• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Championship XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It's odd that we come second in the RC and we would struggle to get a player in the best XV of the comp. Hooper, Timani, Alexander and Douglas are the only players I think have improved since the start of the competition from an Australian point of view. Higgers was great on the weekend but he needed to be played at 6 from the start of games to have a good impact.

In the past you would always have at least 1 Wallaby back in a Best XV team but this year I couldn't up up a good argument for any of them. Beale has looked good in the last couple of games but not in the class of others.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
The ABs were streets ahead of the rest

1. Woodcock
2. Hore
3. Franks
4. Etzebeth
5. Whitelock
6. Messam
7. Mccaw
8. Read
9. Smith
10. Carter
11. Jane
12. Nonu
13. Smith
14. Gear
15. Dagg

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't get that, if the ABs had the best player in every position they'd win games by 50 and not 15.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Most people acknowledge the All Blacks were well below what they are capable of in TRC (as were most teams). That said, they didn't drop a game.

Australia were next best with three wins.

The fact that the All Blacks didn't get out of second gear and still won three more games than anyone else says a lot about how much stronger they are than everyone else.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But you only rate them on their performances, not potential. There's a few Wallabies that didn't perform to their best..

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd struggle to put too many non All Blacks in a TRC XV.

Habana maybe on one wing. He scored some really good tries for the Springboks.

Etzebeth probably gets a gig next to Whitelock. Retallick and Romano were both good too.

Strauss is a chance at hooker but Hore is just as valid a selection.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
But he hasn't been the best seven in the RC.

I thought I'd try to quantify everyone's opinions on who played better in the rugby championship by looking at the stats, rather than each nation shouting "our 7 played better". Here are the results:

McCaw: 6 games, 79 tackles, 43 runs (229m), 42 rucks/mauls, 8 penalties, 5 miss tackles, 8 turnovers

Hooper: 5 games, 69 tackles, 38 runs (224m), 40 rucks/mauls, 5 penalties, 12 miss tackles, 6 turnovers

So all in all they are reasonably close together, Hooper missed more tackles but cost less in terms of penalties. That said, I took these stats from rugbystats.com.au and I'm guessing they're totally fucked anyway, especially given that according to the website Hooper only ran 21m against the argies on saturday (they must have attributed his 70m run off the lineout intercept to someone else).

Moral of the story? Fuck stats!

Conclusion? Hooper is better because he's Australian. McCaw is worse because he's not Australian.

Also for the kiwi reader:

Conclusion? McCaw us bittir bicaus hi's kiwi. Jandals suxpeck in me chullybin kiora how gud is Scribe bro! shut!

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Not sure why Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe is being overlooked, he was about on par with McCaw and just behind Read as the best foward of the comp.

Same with Patricio Albacete, easily the best second rower.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Not sure why Juan Martin Fernandez Lobbe is being overlooked, he was about on par with McCaw and just behind Read as the best foward of the comp.

You answered it yourself.

Fernandez Lobbe should probably appear on just about every bench though.

J

Jiggles

It's odd that we come second in the RC and we would struggle to get a player in the best XV of the comp. Hooper, Timani, Alexander and Douglas are the only players I think have improved since the start of the competition from an Australian point of view. Higgers was great on the weekend but he needed to be played at 6 from the start of games to have a good impact.

In the past you would always have at least 1 Wallaby back in a Best XV team but this year I couldn't up up a good argument for any of them. Beale has looked good in the last couple of games but not in the class of others.

o_O Douglas? I was really impressed with his debut, he went completely MIA against the Boks and didn't last 10 agains the Argies. Not sure if you can say he improved.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
I think he means since pre-comp, rather than as the RC went on. Douglas definitely added to his pre-RC reputation.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I don't think Boschs mum has had to wash his jersey for the whole tournament: Conrad Bloody Smith.
First picked in any team he's eligible for. Ok, maybe he's second after Carter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
o_O Douglas? I was really impressed with his debut, he went completely MIA against the Boks and didn't last 10 agains the Argies. Not sure if you can say he improved.
I use the term improved in relation to their reputations before the tournament and at the end.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd have the all backs but with Habana, Strauss and Albacete.

Maybe Roncero as well, and also francios louw at 6 ahead of messam.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Could I add that the #6 in SA rugby is usually the openside and #7 the blindside.
My TRC XV would be

1. Roncero
2. Strauss
3. Franks
4. Sharpe
5. Albacete
6. Alberts
7. McCaw
8. Read
9. Smith
10. Carter
11. Habana
12. Nonu
13. Bosch
14. Jane
15. Israel Dagg

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
If anyone thinks there is a better 13 playing rugby anywhere in the world who is better than Conrad I demand they express post me some of the delightful shit they are smoking.

Do yourself a favor. Run a couple of replays and watch Conrad whenever he is in picture. Look how he positions himself and those around him. Look at him yelling at players to organise the defense. He doesn't even have to ghost through those gaps and he is still a hell of a fucking rugby player.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He is the best 13 but he was not the best 13 in TRC which this thread is about. He missed the first 2 games after all.. Bosch's defensive work on the GC and in Wellington was incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.