• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship in an Aussie bubble?

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
There comes a time when you’re overdoing it, Ulrich.

I know, like many on here.

I'm pissed off dru.

Really, people have been fucking insane with their arguments here.

Anyway, enjoy the little rivalry with NZ.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
They don't care, Blue.

So long we are there at all costs apparently. You know, they'll be sitting at home watching rugby prime-time while we miss out on proper fucking currie cup due to this shit.

Fuck corona.

This weekend's game was 5AM on a SUNDAY. Who the fuck plays international rugby on a sunday if a Saturday is available?

Looks like it's another SUNDAY on the way/

Well the current games aren't the rugby championship, its not the same broadcast package so why should it be shifted to suit South Africa??

As i understand, through my rough calculation of time-zones, is that the Rugby Championship games will be played on Saturday at 8am and 1045am local time in South Africa.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Well the current games aren't the rugby championship, its not the same broadcast package so why should it be shifted to suit South Africa??

As i understand, through my rough calculation of time-zones, is that the Rugby Championship games will be played on Saturday at 8am and 1045am local time in South Africa.

They can play any time they want I suppose.

It's about broadcast moola at the end of the day.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
The South Africa Rugby Union (SARU) have continuously suggested that the competition may be a step too far for the Springboks, who have only recently returned to play following the suspension of the season due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

The competition is due to kick off on October 31st with the Springboks’ opening game a week later, but The Telegraph has reported that South Africa want to delay their entry into the tournament.

South Africa’s partial withdrawal will cost SARU millions of dollars in lost revenue while the other three SANZAAR nations will also take a sizeable hit.

Whatever form the competition takes in 2020, broadcast rights will need to be re-negotiated as a four-team, six-round competition was initially signed off on. One possible option is adding an additional team from Australia or Oceania to the competition [to play the first half of the RC, in lieu of the Boks].

Even if South Africa do join the competition from the outset, the delay in their travel to Australia will almost certainly lead to re-scheduling of their opening match Argentina.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/repo...aw-from-opening-rounds-of-rugby-championship/

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I like the idea of the ANZAC Barbarians side if South Africa pull out. They'd potentially be more competitive than the undercooked Springboks would be at the moment anyway, and the novelty would be cool. 15 players out of each squad, Brad Thorn as coach.

Why BT? Seems to me a better arrangement would be for the Super Rugby winning coaches from Aus and NZ, McKellar and Robertson, to share the coaching job.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Why BT? Seems to me a better arrangement would be for the Super Rugby winning coaches from Aus and NZ, McKellar and Robertson, to share the coaching job.
When I saw that I assumed it was because he is already here and has close ties to both NZ and Aus rugby.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
When I saw that I assumed it was because he is already here and has close ties to both NZ and Aus rugby.

Yeah that was my thinking and I didn't think too long about it, but there'd be plenty of good options including the likes of McKellar and Robertson if available. I think an ANZAC Barbarians should be possible at short notice. Australia A would be a bit easier logistically, but that wouldn't be as attractive commercially. It'd be cool seeing a team run out with half black, half gold jerseys.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
They can play any time they want I suppose.

It's about broadcast moola at the end of the day.

Time Zones. Someone will always come out with an awkward time slot when it's played the circumference of the planet. Plenty of tests from SA on around 3am our time. It is what it is.

Also interested, why can't the Euro based players won't be available until mid November when the Argentine players are due the next week or so? And why are the Japanese based players out? Not trying to add to the controversy, just wondering why.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Chasing SA broadcast moola resulted in the end of Super Rugby. Happy not to pursue that particular pie.

And all that money was subsequently pissed down the drain by the ARU, No, it did not go well at all.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Time Zones. Someone will always come out with an awkward time slot when it's played the circumference of the planet. Plenty of tests from SA on around 3am our time. It is what it is.

Also interested, why can't the Euro based players won't be available until mid November when the Argentine players are due the next week or so? And why are the Japanese based players out? Not trying to add to the controversy, just wondering why.

The International window start on 24 October. No club will release them before this date and as usual the French are making noises of refusing. Add travel + two weeks quarantine. At best they join the group by 11/12 November, the week after the first test. Another week to train with the squad to you only get to use some of them at the very earliest for the test against NZ on the 21 Nov. So do you take the chance with a smaller squad for the first two test, with the risk that a couple of injuries could be an issue as you cannot fly in replacements? Or do you go with a local squad and maybe fly in just a small handful? If they are going to come in my opinion forget the Euro players. Use these test to give a lot of guys a chance. Might lose all the games but possibly unearth a couple of gems. Looking for a silver lining here.

