• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Has Massive Problems !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Disagree. I know you guys feel aggrieved about the policing of your scrum but for the most part I think scrum resets were a minor issue in this World Cup.

I don't disagree with you. I was just referring to the fact that there has been a lot of talk on this forum of getting rid of the power hit, not depowering the scrum all together. That would be a horrendous option as we'd end up with a league scrum.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Tell you what, I have loved WC, and stuff everyone, we don't need to change rules, I know some are a bit complicated for some people, hey go and watch Mungo or something and leave me to enjoy the best game ever invented!!!!!

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
I dont think there are anything wrong with the rules just their interpretation, too many refs are inconsistent, no two refs will ref a game the same what one deems an offence another will let go, I know what you say play the ref Thats fine, but there should be a standard that all refs try to achive.

F

Finland Fella

Then we should improve the referees if they are the problem.

Now sadist man, I'm the last guy to whinge on about ref's because I don't think it's allways their fault.
Seems to me the rugby laws are about as open to interpretation as is the Good Book (you know the King James thingy).
For every fundamentalist wanting to stone to death Welshmen who lift in the tackle their are a handful of sky pointers willing to let Richie McCaw get real creative at the breakdown (Pocock too). It's not so much the ref's as the many and varied interpretations. It needs be simplified or the ref's need to be attending the same meetings ... or something (yeah probably that last bit)

F

Finland Fella

So we're all in agreement that rugby doesn't have massive problems?

No ... I still see the problem as massive.
Rugby is the 4th ranked footy code in Oz ... keep up the "we love rugger and youse can all bugger orf" attitude and it'll more than likely keep slipping (they play grid iron in some western sydney suburban parks you know). It needs be more viewer friendly. Sport is entertainment, hopefully on and off the field.

So No ... it's way too pedantic ... ie massive problem.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yet, throughout most of the world rugby only sits behind soccer.

It's an international game, and quite a popular one at that.

Australia is a pretty insignificant nation in the grand scheme of things, and the game is not going to change to try and appeal to the mungo and AFL supporters in Australia.

We're not going to beat those sports in this country. There is room for growth but it doesn't revolve around any of the rules of the game.

People didn't seem to have any problems understanding the sport 10+ years ago when Australia was consistently successful.

People also play frisbee, and hacky sack in parks. But they're not going to be any form of serious competition.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
No ... I still see the problem as massive.
Rugby is the 4th ranked footy code in Oz ... keep up the "we love rugger and youse can all bugger orf" attitude and it'll more than likely keep slipping (they play grid iron in some western sydney suburban parks you know). It needs be more viewer friendly. Sport is entertainment, hopefully on and off the field.

So No ... it's way too pedantic ... ie massive problem.

Here's an idea for you. There are other countries in the world besides Australia. It's so unbelievably arrogant to think everyone in the world should change because we have Rugby League and AFL.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
There are minor tweaks that could and probably will be made to the rules regarding scrums, the breakdowns and the TMO but fundamentally the game is in a very good place. Rugby isn't for everyone, and shouldn't sell its soul to try to gain more fans.

CHS 72

Bob McCowan (2)
I have argued that comparing Union to League is like comparing "chess to checkers". One is a simple game, being made more simple, to appeal to the masses, while the other is a complex absorbing game, where the players need to plan and think ahead to achieve their objective.

domoregan

Frank Row (1)
Rugby is in a great place, and is poised to become a truly global sport in the next decade.. That being said maybe if you miss a penalty shot and it is grounded or dead, the other team could get a scrum option where the penalty was awarded, and not just the 22. It would certainly make Francois' kicks more interesting.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I have argued that comparing Union to League is like comparing "chess to checkers". One is a simple game, being made more simple, to appeal to the masses, while the other is a complex absorbing game, where the players need to plan and think ahead to achieve their objective.

And internationally it doesn't appeal to the masses.

Australia and Papua New Guinea are the only two countries where the game is really held in such high regard...

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Rugby is in a great place, and is poised to become a truly global sport in the next decade.. That being said maybe if you miss a penalty shot and it is grounded or dead, the other team could get a scrum option where the penalty was awarded, and not just the 22. It would certainly make Francois' kicks more interesting.

Yep. And the same for a dropgoal (which should be reduced to 2 points).

Little tweaks like that are needed, not wholesale changes.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Yep. And the same for a dropgoal (which should be reduced to 2 points).

Little tweaks like that are needed, not wholesale changes.
I sure agree about drop goal, have said it for awhile, take it back for scrum stops it being an easy way to kick ball dead, interesting thought about penalty......

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I don't get the reflex dislike about drop goals. They're just another facet of a complex, fascinating game. They're always a gamble - reward them appropriately. You still have to kick more than two to equal one converted try.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Spotted the thread and opened it hoping it would be something different. I think that there are massive problems and they have nothing to do with refs or points or opening the game up. The problem is that the curent structures are unsustainable. The infrastructure required to maintain the upper levels of the game (that which we want to sell to th epublic) are taking increasing amounts of $$$s, starving the lower levels, where the future players are going to come from. This is driving destructive arguments NH vs SH fuelled by JON and his lackies in the press with talk of non participaton at RWC 2015. The welsh have finally realised the benefit of the WRU having team available for training in advance of internationals. there is at last talk of top players being contracted to WRU. However this also runs the risk of overpaying underperformers etc. Not sure what the answers are. But I can see that ARU would not be screaming so shrilly about NH IRB conspiracies if all was rosy in the Union garden

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The RWC if anything has proven exactly how strong a position Rugby is building for itself. Some people can go ahead and build fantastic theories of its inevitable demise but if they need (and we all know whom I am referring here) to be constantly dazzled with over hyped monotonous bullshit, then go watch League.

By 2019 Rugby will have moved forward once again and this conversation will be long forgotten.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
The RWC if anything has proven exactly how strong a position Rugby is building for itself. Some people can go ahead and build fantastic theories of its inevitable demise but if they need (and we all know whom I am referring here) to be constantly dazzled with over hyped monotonous bullshit, then go watch League.

By 2019 Rugby will have moved forward once again and this conversation will be long forgotten.

I've really enjoyed the RWC. think the kiwis have done a fantastic job of staging it. The Australian RWC was also excellent and have great memories of SA. The French RWC was in contrast piss poor spectacle, and the welsh world cup wasn't really in Wales. We wont be in a fantastic position if the $$$s situation is not sorted.

Status
Not open for further replies.