• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
IIRC there are Saffa fans on these forums who made similar claims a few years back. It's definitely not a completely outrageous claim. But we're drifting a bit lads, we're all a bit tense I think.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I literally say any name and your comeback will be "no they weren't"

Go on, be honest with yourself, at no point in time was someone chosen for an SA rugby team where the deciding factor was their skin colour rather than their ability?

At no point that I know of. There.

I'm not the coach.

I used to have a lot of respect for Australia. I even had a bet that Australia would win the weekend past with a mate of mine. My colleague agreed also and said "I also think Australia are gonna win".

Heck, I even think so now with the match coming up.

Given the response here though I'd rather have NZ win. 1 point, 100 points, doesn't matter to me. Didn't matter either way as I don't support NZ or AUS rugby teams, but fuck me, you are the most arrogant people apparently.

Just for that reason now I hope NZ win although I still suspect they won't.

If NZ do end up winning something like 80-9, then I hope we will hear from the rest here that "who cares if you lose", right?

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
At no point that I know of. There.

I'm not the coach.

I used to have a lot of respect for Australia. I even had a bet that Australia would win the weekend past with a mate of mine. My colleague agreed also and said "I also think Australia are gonna win".

Heck, I even think so now with the match coming up.

Given the response here though I'd rather have NZ win. 1 point, 100 points, doesn't matter to me. Didn't matter either way as I don't support NZ or AUS rugby teams, but fuck me, you are the most arrogant people apparently.

Just for that reason now I hope NZ win although I still suspect they won't.

If NZ do end up winning something like 80-9, then I hope we will hear from the rest here that "who cares if you lose", right?

As i said to Blue - if i've been out of line i apologize.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
As i said to Blue - if i've been out of line i apologize.

I think your lot can win and want to win and set some records straight w.r.t Eden Park.

Campese didn't make your job easier I suspect, but maybe that's just the Aussie way to be brazen.

Your supporters here has not made it easy for the neutral to, for once, actually support you even though we think you might win.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
On review I probably haven't been particularly reasonable. I think it's basically just because I'm just quite keen for you to participate and it's a shame that logistics are getting in the way of that.

It's also, selfishly, that I was rather looking forward to a attending a double header with NZ v SA and Aus v Pumas.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
On review I probably haven't been particularly reasonable. I think it's basically just because I'm just quite keen for you to participate.

I'm also keen for us to participate.

I really, really am.

Feels like the 1-3 saffas on here are being attacked for our government or for SARU though and then some other things in between here which I won't mention.

We don't think it's in our best interest to go.

But I think we should go anyway. I think I mentioned the same on TheRoar. I don't like having to cheapen the jersey. We need the money and we should try to go.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I don't think putting your best team forward in difficult circumstances cheapens the jersey personally. That's what rugby is all about. Doing the best you can for the team.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah I get the history and the logistical challenge of getting players from 5 countries to participate. I also get not wanting to play at less than full strength. I just don't get why, given all of the above and clearly no real desire to participate, you haven't pulled out yet, given your first match is in 6 weeks. We've organised everything on the basis that you will participate and the longer you take to pull out the less time we have to make alternate arrangements.

Edit: i dont think expecting reasonable notice is petulant - but if im out of line in apologize. I should not have antagonised you.

Apology not needed. We are on the interweb and people have the right to their views. Thank you.

They are trying to make it work, as we speak.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't think putting your best team forward in difficult circumstances cheapens the jersey personally. That's what rugby is all about. Doing the best you can for the team.

Problem is, next year 'rona gone then you have 150 Springboks. Exaggeration, I know, but something like that.

It is truly something of significance here to get that jersey and probably even more so at the darkness.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Following a SANZAAR Chief Executive’s teleconference call on Tuesday 13 October, the SANZAAR member unions have agreed to provide South Africa Rugby with an additional 48 hours to finalise its internal stakeholder discussions. This will now delay the scheduled departure of the Springboks from South Africa to Australia. SANZAAR will provide an update on the resolution of these discussions and a timetable for the Springboks participation in The Rugby Championship when available in the coming days.

The Bledisloe Cup fixtures between Australia and New Zealand on Saturday 31 October and Saturday 7 November in Sydney and Brisbane respectively, are unaffected and will go ahead as scheduled.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Following a SANZAAR Chief Executive’s teleconference call on Tuesday 13 October, the SANZAAR member unions have agreed to provide South Africa Rugby with an additional 48 hours to finalise its internal stakeholder discussions. This will now delay the scheduled departure of the Springboks from South Africa to Australia. SANZAAR will provide an update on the resolution of these discussions and a timetable for the Springboks participation in The Rugby Championship when available in the coming days.

