• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby League really gives me the shits

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I would rather watch a scrum reset three times than watch a league player do the same thing three plays in a row...run straight and get gang tackled by two to three players.
I will quickly go out of my way to say it is a horribly boring and uninventive game with at best two decision makers who generally make the same decisions over and over, that being run run run run kick.
now i will suggest we tell any mungo trolls that hop on here to get bent and we get back to rugby.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I have to say that I still follow rugby league. I've been a Balmain Tigers fan since I was a little kid and still watch their match on TV almost every week.

I will happily say that league is a very simplistic and boring game compared to rugby and I have no interest in watching games that don't involve my team. I will happily watch a rugby game between two teams I don't follow though.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Well, obviously Wests Tigers now.

The worst thing about league is that it has completely become a game where your keys players are fullback, the halves, and hooker. Most of the other players on the field are almost the same body shape (except maybe the front rowers).

I think one of the real beauties of rugby is that it has remained a sport for anyone. There aren't many sports where every body shape is desired and indeed needed.

Also, I never got heated. My first reply was simply to pay him out.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Grew up watching both codes. Understood League more but loved Rugby test matches & got into it at 16. Now, I still watch League but don't enjoy it as much as I used to, it's not like it was when I was growing up. Too much wrestling, arm bars, & other crap. Rugby has become more enjoyable.

I will say I'm a little more symapthetic to the off field incidents of league players. I'm hardly an angel myself & I've seen plenty of debauchery from other Rugby players in my region. That being said I'd say League has more cultural issues than Rugby by a long way.

For mine its about watching sport, & more sport. If Rugby isn't on & League is then why not. It beats cheesy soap operas...

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
I still watch League but don't enjoy it as much as I used to, it's not like it was when I was growing up...
For mine its about watching sport, & more sport. If Rugby isn't on & League is then why not.
I'm finding it harder and harder to watch a game of League these days. Watched the Dogs vs. the Sea Eagles tonight. I laughed that the game was decided by a penalty goal. I thought that was the scourge of Rugby ;)

Edit: decided was the wrong word. It was the difference between the scores. For those who care it was kicked at the end of the 1st half... But you know what I meant.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm finding it harder and harder to watch a game of League these days. Watched the Dogs vs. the Sea Eagles tonight. I laughed that the game was decided by a penalty goal. I thought that was the scourge of Rugby ;)

I haven't watched that game I was going to catch the replay to see how it went down. Yes I love the irony of the penalty goal or drop kick deciding many 'golden pt' games too. It's harder to watch I think because they've just got so much involved now in the defense with all the wrestling which give the defensive line so much more time. I'm thinking they should restrict the amount of sub changes to tire people out more. I don't know but they'd have to do something soon.

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
on-a-horse-700x525.jpg

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I would rather watch a scrum reset three times than watch a league player do the same thing three plays in a row...run straight and get gang tackled by two to three players.

You obviously haven't spotted the subtle variations in league tactics, Sir Arthur. The standard play is biff, bash, barge, pass, run, kick. The better teams find a sequence of bash, biff, barge, pass, run, kick yields pleasing results. I was gobsmacked to see the Melbourne Storm run a barge, biff, bash, run, pass, kick play recently; that bit of improvisation encapsulates their success and says it all really.

Sir Arthur, you'll have to get nurse to make sure your spectacles are at hand to pick up these subtleties.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Intriguing, Lindommer. The differences between biff and bash are obvious in theory, but perhaps not so evident in reality. I'll have to pay extra close attention and pick up the hidden beauty of the game. I will admit that i do always appreciate it when a player runs into contact with both hands on the ball at gut level and then...WHAM....they change it up and go into contact with the ball at chest level the very next play. as if to say to the defense...here it is, come and get it.

lastly - i will never understand the seeming obsession with the idea that league players are better defenders than union players. virtually every tackle in league is made by 2-3 players due to the fact that they need not have any fear of overcommitting to the breakdown. the way the game works now, they have a good 5 seconds to reset the defensive line. one guy high, one guy low and one guy just hanging on doesn't constitute good D in my book.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
I don't think that League fans can really gripe on about our scrum resets either. They have meaningless uncontested scrums, and it still usually takes them 2-3 attempts at packing it before the ref gives up and lets it go.

M

Muttonbird

Is it ok to like both games? I'm from New Zealand and New Zealand are World Champs at both codes. Most sensible Kiwis appreciate Rugby and RL.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Is it ok to like both games? I'm from New Zealand and New Zealand are World Champs at both codes. Most sensible Kiwis appreciate Rugby and RL.
I'm world Champ at sledge hammer golf at Duchess circa 1988 Is that as meaningful as League world champs?

Status
Not open for further replies.