aus attack was shite, just continual looping and switches that Hellen Keller could read. The hail mary was throw it to Palmer and hope he could run around people, but he needed more than 1-2m.

wamberal99

Johnnie Wallace (23)
If you looked at the half time stats against SA you would've thought we were up by 20! All the ball and field position. The SA defence was very good but the Aus attack was shite, just continual looping and switches that Hellen Keller could read. The hail mary was throw it to Palmer and hope he could run around people, but he needed more than 1-2m.

I hope that Hooper can acclimatise to the game quickly. Icely is a tough player who can break tackles. Surely we have a few good players coming back?? Without naming names, there were three or four passengers just going through the motions,

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
The Levi sisters are probably the most marketable players in our whole game at the moment, throw Caslick in alongside them as well, she would have the most individual sponsorships out of anyone.

I'm struggling to think how RA can offer more in the 7s space to keep them in the game long term. The reality is for our young superstars (i.e. the Levi sisters) they'll have travelled the world 5 times over, likely won a heap of team and individual awards before they even reach their 'prime' in their mid 20s.

Over the next 2-3 years the NRLW and AFLW will be properly hitting their straps in terms of women's sport in Australia and I'm not sure how 7s can currently compete with that in terms of what they can offer our best players.

Maybe it's inevitable that we lose them for a couple of years and we just need to capitalise on the success whilst we have them and hope more eyes on the game builds depth. But then we risk essentially becoming a feeder club for the legitimate domestic competitions.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Build good relationships and if it must be then encourage them to sign 2 year deals in the NRLW if they want but come back for the Olympics hoping that's still a huge draw?

With Origin going to 3 matches and the Jillaroos seeming to play more as well you can't blame anyone for it. Don't think they would lose any endorsements and probably gain some really. They often get the chance to double dip with the NRLW being shorter they can pick up a gig in the State Leagues which also pay them.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Build good relationships and if it must be then encourage them to sign 2 year deals in the NRLW if they want but come back for the Olympics hoping that's still a huge draw?

Yeh I thought about this and I'm on the fence.

How much does it devalue our 7s program if we simply parachute in the best players available for the Olympics? There would be a lot of women who probably played every tournament in the leadup and then get cut.

It isn't much different than signing the best NRL players available just before a RWC and hoping they win us a trophy. Which RA have come out saying they aren't too keen on.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Doesn't feel good but Olympic Gold Medals could have a big impact on participation rates.

If you miss out on a spot because someone better comes back yeah that sucks but you'll go if good enough.

Unfortunately we feel so far behind in the XVs I don't think 2,3 coming back would do much. They would need 10+ players which they wouldn't want to pay.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Think it’s at that point.

Writing has been on the wall for a long time. Feel like Melbourne 2006 was the last time it felt big and with all the elite talent. Was sad when Jamaican Sprinters would skip it because the World Champs are on the same cycle so they peak for that.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
The Levi sisters are probably the most marketable players in our whole game at the moment, throw Caslick in alongside them as well, she would have the most individual sponsorships out of anyone.

I'm struggling to think how RA can offer more in the 7s space to keep them in the game long term. The reality is for our young superstars (i.e. the Levi sisters) they'll have travelled the world 5 times over, likely won a heap of team and individual awards before they even reach their 'prime' in their mid 20s.

Over the next 2-3 years the NRLW and AFLW will be properly hitting their straps in terms of women's sport in Australia and I'm not sure how 7s can currently compete with that in terms of what they can offer our best players.

Maybe it's inevitable that we lose them for a couple of years and we just need to capitalise on the success whilst we have them and hope more eyes on the game builds depth. But then we risk essentially becoming a feeder club for the legitimate domestic competitions.
On the eve of the Sydney Sevens, Australian Rugby and the Sevens program have received a boost with World Rugby Sevens Player of the Year Charlotte Caslick re-signing until the end of 2026. https://www.rugby.com.au/news/charlotte-caslick-resigns-with-sevens-2023123

Sevens superstars Maddison and Teagan Levi are eager to build long-lasting legacies in the sport as they sign a two-year extension. The deals will keep them in the sport until the end of the 2025-26 Sevens season, having initially signed on until the 2024 Paris Olympics. https://www.rugby.com.au/news/no-pl...is-commit-future-to-australian-rugby-20231121

I'm pretty happy we have all three for another 2.5 years, no need to doomsday their futures yet...