The Bledisloe Cup fixtures between Australia and New Zealand on Saturday 31 October and Saturday 7 November in Sydney and Brisbane respectively, are unaffected and will go ahead as scheduled.

Sounds like we are going over.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah it comes from a place of wanting to see the Boks on our shores again! Be great to have the World Cup Champs involved.

Even if it's a bit later, and a Barbarians team play the Argies for the first week. That might be a good outcome for almost everyone, given the Argies will be undercooked as well.

Reactions: dru

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
I hope so.

Mate, some of the noise here has been quite unedifying as an Aussie. Hopefully noise does not equate to the norm. Let’s see the Boks here giving it a top crack.

We'll be fine. I say "we" because it's my team and my nation. Not as though I'll be there.

Reactions: dru

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
OK lets assume they come over.

"Most obvious" team they can pick right now from players in SA, provided they are all fit:

Curwin Bosch / Gelant / Damian Willemse
Rosko Specman, Am, Frans Steyn, Nkosi
Elton Jantjes
Little Jantjes

Duane Verm.
Kolisi, Arno Botha
No idea, No idea
Ginger, Bongi, Malherbe

Locks: Probably from Shickerling, Jenkins, Moerat, Orie, The Sharks guy with the big hair. Mostly decent to average.
Blind side - I have no first clue who else (Mohoje, perhaps, the other Sharks bloke who can run really fast for a big guy)
Marco van Staden - the best out and out open side in SA.
12: Steyn as I haven't a clue if there is anyone else decent and he was pretty good on Saturday and still has a lot to offer).

The other 20 or so will be names none of us here in Aus have really heard of much except for guys like Thomas du Toit.

The squad will be intriguing.

Possible overseas players to be added at some point provided they can get them here quick enough so there is time for them to have sex with hotel security guards, go walkabout, and serve out their quarantine:

Du Preez twins (blindside/ lock and number 8), Faf (Sale)
De Allende (Munster)
Kolbe (Toulouse)

The earliest these overseas guys can join the squad from my calculation is 12 November? I think their clubs must let them go on 28 October-ish?

There is a boatload of players overseas they could bring in but I think 90% will be SA players and they will supplement with those guys if at all possible. There is every chance we will see NO overseas boks at all.

Japan players not in the picture (Mapimipi, Marx, Kriel, Kwagga etc).

Ulrich - what names have I missed? Which youngsters would make up the balance? Any bolters that will start you reckon?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Possible Squad with NO overseas players and my very limited knowledge these days:

Utility backs: Curwin Bosch, Damian Willemse (both cover 10, 15)
15. Gelant
Wingers: Specman, Skosan, Penxe, ONE MORE
Midfielders: Steyn, Am, Similane, TWO MORE
10, Jantjes, Wolhuter
9. Jantjes, Papier, Nohamba, ON MORE
8. Vermeulen. Notshe, Augustus
7. Botha, Carr, ON MORE
6, Kolisi, van Staden, ON MORE
Locks. Moerat, Orie, Andrews, Shickerling. Jenkins
TH Malherbe, du Toit, Sadie, Nyakane
LH Ox Nche, Kitshoff
Hookers Bongi, Scarra, ONE MORE

Bolded players have Bok CAPS

1 players. Might add a midfielder and a young lock.

Can't bring out replacements so you need a lot of extra cover.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
They don't care, Blue.

So long we are there at all costs apparently. You know, they'll be sitting at home watching rugby prime-time while we miss out on proper fucking currie cup due to this shit.

Fuck corona.

This weekend's game was 5AM on a SUNDAY. Who the fuck plays international rugby on a sunday if a Saturday is available?

Looks like it's another SUNDAY on the way/

dru

Tim Horan (67)
They don't care, Blue.

So long we are there at all costs apparently. You know, they'll be sitting at home watching rugby prime-time while we miss out on proper fucking currie cup due to this shit.

Fuck corona.

This weekend's game was 5AM on a SUNDAY. Who the fuck plays international rugby on a sunday if a Saturday is available?

Looks like it's another SUNDAY on the way/

There comes a time when you’re overdoing it, Ulrich.