• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship 2021

dru

Tim Horan (67)
So according to newshub SANZAAR's master plan for TRC 2021 is for it to be played on both sides of the Tasman but they want RA & NZR to each submit a sole-host proposal just in case.

"Probably the best rugby decision we could make in the best possible environment is to have games across Australia and New Zealand," Sanzaar chief executive Brendan Morris [said].

And that was pretty much all he said.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...s-for-rugby-championship-as-bubble-looms.html

With RSA and Argie not being able to have home games, I don't mind the idea of having a home Nation. I'm OK with that being NZ as long as the finances stack and Aus get's it's cut.

End of the day though, it will be spread across the Tasman.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
So according to newshub SANZAAR's master plan for TRC 2021 is for it to be played on both sides of the Tasman but they want RA & NZR to each submit a sole-host proposal just in case.

"Probably the best rugby decision we could make in the best possible environment is to have games across Australia and New Zealand," Sanzaar chief executive Brendan Morris [said].

And that was pretty much all he said.

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/spor...s-for-rugby-championship-as-bubble-looms.html

Prob makes sense to play half the games in nz then the other half in aus (or vice versa) just in case there is some out break somewhere with players & officials flying over back & fwd. Then if there all of a sudden you had a boarder closure you could have a plan B within the individual country.

If RSA & Los Pumas cant host then their "home game" could be in the other country across the Tasman ie Arg v Aus in Dunedin & RSA v NZ in perth something like that

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Prob makes sense to play half the games in nz then the other half in aus (or vice versa) just in case there is some out break somewhere with players & officials flying over back & fwd. Then if there all of a sudden you had a boarder closure you could have a plan B within the individual country.

If RSA & Los Pumas cant host then their "home game" could be in the other country across the Tasman ie Arg v Aus in Dunedin & RSA v NZ in perth something like that

That should boost crowd numbers /s

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Big SA expat community in North Harbour (hence Loss Bleus' tendency to play SA teams at Albany) so I guess there & Perth could possibly host the 2 x SA v Arg games which you'd think will be the hardest sells tix-wise.

wrt SANZAAR's "announcement" I found it rather underwhelming: both TV sports news talked it up like it was going to be almost a draw release, but maybe they over-egged it?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I would guess both countries would want to maximise the revenue by playing it essentially as an away game rather than at a mutual venue.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I would guess both countries would want to maximise the revenue by playing it essentially as an away game rather than at a mutual venue.

RSA has recently shown a heavy reluctance to anything that increases the risk of their current status. Hard to know how they will consider the matter.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
RSA has recently shown a heavy reluctance to anything that increases the risk of their current status. Hard to know how they will consider the matter.

Surely going bankrupt would threaten their status. If they fold entirely and never play a game again they'll still lose number 1 status next world cup.

D-Box

Ron Walden (29)
The logical split would
NZ v Aus one in each
SA v Arg one in each (or both in NZ as Aus hosted all last year)
NZ v SA both in NZ
NZ v Arg both in NZ
Aus v SA both in Aus
Aus v Arg both in Aus

You would assume on rankings SA and NZ will be 1 and 2 so schedule as

Weeks 1 and 2
Aus v SA
NZ v Arg

Weeks 3 and 4
Aus v NZ
SA v Arg
This is when chaos could happen. However you could keep 1-2 spare weeks at the end of the tournament to allow catch up if these get disrupted due to quarantine.

Weeks 5 and 6
Aus v Arg
NZ v SA

This potentially has both games in week 5 being important still and possibly NZ v SA playing an effective final in week 6

James GC

Larry Dwyer (12)
Both RSA & ARG would only need 1 quarantine in either country then they are free to travel back & forward.

Whilst that may be true there is still a cost to the trip that poor crowd numbers is not going to pay for. Granted the TV rights for the BIL Tour should fill RSA pockets there is no such winfall for the Pumas.

Members Section

John Thornett (49)
Whilst that may be true there is still a cost to the trip that poor crowd numbers is not going to pay for. Granted the TV rights for the BIL Tour should fill RSA pockets there is no such winfall for the Pumas.

I agree all I was saying is you could have that option out of fairness who knows rsa may refuse to come again.

Will be interesting where all the tests are played this year.

France (Suncorp, Bankwest, Aami)
Nz (Suncorp 'plz')
RSA (Bankwest & possibly optus?)
Arg (Bankwest & possibly McDonald Jones?)

Rebel man

Peter Johnson (47)
I like it as in 25 when it’s a Lions year there is still the opportunity to play against tier two nations and give back to the game as well as playing them in World Cup years

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Lots of talk since yesterdays announcement that South Africa are heading North after 2025:

Talk is that they'd replace Italy.
Would certainly make it the premier comp in world rugby (if it isn't already).

Certainly wouldn't be a positive step in building rugby into a world game.