• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby 7s general chat

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I know she had been injured, but Chloe Dalton hasn’t hit her previous form since returning from the WAFL, looks a bit underdone and lacking pace

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Women’s 7s team definitely needs the bigger bodies like Demi Hayes and Lilly Dick in the side to add a bit more physicality. Alysia Fakaosilea is strong ball carrier as well, just needs more experience

sendit

Bob Loudon (25)
Dick & Levi have been quality and I think need to be involved come Tokyo

Staples & Du Toit I think have played themselves out of contention

Would love to see Vella and Stewart from the tahs given a contract after Tokyo. Think Mahalia Murphy should be there too but reading between the lines I think it was a personality clash with the coach rather than talent

Both Parry & Williams I think are on their last legs and with all respect are probably there as there are zero options to replace them in terms of bigger body girls. I’ve never actually seen her play but Kemp from Canberra has the body type we need, I’m going to assume she’s not mobile enough for 7’s

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Women’s 7s team definitely needs the bigger bodies like Demi Hayes and Lilly Dick in the side to add a bit more physicality. Alysia Fakaosilea is strong ball carrier as well, just needs more experience

Hayes and Dick have had so many chances on the world stage and not showed it. We need their type to take over from Parry and Willianms. Dick has been a standout this weekend, particularly with her physicality. She deserves an Olympic jersey. I’m not as convinced on Hayes. I’d take ALF ahead of her.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Seven stitches for Sevens Sister Ruby Tui after copping a stray (& accidental) knee v Fiji:

IMG_1108.JPG

IMG_1109.JPG

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Hayes and Dick have had so many chances on the world stage and not showed it. We need their type to take over from Parry and Willianms. Dick has been a standout this weekend, particularly with her physicality. She deserves an Olympic jersey. I’m not as convinced on Hayes. I’d take ALF ahead of her.

Who’s ALF?

Edit, just realised it’s Alyssa. Yeah she looks the goods as well, I just don’t know if she has the endurance, seems a bit better suited to 15s

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
So my Olympic squads (assuming 13 go?)

1. Chloe Dalton
  2. Sariah Paki
  3. Sharni Williams (c)
  4. Charlotte Caslick
  5. Vani Pelite
  6. Emma Tonegato
  7. Ellia Green
  8. Demi Hayes
  9. Shannon Parry
  10. Lilly Dick
  11. Madison Ashby
  12. Alysia Leafu-Fakaosilea
  13. Faith Nathan
  1. Henry Paterson
  2. Nick Malouf (c)
  3. Joe Pincus
  4. Trae Williams
  5. Lewis Holland
  6. Lachlan Anderson
  7. Josh Coward
  8. Samu Kerevi
  9. Maurice Longbottom
  10. Dylan Pietsch
  11. Josh Turner
  12. Lachlan Miller
  13. Tim Anstee
Does having Turner, Moz and Coward unbalance the squad?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
broadly i agree, i don't know if Chloe Dalton demonstrated enough on the weekend to warrant her place but based on reputation she'll probably get a spot.

I think you need 3 guys like Maurice/Coward/Turner, if Maurice Longbottom goes down injured they're in real strife regardless. Australia aren't bad at defending, but struggle to get points on the board. So i think having two of those guys on the field in the second half will be essential if they get behind on the scoreboard.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Au v NZ Sunday match highlights

NZ women dominant & must be Gold Medal favourites but men are a worry, never looked like beating Fiji in either match & even though it's "just a warmup" you'd still want to be winning at least one of the two matches for confidence.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Well Chloe Dalton’s out of the Olympics with a fractured eye socket. Devastating for her and probably the last time we see her play rugby.

An opportunity for one of the new faces. Although it probably just confirms someone like du Toit’s spot.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well Chloe Dalton’s out of the Olympics with a fractured eye socket. Devastating for her and probably the last time we see her play rugby.

An opportunity for one of the new faces. Although it probably just confirms someone like du Toit’s spot.

Bad news! Chloe's photos do not look good.

village

Frank Row (1)

I think you have been a bit harsh on Lily Reg. After making her Debut at Dubai in 2018 she was in the 12 and mostly in the run on team for the whole of the World Series 2019. She badly injured her foot in the Semi Final of AON in October 2019. She was in recovery/rehab until October 2020. The NZ Series in May was her first hit out since October 2019 and she was obviously Rusty. We all saw what she did last weekend with the one hit out under her belt.

village

Frank Row (1)
I think you have been a bit harsh on Lily Reg. After making her Debut at Dubai in 2018 she was in the 12 and mostly in the run on team for the whole of the World Series 2019. She badly injured her foot in the Semi Final of AON in October 2019. She was in recovery/rehab until October 2020. The NZ Series in May was her first hit out since October 2019 and she was obviously Rusty. We all saw what she did last weekend with the one hit out under her belt.

Sorry , she played the third round of AON at the beginning of May Then the NZ Series later in the Month.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Teams named.

Australian Women’s Sevens Team for Tokyo 2020

Shannon Parry
Sharni Williams
Faith Nathan
Dominique Du Toit
Emma Tonegato
Evania Pelite
Charlotte Caslick