Japanese players have not trained with their clubs until very recently and none of them have played any games since March. Can't consider them at all.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Possible Squad with NO overseas players and my very limited knowledge these days:

Utility backs: Curwin Bosch, Damian Willemse (both cover 10, 15)
15. Gelant
Wingers: Specman, Skosan, Penxe, ONE MORE
Midfielders: Steyn, Am, Similane, TWO MORE
10, Jantjes, Wolhuter
9. Jantjes, Papier, Nohamba, ON MORE
8. Vermeulen. Notshe, Augustus
7. Botha, Carr, ON MORE
6, Kolisi, van Staden, ON MORE
Locks. Moerat, Orie, Andrews, Shickerling. Jenkins
TH Malherbe, du Toit, Sadie, Nyakane
LH Ox Nche, Kitshoff
Hookers Bongi, Scarra, ONE MORE

Bolded players have Bok CAPS

1 players. Might add a midfielder and a young lock.

Can't bring out replacements so you need a lot of extra cover.

Ok I am sticking to facts from here. This thread is now at risk of descending into a total shit show. Reset shall we?

I added Trevor Nyakane.

People who I would love to see coming over from Europe:

Marcel Coetzee 8/6
Du Preez Twin Lock / 6
Du Preez Twin 8
Elstad Lock / 6
De Allende
Kolbe
Faf

There are more but I see no point in bringing an uncapped player from Europe at the expense of a youngster. Too little upside in that.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
The International window start on 24 October. No club sill release them before this date and as usual the French are making noises of refusing. Add travel + two weeks quarantine. At best they join the group by 11/12 November, the week after the first test. Another week to train with the squad to you only get to use some of them at the very earliest for the test against NZ on the 21 Nov. So do you take the chance with a smaller squad for the first two test, with the risk that a couple of injuries could be an issue as you cannot fly in replacements? Or do you go with a local squad and maybe fly in just a small handful. If they are going to come in my opinion forget the Euro players. Use these test to give a lot of guys a chance. Might lose all the games but possible unearth a couple of gems.

Japanese players have not trained with their clubs until very recently and none of them have played any games since March. Can't consider them at all.

Thanks Blue,

You'd think in this time of corona, shutdown etc the clubs would be sympathetic to the situation.

Still, why are the Argies getting an earlier release?

Believe I read they're due soon and ready to go for the 1st scheduled test.
Or are my wires crossed?

Damn shame about the Japanese based players.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
The International window start on 24 October. No club will release them before this date and as usual the French are making noises of refusing. Add travel + two weeks quarantine. At best they join the group by 11/12 November, the week after the first test. Another week to train with the squad to you only get to use some of them at the very earliest for the test against NZ on the 21 Nov. So do you take the chance with a smaller squad for the first two test, with the risk that a couple of injuries could be an issue as you cannot fly in replacements? Or do you go with a local squad and maybe fly in just a small handful? If they are going to come in my opinion forget the Euro players. Use these test to give a lot of guys a chance. Might lose all the games but possibly unearth a couple of gems. Looking for a silver lining here.

I can't wait till the French clubs go broke.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Thanks Blue,

You'd think in this time of corona, shutdown etc the clubs would be sympathetic to the situation.

Still, why are the Argies getting an earlier release?

Believe I read they're due soon and ready to go for the 1st scheduled test.
Or are my wires crossed?

Damn shame about the Japanese based players.

The Argies who are here now cannot be Euro players. Or do you have info to the contrary? I don't think that's possible.

All I can find is this that suggests players like Sanchez will join them later:

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/argentina-name-racing-hero-imhoff-in-45-man-rugby-championship-squad/

13 guys from Europe only coming laterm

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
They don't care, Blue.

So long we are there at all costs apparently. You know, they'll be sitting at home watching rugby prime-time while we miss out on proper fucking currie cup due to this shit.

Fuck corona.

This weekend's game was 5AM on a SUNDAY. Who the fuck plays international rugby on a sunday if a Saturday is available?

Looks like it's another SUNDAY on the way/

Seriously though you can understand them doing Bledisloe on a Sunday at lunch as to not clash with AFL and NRL finals. It was a smart move. It was great for the local pubs who were full. They would be full in the evenings anyway, so this helped them pick up their business as it was lunch and everyone ate.

RC games will be on when you have your breakfast.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
nobody has even spoken to them about the Rugby Championship just yet.
200.gif