• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Good on the boks for not bowing to the almighty dollar. They are the world champs. They dont want to send a bunch of scabs down to wheeze their way to creaking losses.

True but had they been a bit better prepared I would have loved seeing a groups of youngsters being given a chance, even if the lost.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
I might be missing something here but couldn’t this decision have come about awhile ago? It seems ridiculously unfair to the Pumas who have already made the huge effort and commitment of coming here.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Government is and was the holdup, not SARU.

If you want to point fingers, point them at the South African government.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Government is and was the holdup, not SARU.

If you want to point fingers, point them at the South African government.

Ok I was trying hard to not do the usual but that's impossible these days. :(

So the gov gave go-ahead on Saturday, why the holdup then?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yeah, surely now it is too late as tickets are going on sale. Would Argentina have come if they knew this ahead of time? Potentially not. A lot is riding on this for a very vague "player welfare" to sink it all.
So you don’t think the agentina union need money after their only pro team scrapped - think again

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I might be missing something here but couldn’t this decision have come about awhile ago? It seems ridiculously unfair to the Pumas who have already made the huge effort and commitment of coming here.

South African government...

Think banana republic...

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Pretty weak if SA pull out. They could always come here early abd line up some warm up games against the OZ super sides if they are worried about being underdone.

If i was RA id be on the phone to Japan Rugby.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pretty weak if SA pull out. They could always come here early abd line up some warm up games against the OZ super sides if they are worried about being underdone.

Not sure. Aus sides would be missing all the Wallabies obviously and then a lot of them are playing club rugby finals. Then there's guys who might've booked in surgery after the season and or started rehab programs and/or gone on holidays. Would be scrapping the barrel. Then there's the issue of paying the bills for this match..

I guess the Force would be the best bet in Perth.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Bullshit.

Now you're just being a dickhead.

At the time of SANZAAR negations SA Rugby made it clear that it depends on 1. government clearance, and 2. whether the coaches feel they have a squad of fit enough players.

Nobody is changing their minds no. SA Rugby has always made it clear that participation will be until further notice.

I think they will come but I think they should not.

I was being a dickhead.

But still. If you can't participate how the fuck are going to wait until now to say so.

Meanwhile - Argentina are down the road training, played even less rugby and not a single issue.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
What does the Gov have to do with SA playing abroad?

As recently as 28 Sept SARU still didn't have permission from government to actually go play overseas. The weekend preceding this date was the first friendly game in the country. 8 Sept was the official start of contact training, all as mandated by government.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
As recently as 28 Sept SARU still didn't have permission from government to actually go play overseas. The weekend preceding this date was the first friendly game in the country. 8 Sept was the official start of contact training, all as mandated by government.

I get all that, those are rules for their country during Covid but how does the SA gov govern what their citizens can do in another country? Are they allowed to leave the country?

Plenty of players left SA during Covid to go play rugby elsewhere already.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I get all that, those are rules for their country during Covid but how does the SA gov govern what their citizens can do in another country? Are they allowed to leave the country?

Plenty of players left SA during Covid to go play rugby elsewhere already.

That's the point I'm trying to bring across. SARU was only given go ahead by the government to leave the country sometime last week if I'm not mistaken.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
That's the point I'm trying to bring across. SARU was only given go ahead by the government to leave the country sometime last week if I'm not mistaken.
But what bearing does that have on player welfare? Sure, it would be completely acceptable to say 'hey we are coming pending our fuckwit government letting us'.

But the circumstances in which you are to play have not changed.