• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I think a Fijian Super Team would struggle to fund itself, given their NRC team is IRB backed.

That being said, with relatively small cost of living in Fiji, players wouldn't need to be paid a lot and they'd have to hire a younger 'up-and-coming' coach. It could be executed on for a small price.

The team would have to accept (much like their 7s) that they'd be a feeder for European sides and let players leave with a smile and a handshake. No big deal as long as they're capped before they go.
Tv money - sponsorship for super rugby might work to fund Fiji side but where would get decent on ground revenue at the gate maybe not - to be successful they would need to retain best players and paying their stars won't cut it as they will just be poached by other countries professional leagues. Got to make funding work.

Comparing to nrc which is fledgling 3rd tier semi professional comp is not valid comparison to what may happen in super rugby.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Immediate course of action for SANZAAR to reform Super Rugby:
  • cull Sunwolves
  • cull Southern Kings
  • add second South American team (I'd like to see a combined Argentinean/Uruguayan team based in Montevideo)
  • add PI team based in new stadium in Fiji
  • revert to three conferences and REDUCE TRAVEL

I agree with the culling of the Kings. But the SARU are currently in talks with the guy behind PRO Rugby about either buying or partnering with the franchise/province.

A second Sth American team is needed and I agree re: location.

I actually want keep the Sunwolves. I think they added something different to Super Rugby this year and were competitive forvthe most part. The extremely limited preparation time didn't help. With the emergence of Ali Baba as an investor in Rugby in China we need to look to embrace Asia more not less.

The three conference set up absolutely needs to be broght back. No questions about it. I'd move the Sunwolves into our conference, the proposed Fijian franchise into the NZ and well it depends on what happens in SA but that could be worked around.

Personally, with the guy behind PRO Rugby looking into the Kings SANZAAR should approach him about transitioning his competition into Super Rugby. There were 6 or so groups keen to get on board with the Pro12 speculation. Super Rugby is by far the stronger brands and would give him 5 or 6 saleable franchises prettt quickly. Then we could split Super Rugby into divisions.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think a Fijian Super Team would struggle to fund itself, given their NRC team is IRB backed.

That being said, with relatively small cost of living in Fiji, players wouldn't need to be paid a lot and they'd have to hire a younger 'up-and-coming' coach. It could be executed on for a small price.

The team would have to accept (much like their 7s) that they'd be a feeder for European sides and let players leave with a smile and a handshake. No big deal as long as they're capped before they go.

According to the article the proposal already has backing to the tune of £20m from four international companies and two equipment companies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Whilst being tactful, Fiji is a lower SES country, so a viewer there is likely to not be worth much as a viewer in a more affluent country. I'm not sure how much money TV and sponsorship will fetch.

I don't think retaining stars is realistic either, 7s is their number one game and they can't do it there.

A lot of the rugby games in Fiji are purchased by the government and screened on their equivalent of the ABC.

According to the article the proposal already has backing to the tune of £20m from four international companies and two equipment companies.

Fair enough, but much like the Rebels and the Force, money runs out. All teams need to be seen as things that will exist forever.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Whilst being tactful, Fiji is a lower SES country, so a viewer there is likely to not be worth much as a viewer in a more affluent country. I'm not sure how much money TV and sponsorship will fetch.

I don't think retaining stars is realistic either, 7s is their number one game and they can't do it there.

A lot of the rugby games in Fiji are purchased by the government and screened on their equivalent of the ABC.

Fair enough, but much like the Rebels and the Force, money runs out. All teams need to be seen as things that will exist forever.

I honestly don't think the extra value comes from domestic viewership of this proposed team. Much like Super Rugby itself it would be as much about international viewership as it is about domestic.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
I honestly don't think the extra value comes from domestic viewership of this proposed team. Much like Super Rugby itself it would be as much about international viewership as it is about domestic.

Will the owners of SANZAAR be happy to do any signifigant revenue sharing on the TV rights?

Supplementary question, how much do Argentina and the other new teams get as their share, if anything.....

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes and the appeal of Fijian rugby as a brand and quality of players. Whilst would like a Fijian team in super rugby that is only if commercially can be viable and take some planning. No rush let's see how their second tier players do in the nrc is a good start. Even better if they eventually expand the length of the nrc competition over time.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yes and the appeal of Fijian rugby as a brand and quality of players. Whilst would like a Fijian team in super rugby that is only if commercially can be viable and take some planning. No rush let's see how their second tier players do in the nrc is a good start. Even better if they eventually expand the length of the nrc competition over time.

