• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'm pretty happy we have all three for another 2.5 years, no need to doomsday their futures yet...

Yep re-signing them for an Olympics and some more world 7s is great but doesn’t change the point of my post.

Madi Levi will be 24 when her contract is up and we don’t have a sustainable domestic product to keep these girls in the game outside the ‘big ticket’ incentives.

Caslick for example will have played in two Olympics and done 10 or so years of world travel when her next contract comes up. Might not be much drive to keep that up when there are lucrative domestic comps which will be chasing her.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Wonder if for Caslick as she gets older the look of NRLW becomes less appealing than touring the world each year if she can maintain her earning? Rather play 7s than get your head smashed in after 30

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Teagan could become one of the most important players of the team seeing as she seems to be taking on more of the kicking responsibilities. We’ve missed that since Chloe Dalton.

Forget about the kicking, this was the Teagan Levi tournament due to the match she produced in the final.

What a performance!

MoneyBill685

Ward Prentice (10)
The Levi sisters are probably the most marketable players in our whole game at the moment, throw Caslick in alongside them as well, she would have the most individual sponsorships out of anyone.

I'm struggling to think how RA can offer more in the 7s space to keep them in the game long term. The reality is for our young superstars (i.e. the Levi sisters) they'll have travelled the world 5 times over, likely won a heap of team and individual awards before they even reach their 'prime' in their mid 20s.

Over the next 2-3 years the NRLW and AFLW will be properly hitting their straps in terms of women's sport in Australia and I'm not sure how 7s can currently compete with that in terms of what they can offer our best players.

Maybe it's inevitable that we lose them for a couple of years and we just need to capitalise on the success whilst we have them and hope more eyes on the game builds depth. But then we risk essentially becoming a feeder club for the legitimate domestic competitions.
When you refer to most marketable, are you referring to the thirst traps on social media?

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Yep re-signing them for an Olympics and some more world 7s is great but doesn’t change the point of my post.

Madi Levi will be 24 when her contract is up and we don’t have a sustainable domestic product to keep these girls in the game outside the ‘big ticket’ incentives.

Caslick for example will have played in two Olympics and done 10 or so years of world travel when her next contract comes up. Might not be much drive to keep that up when there are lucrative domestic comps which will be chasing her.
Why do we need a sustainable domestic product for them when the global product is convincing them to extend at the moment? What makes you so sure they won't sign another few 2-3 year deals like so many of the squad have?

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Why do we need a sustainable domestic product for them when the global product is convincing them to extend at the moment? What makes you so sure they won't sign another few 2-3 year deals like so many of the squad have?

RA makes bugger all money out of the 7s team. They rely mainly on Sports Commision funding. Obviously some sponsorship but given the lack of visibility of the team, they are never going to get much. They will get some cash from hosting in Perth I expect.

The team need much more but I don't see how a domestic product is the answer unfortunately.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
B
Because the travel associated with Sevens is fucking draining after an extended period. If there are local options with comparable or better pay- you’re going to take it.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
RA makes bugger all money out of the 7s team. They rely mainly on Sports Commision funding. Obviously some sponsorship but given the lack of visibility of the team, they are never going to get much. They will get some cash from hosting in Perth I expect.

The team need much more but I don't see how a domestic product is the answer unfortunately.
Honestly I think the best way they can work it is to build a profitable 15s program and run the 7s as a high performance player development program and marketing tool, both to the public and to cross code athletes for a shot at the olympics. It's already producing the best talent production/finishing school in women's sport in Australia (or at least the football codes), we just struggle to get the most out of players that move on from it when they're looking for more.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Much improved performance by men…the match against South Africa was as clinical as they’ve had for a long time.

And the women 2 from 2, they’ve got a good mix between power and speed at the moment. They were previously speed orientated but the Levi sisters, Nasser and Fakaosilea all having a power game that complements the speed of Caslick, Nathan etc

Demi Hayes and Fakaosilea looks to have done a knee injury though which is a negative.

Last edited:
Reactions: dru

noscrumnolife

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Honestly I think the best way they can work it is to build a profitable 15s program and run the 7s as a high performance player development program and marketing tool, both to the public and to cross code athletes for a shot at the olympics. It's already producing the best talent production/finishing school in women's sport in Australia (or at least the football codes), we just struggle to get the most out of players that move on from it when they're looking for more.
Agreed. It's also a good carrot to dangle in front of talented youngsters - come and spend a year flying around the world playing for your country rather than treading water on a Super/NRL bench - seem to have taken this approach with Hadley Tonga which I like.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Much improved performance by men…the match against South Africa was as clinical as they’ve had for a long time.

And the women 2 from 2, they’ve got a good mix between power and speed at the moment. They were previously speed orientated but the Levi sisters, Nasser and Fakaosilea all having a power game that complements the speed of Caslick, Nathan and

Demi Hayes and Fakaosilea looks to have done a knee injury though which is a negative.
One thing I’ve noticed in the last two tournaments which I haven’t noticed as much before is that the women seem to have changed their tackle strategy. They generally are staying more uptight and hitting higher which is then resulting in more turnovers as they often putting the ball carrier to ground whilst staying on their feet and in good position to get straight over the ball.

Combined with their fitness level, the couple of more physical players like Nasser & Teagan Levi and their defence work is now probably even more impressive than their attack.

The will need to be a bit careful though - after Lefau-Fakaosilea’s red card in Dubai I thought she was very close to high contact another couple of times and even though Madi Levi’s red wasn’t directly as a result of this strategy it is still two red’s for high contact in two tournaments which is probably enough to get a bit of extra scrutiny.