• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
If they all get another game in next week and then play Pumas first up (as scheduled) at a minimum it would be every players 6th game of the season before Aus or NZ. That’s not that much less than some Aus players in the current squad infact the same as a lot of players that were rested or injured during SRAU at some stage. The European players would of potentially played more game time than the Aus/NZ players. I think it’s an extremely high probability they will arrive.

Wilson

David Codey (61)

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Well, I’m still keen on going to the Brissie game altho’ heaven knows what the ticket prices will be. At this point it isn’t even clear if there will be a ‘pre-sale’, as was to be the case, or if it will just be a mad scramble until the pattern of seats sold reaches the Covid plan’s limits.

There's presale for stadium members, then I'd assume that Reds membership promises of presale should be honoured.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If they all get another game in next week and then play Pumas first up (as scheduled) at a minimum it would be every players 6th game of the season before Aus or NZ.

How? They have had at most two now. Where are the other four coming from? Next weekend's local game and then? That's three.

It is not just that. They started contact training less than three weeks ago. Then they must site in a hotel room for 2 weeks and somehow get match fit in 2 weeks.

The coaches have no clue of or when they will have overseas players. How do you plan?

The ONLY reason they will come is money. Logic plays zero part.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How? They have had at most two now. Where are the other four coming from? Next weekend's local game and then? That's three.

It is not just that. They started contact training less than three weeks ago. Then they must site in a hotel room for 2 weeks and somehow get match fit in 2 weeks.

The coaches have no clue of or when they will have overseas players. How do you plan?

Because Argentina are fucking here. Don't see them complaining. They've had it WORSE.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

Well there was the Superhero weekend, Green vs Gold, this weekend been, play again this weekend, then a match against an even less prepared Pumas. The game after all these would be 6th match?

The hotel quarantine here means they can train in gym and fields during the 2 weeks.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Will they or won't they?

link

2020-10-12 MartGillingham.jpg

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Surely not. Would be so much lost money for all involved. NZ, Argentina and Aus will all be on the phone right now begging them. Player welfare my ass. Yeah they might get pummelled but they're not in any more danger than the super games they just played on the weekend. Weak decision.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
They have previously indicated that they would participate so there could be legal ramifications. If someone is gunna lose a wad of cash i'd rather it be them.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
They have previously indicated that they would participate so there could be legal ramifications. If someone is gunna lose a wad of cash i'd rather it be them.

Yeah, surely now it is too late as tickets are going on sale. Would Argentina have come if they knew this ahead of time? Potentially not. A lot is riding on this for a very vague "player welfare" to sink it all.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Surely not. Would be so much lost money for all involved. NZ, Argentina and Aus will all be on the phone right now begging them. Player welfare my ass. Yeah they might get pummelled but they're not in any more danger than the super games they just played on the weekend. Weak decision.

I can fully understand if they do pull the pin, it all very well us saying that they should be ready, but they don't use 2 fingers to type on internet, think you need bodies to be in full condition before playing tests. It's one thing to have a couple of players that are not quite up to scratch, but you have to be confident whole team is, as you acn hide a couple. In saying I hope they are here, but if not will have my respect for putting player welfare ahead of money.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I can fully understand if they do pull the pin, it all very well us saying that they should be ready, but they don't use 2 fingers to type on internet, think you need bodies to be in full condition before playing tests. It's one thing to have a couple of players that are not quite up to scratch, but you have to be confident whole team is, as you acn hide a couple. In saying I hope they are here, but if not will have my respect for putting player welfare ahead of money.
It might've be understandable for them to pull the pin. I don't personally agree with the weak reasons they have given, but if they do so be it.

It might've been understandable if they pulled out months ago when negotiating with SANZAAR over whether the TRC should proceed. They didn't and nothing has changed between now and then. Pulling out now would be completely fucked.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Well there was the Superhero weekend, Green vs Gold, this weekend been, play again this weekend, then a match against an even less prepared Pumas. The game after all these would be 6th match?

The hotel quarantine here means they can train in gym and fields during the 2 weeks.

If you think that equals a full Super Rugby tournament like you guys had, training for a test, and playing in 2 or three tests you are living in a dreamworld.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
It might've be understandable for them to pull the pin. I don't personally agree with the weak reasons they have given, but if they do so be it.

It might've been understandable if they pulled out months ago when negotiating with SANZAAR over whether the TRC should proceed. They didn't and nothing has changed between now and then. Pulling out now would be completely fucked.

Hang on. Weak reasons?

They will not have access to Euro players until end week on November or later. Those players will not train with the squad until literally the third week of November,

Japanese players are out of the question.

They have had totally disrupted preparation. Did you watch their games this weekend? They players are unfit.

Meanwhile AU and NZ have been hammering it for months now in very competitive rugby.

If weak is sensible, then I prefer weak.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

Win one world cup and suddenly they are too good to play us.

Bullshit.

Now you're just being a dickhead.

At the time of SANZAAR negations SA Rugby made it clear that it depends on 1. government clearance, and 2. whether the coaches feel they have a squad of fit enough players.

Nobody is changing their minds no. SA Rugby has always made it clear that participation will be until further notice.

I think they will come but I think they should not.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah, surely now it is too late as tickets are going on sale. Would Argentina have come if they knew this ahead of time? Potentially not. A lot is riding on this for a very vague "player welfare" to sink it all.

Again, SA's participation was always open-ended and unconfirmed. Is SANZAAR felt at the time that was an issue they should have ended it then.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
Good on the boks for not bowing to the almighty dollar. They are the world champs. They dont want to send a bunch of scabs down to wheeze their way to creaking losses.