• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Has Massive Problems !

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Finland Fella

The World Cup is meant to be the codes gala event where the virtues of the game are purportedly on show for the World to see (and enjoy ???). Sweet Hughie!!! ...What have we endured over the past month ... one semi final where sergeant major pedantry consumes any semblance of common sense - the other, a one try fest where the dark night smothered the stuttering and hopelessly eclipsed shards of promised light.

Seriously, Rugby is in big trouble !

The rule makers need to un clench their shockingly taught butt cheeks and make the game into a spectacle. Stubborn, self righteous ostrich posturing (ie more of this RWC toss) = rugby oblivion.

Their was a fork in the road way back in the earliest years of the last century - we went right and ended in a muddy mire of dead ended pig headedness - the road left was far more maleable and those who took it became hell bent on showing up athleticism, skill and providing a wide reaching spectacle. The road left is now known as the rugby league super highway. And people flock to marvel at the talent on display.

Ben Alexander being popped out of a back peddling scrum, Stephen Moore entering the ruck 3 and a half degrees east of the gate, Genia box kicking possesion away like a bloke who'd rather not be there, slow down the phases boys - that's entertainment ... PLEASE !!!

If this is what World Cups are going to offer - can we make them say, every ten years ?

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
There are some issues with application of the laws and inconsistency.

You equate law application and problems in the Wallabies like they are inextricably linked.

A bit hysterical.

Love the World Cup.

Maybe a solution for you is to only watch every second one or not at all?

F

Finland Fella

Maybe a solution for you is to only watch every second one or not at all?

I think my point is that the game is becoming such a physically congested, rule heavy yawn that more and more people will be following your suggested solution.

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
I think my point is that the game is becoming such a physically congested, rule heavy yawn that more and more people will be following your suggested solution.

The casual observer may not be enamoured. He who hasn't played the game or has a son/daughter that hasn't played it probably will enjoy AFL or the less technical NRL. Frankly, I couldn't give a rat's arse. I consider this game to be mine, to be the one I love the most and I have loved every minute of this Rugby World Cup. I have found most scrums, most kick and chases to be absorbing.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Bollocks.

This has been the most entertaining world cup in years. More upsets, more drama. It's been awesome. If you don't like it go away. Not going to change the rules for everyone that whinges. We have traditions.

Rugby is awesome.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
If you found yourself watching 42-6 drubbing of NZ in the league followed by the AB's 20-6 win over the Wallabies and preferred the earlier match, then watch league and perhaps leave us scrum, lineout, ruck, maul, tactical kicking, physical domination loving sports fans alone.

I've never argued that rugby is for everybody because it simlpy never will be. But I love it, 1.5 mill fans at the RWC loved it so I think the game is actually in pretty good health.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
I can't watch rugby league.

The rule changes for league were base on:

1) We want to make our game more entertaining
2) People seem to love it when people score tries
3) Lets make it easier to score tries

The result is very fit men running backwards and forwards until they get too tired and someone else runs past them. There also seems to be a very large component of lying on top of a player to slow him down, and while you're there, elbow him in the face. That's not interesting. It's one dimensional, and every game is the same. And people have hardly flocked - two states in Australia - those who can't get a gig in Super Rugby in NZ, and Northern England... Is there anyone else that plays league?

Rugby is a game of competing strategy - you must master the basics, and then find weaknesses in your opponents.

Your argument is like saying "Snap is a better card game than Poker"

Just because we lost doesn't mean the game is to blame.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I turned off the League halfway through as it was so one sided and boring.

I actually watch a fair bit of NRL (I've been a Tigers fan since I was about 6) but find Rugby League test matches to be about the biggest waste of time ever.

I really can only watch the team that I follow though. The actual game itself is pretty boring. It is really just a sophisticated game of forcings back.

F

Finland Fella

Gentleman this was not meant to be a rugby v league thread.
My point in mentioning league was to simply highlight the long held philosophical difference...ie making the game accesible to a more neutral audience (I know, you don't get many Penrith Panthers supporters in Buenos Aires or Bucharest).
The breakdown (as ever) is an adjudication free for all - just listen to the commentary on these big games - it's a never ending disagreement on referees interpretations. This just can't be good for any code. That the Welsh could be so man handled by heavy rule booking in a World Cup semi ... come on ... that doesnt make you ask a question or two ...the point of sport isn't the result, it isn't that everything is played to the letter no matter what ... it needs be about the contest... I think rugby just needs a tad less starch and a smidgen more common sense. It is after all a game and not a discipline.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Silliness.

Just because rugby struggles for viewership on Australian television outside World Cup cycles doesn't mean there are fundamental problems with the game itself.

Patto.

Allen Oxlade (6)
Finland Fella;304821...the point of sport isn't the result said:
it needs be about the contest..[/B]. I think rugby just needs a tad less starch and a smidgen more common sense. It is after all a game and not a discipline.

Absolutely agree...it needs to be about the contest. That is exactly the major point of difference between mungo ball and Rugby. From kick off to final whistle Rugby is a contest for possession, make one simple error and lose the ball, in league if you have it and someone steals it the ref will give it back to you and penalise the other side for contesting possession.

Rugby = contest, league = no contest, therefore Rugby wins the contest.

F

Finland Fella

Good question.

I guess I could say something unhelpfully generic like, "Tear up the book and throw half of it away"... but I wont (although I just did).
Well I'm no genius (sure to be quoted in future posts), but tries need be worth more than two penalty goals (so we'll make tries worth 7). Drop goals back to 2.
Open side flankers need bring references to each and every game, showing they are honest and law abiding lads with the best interests of sportsmanship at the core of their being, and once the officials have had a collective laugh about these clearly forged documents they will ask the scavangers to leave the arena. So the numbering shall move from loose head number 1 up to blindside flanker 6 as it is now - then straight to number 8. The scrum will look a little weird with just one wing forward however the defensive 6 shall be forced to bind on the opposite side meaning the natural screw will counter balance. A plethora of blindside plays may eventuate in the early days of this rule however master coaches such as Henry, Deans, Johnson, etc will find an appropriate counter (or not). The 'Touch, Pause, Engage' thing shall be replaced with READY, STEADY, GO!" This seems to be a minor difference but believe me the kids'll love it and the future of the game lies with the kids. Whenever a player is penalized the restart will be required be undertaken by the offending players opposite number. ie last weekend if Dagg had offended then Ashley Cooper could shoot for goal, kick for touch or tap and run. This will spread the skills right across the park and could one day lead to a tight head winning a World Cup final with an angled toe poke from 45 metres out (the fans love props having a kick).

Ok all this revolutionizing has made me light headed and I need a sandwich and a coffee ... sure to have some more rule changes this afternoon however.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
You can have your game, mate. I'll keep watching rugby.

Edit: flippant, sorry. I'd like to see the scoring modified so that tries are worth 6 and conversions 1.

Status
Not open for further replies.