• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League really gives me the shits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Oh well, league can pay for his development. And then you will get your way and he will come back to Union :).

Actually been suggesting to him in light of the sevens in 2016 Olympics to get his school to play in sevens tournaments and have fun doing so...and perhaps continue doing so after leaving school...

What are the odds of many league players playing only sevens and then return to league...the defensive patterns aren't dissimilar eh?

It wouldn't be far fetched to have second tier and lower league clubs entering teams in sevens rugby tournaments in the near future...

A marketing wiz at NRL would see the possibilities of NRL clubs playing 'sevens' league before the season proper ...

B

Burke's Boot

Riddler good thread. I would like to go further and suggest that the the IRB claim exclusive rights to the name Rugby for sport similar to what the Frogs did with Champagne and Greeks with Feta Cheese and not just because this code with its incorrigible, tawdry culture sullies Rugby's good name at will. RL also has a tendency to ride Rugby's coattails and with national Olympic Committes around the world investing in rugby right now it is best to stop this by getting rid of the ambiguity of having two sports called Rugby.

B

Burke's Boot

Gday Lee im now 36. What year did you leave SJC? Interestingly i also support the Rats but didn't put them up there as a club side as i like the Marlins too having grown up all over Manly-Warringah, Hunters Hill aside :)

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
I love both games.

Whoever wrote that class bullshit, needs to give themself an uppercut. that sort of shithouse bullshit doesn't belong anywhere near Rugby Union. The game for all people from all walks of life.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
BB, His Ancientness (aka Lee Grant) left the college before it was founded. THAT's how old he is. 36? Really!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Gday Lee im now 36. What year did you leave SJC?

I didn't go there. My high school years were spent in NZ after my dad was transferred there.

But my boys went to Joeys and even before that I had been infected with Joeys rugby as my brother in law had gone there and dragged me along to games.

I still have allegiance even though both my kids were asked to leave by Ernie - it must be some kind of record.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
MR, I agree that it would be nice to open the game up a bit, beyond GPS boys. I'm a CHS kid, and played in the country union.

On the other hand, my experience of rugby league and its supporters in this country is overwhelmingly negative. Anyone who wants to watch/play rugby is cool with me, as long as they make some effort to familiarise themselves with the social codes of the game. League (and touch footy, and cricket, oddly enough) seems to attract people who take it too seriosuly, have no sense of humour, are excessively aggro, go psychotic on the piss, etc etc.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
In Christchurch at a school that doesn't exist any more. Once I was there for a visit and I drove past my old haunts and my school wasn't there. It was a training college.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
I lived and worked in Wellington. Talk about bloody cold - I've also lived in Canberra and it wasn't a patch on the Windy City......

Q

QueenslandCrusader

For many a year, I have bitten my tongue at the deplorable antics of those idiots in that other code as they have tried their best, and usually succeeded, to bring the word rugby into disrepute not to mention me having to question whether Darwin had in fact got his theory of evolution.

Sex scandals, violence, drugs, gross indecency, rape, drunkenness, public nuisance, financial impropriety, community abuse through pokies, the list goes on. All of the offences usually met with just a token para or two in that shit rag called the Tele, a load of buffoonery on that abysmal TV show and everything goes on as normal.

But the episodes of the last two weeks have brought me to the end of my tether. Firstly, a star pinup boy of the 'sport' repeatedly swears at a referee in full view of the cameras with all his words clearly picked up by the audio. For some strange reason, the ref decides not to take any action on the pitch but quite rightly the player is hauled up before the judiciary who then decide to take no action. Given the player's very high profile status, there are no doubt hundreds, if not thousands, of poor misguided kids who will have posters of this plank pinned up on their bedroom wall who now think it is perfectly OK to abuse and swear at a referee or, by extension, any other authoritative figure in their life. Fine example set there.

And then in the past week, another pinup boy of the code stoops to the despicable act of headbutting another player. For this heinous crime, he doesnt get sent off but is placed on report and then brought before the judiciary. The wise old souls on the panel decide that because he didnt tilt his head right back before administering the blow, it wasnt really a headbutt and therefore doesnt deserve any punishment. Meanwhile, another player, not quite such a superstar pinup boy, correctly gets brought before the judiciary for a dangerous tackle and gets a week off for his troubles. This clearly sets the tone that it is OK to fight, give faux headbutts etc on the pitch but dont go too hard in the tackles. And again, no doubt some stupid impressionable kids will have seen there hero been told there is nothing wrong with issuing the odd headbutt or two and will take that into practise in the classrooms.

All up, the actions of that sport, all it stands for and the problems it cause makes me sick to the pit of my stomach.

Oh yeah, and the game really sucks too.

There, got that off my chest.

Haha what a joke... Rugby League is the superior game, it's more exciting, it's fast, it's attacking. Why do rugby union purists seem to have to persuade each other that Rugby League isn't a great sport? A few bad eggs doesn't say anything about the game itself.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Used to love it, actually played it as a junior, but just cannot watch it any more. I find it just tedious. Metronomic. Contrived. Plus I have absolutely no interest in the result of any game of league, at all. Zip.

So I did not see the incidents that are referred to. But it does make you wonder what the sponsors think, not the bottom feeders that come and go from the "sport", but a serious organisation like St George Bank.

Status
Not open for further replies.