• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Events For Good Causes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
Not sure whether a thread exists, but I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread to highlight events that any Rugby Club or team has put on for a decent cause. Whether it is for an injured player, a charity or any worthwhile cause.

If members of the Rugby community have selflessly done something for the greater good, I think their efforts should be highlighted and advertised.

Jaghond

Ted Fahey (11)
Elfster
Great Idea – and hope you don’t mind me adding the following.

Firstly -
The Thomas Kelly Youth Foundation Launch Event – to be held on Wednesday ,18th September. See link below.

http://thomaskellyyouthfoundation.org.au/event/

Thomas was an 18 year old former Kings student who was out with his girlfriend walking through Kings Cross when he was king hit in cowardly & unprovoked attack.

He passed away 2 days later when his life support system was turned off.

As a legacy, The Thomas Kelly Youth Foundation was established to reduce violence associated with alcohol in our community.

The support of the Rugby Community towards this event I am sure would be welcomed by the organizers.

The second one is not about raising funds………..but more about raising awareness for Beyond Blue

This Saturday, 17th August, the Hunters Hill RUFC Colts will be playing a highlight game of 7’s against the Balmain RUFC Colts prior to the Kentwell Cup 1st grade match at Boronia Park Hunters Hill.

Alongside custom jerseys, pants and socks to help push the Blue theme and concept, both Club’s and their respective Boards have committed to raise as much awareness as possible about the dreadful effects that can accompany Youth depression – and would greatly appreciate the Rugby Community’s assistance in also helping to raise people’s awareness.

This from the Beyond Blue website:

3 million Australians are living with depression or anxiety.

beyondblue is working to reduce the impact of depression and anxiety in the community by raising awareness and understanding, empowering people to seek help, and supporting recovery, management and resilience.

Any support from the Rugby Community at large to help spread the word would, I am sure, be greatly appreciated.

http://www.beyondblue.org.au/

Cheers
The Hound

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Elfster
Great Idea – and hope you don’t mind me adding the following.

Firstly -
The Thomas Kelly Youth Foundation Launch Event – to be held on Wednesday ,18th September. See link below.

http://thomaskellyyouthfoundation.org.au/event/

Thomas was an 18 year old former Kings student who was out with his girlfriend walking through Kings Cross when he was king hit in cowardly & unprovoked attack.

He passed away 2 days later when his life support system was turned off.

As a legacy, The Thomas Kelly Youth Foundation was established to reduce violence associated with alcohol in our community.

The support of the Rugby Community towards this event I am sure would be welcomed by the organizers.

The second one is not about raising funds………..but more about raising awareness for Beyond Blue

This Saturday, 17th August, the Hunters Hill RUFC Colts will be playing a highlight game of 7’s against the Balmain RUFC Colts prior to the Kentwell Cup 1st grade match at Boronia Park Hunters Hill.

Alongside custom jerseys, pants and socks to help push the Blue theme and concept, both Club’s and their respective Boards have committed to raise as much awareness as possible about the dreadful effects that can accompany Youth depression – and would greatly appreciate the Rugby Community’s assistance in also helping to raise people’s awareness.

This from the Beyond Blue website:

3 million Australians are living with depression or anxiety.

beyondblue is working to reduce the impact of depression and anxiety in the community by raising awareness and understanding, empowering people to seek help, and supporting recovery, management and resilience.

Any support from the Rugby Community at large to help spread the word would, I am sure, be greatly appreciated.

http://www.beyondblue.org.au/

Cheers
The Hound
some great work done by a mum with a bucket at TKS V Scots on the weekend raising money for the above Tom Kelly Youth Foundation and Beyond Blue is particularly relevant for GAGR if you read about the pressures (with the highs and lows) that we as a community unintentially put on the kids sometimes.
May they all remember they have our support in the bad times as well as the good...well done guys.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just finished tallying up all the off season surgical and rehab bills for the Junior Jarses and was feeling a little miserable but then I remembered how lucky we really are.

Things seem to have gone a little quiet about Seti. Not too much on google, http://setitafua.com.au/ doesn't seem to have any recent news.

Does anyone know how he is going with his ongoing treatment and recovery?

http://setitafua.com.au/ have posted a tally of about $240k + raised so far. Even with another $50k from ARU insurance, it will be very tough for the poor bugger.

I think that Norths are still raising funds for Seti Tafua.
More info on this thread:
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/seti-tafua.11205/#post-447854

SETI TAFUA

Born in 1988 in Wellington, New Zealand, Seti was recognised early as a gifted footballer having made Wellington representative teams from a young age.
A product of Scots College Wellington, Seti represented the school’s 1st XV in 2005 & 2006 and was selected for the New Zealand U17 team in 2005 and the Wellington U18’s in 2006. The years immediately following his schooling saw Seti gain selection for Samoa at Under 19 and Under20 level, where he played at the Junior World Cup in 2008.
Following in the steps of his uncle Dick Tafua, Seti arrived at Northern Suburbs in 2010 and quickly established himself as a popular and well-respected member of the playing group, entrenching himself as an integral member of the First Grade side. His tireless work rate, aggressive defending and willingness to continue to play without a PCL in his knee typify his selfless attitude towards the game.
Seti played 51 games for Northern Suburbs over the past three seasons, of which 48 were in 1stGrade.
The Accident

On Friday 22nd June, Seti ran on in the second half as replacement for his best mate Ben Matwitjow in First Grade. No one had any idea what the future held for this young man and perhaps the acknowledgement of his effort to help win the game against Warringah would have been different.
Seti had been selected this week in second grade, as he was heading home to Wellington to his family in just over a week. An integral member of the Crusader Squad he respected the coaches decision with a smile, nod of his head and his famous hand shake.
On the fine Saturday afternoon, Seti was having his usual rampaging game and discussion with the referee about the laws of the game. He had hit several rucks, jumped in the lineouts, made tackles and pushed in scrums for much of the first half. Doing what he has done for years, he hit a breakdown the same way as he has done for years and in an instant his life changed.
He dislocated and fractured his C5 and C6 vertebrae and has no movement below his waist.
This was indeed a freak accident but has changed Seti’s life for ever.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
This is what I love about Rugby. At my club, many years ago, we had a long time member playing with us. One of those typical 'good guys'. He'd recently become a new dad and life was good. In a game he hit the ball up, I was behind him. He was tackled awkwardly and there was a loud crack: he had broken his leg.

He was a casual (in terms of his job) so had no sick leave and no way to support his new family for the many weeks he would be off work. We are not a big club but the guys got together and put on a big fundraiser for him and raised (what I remember to be) a large sum of money to try and tide him over.

Great thread! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.