Why would they extend it? It's in line with the NZ and SA model - which is very successful.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
In other news. The IRFU has just announced a partnership with the University of Notre Dame. The agreement appears to cover a range of aspects including player and coaching development as well as facilities and commercial opportunities.

To add to that AEG has launched its Rugby Division.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Good article on Germany.
Germany's rugby team will face South American opposition in the coming weekends in their first Autumn international series, part of their bid to qualify for the 2019 Rugby World Cup.
Rugby is on the rise in Germany with their mens' sevens team only narrowly failing to qualify for the Olympics this year.
And next Februry and March, the Germany XV will play in the Rugby Europe Championship -- a new competition, a grade below the Six Nations -- against the likes of Russia, Georgia, Romania, Spain and Belgium.
The top team will qualify directly for the 2019 World Cup, held in Japan.

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/international/news/161111/Germany_face_South_Americans_in_debut

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Good article on Germany.
Germany's rugby team will face South American opposition in the coming weekends in their first Autumn international series, part of their bid to qualify for the 2019 Rugby World Cup.
Rugby is on the rise in Germany with their mens' sevens team only narrowly failing to qualify for the Olympics this year.
And next Februry and March, the Germany XV will play in the Rugby Europe Championship -- a new competition, a grade below the Six Nations -- against the likes of Russia, Georgia, Romania, Spain and Belgium.
The top team will qualify directly for the 2019 World Cup, held in Japan.

http://www.supersport.com/rugby/international/news/161111/Germany_face_South_Americans_in_debut

They've got Brazil this weekend in another game that will be nationally televised.

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
They've got Brazil this weekend in another game that will be nationally televised.

And they also have reached their highest ever world ranking after the win last weekend.

Find it amazing that Italy don't have to play Georgia to stay in the 6N with the current rankings the way they are.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
All in all chaps reading this thread, there is the pretty strong feeling that rugby is growing around the world, which is great.
I really hopeful about the Fijian Super team, and I think it would be great if it was just a Fijian team and not PI, and with the hint in the article of Tonga maybe getting a chance soon too, we could get very very good not only Super rugby comp, but strength in international game in area!

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I don't think Tonga would be any chance of being able to support a Super Rugby team. Same as Samoa. Fiji has a chance because of its much bigger population.

It'd be more realistic to have a PI team based in Auckland or Western Sydney that played the odd game in Tonga and Samoa.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
All in all chaps reading this thread, there is the pretty strong feeling that rugby is growing around the world, which is great.
I really hopeful about the Fijian Super team, and I think it would be great if it was just a Fijian team and not PI, and with the hint in the article of Tonga maybe getting a chance soon too, we could get very very good not only Super rugby comp, but strength in international game in area!

Tonga much like Samoa are no chance. For differing reasons. Samoa has been crippled by corruption while Tonga just hasn't the resources or infrastructure to support a team.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
And they also have reached their highest ever world ranking after the win last weekend.

Find it amazing that Italy don't have to play Georgia to stay in the 6N with the current rankings the way they are.
Commercial reasons drive that.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Immediate course of action for SANZAAR to reform Super Rugby:
  • cull Sunwolves
  • cull Southern Kings
  • add second South American team (I'd like to see a combined Argentinean/Uruguayan team based in Montevideo)
  • add PI team based in new stadium in Fiji
  • revert to three conferences and REDUCE TRAVEL
On the right track Lindo, but I'd be sorry to see the Sunwolves go.

An alternative might be to retain the Sunwolves and Kings (no matter how undeserved), and add the Fiji and combined Argy/Uruguay sides to make four conferences of 5 teams each. (Sunwolves and two South America teams to SA conferences might not work so well). Each conference plays home and away against same conference sides for 8 games, and three games against sides from the three other conferences, 9 games leading to 17 games in total. Top two conference sides go to 8 team final series.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
When has their ever been a 'combo' professional sports team that has seen success? Not a merger team, not a touring team, but a combo team.

An Argentinian team that signs a couple of Uruguayans is one thing, but a combo team? A combo PI team? They're different cultures with historical friction, and they're a decent plane's ride away from each other.