• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
The FER (Spanish RU) have secured a broadcast deal for their top line competition the Division De Honor with Eurosport. It will feature a game of the week to start but has scope to expand. Not sure if it will be broadcast across the entirety of the Eurosport network (which is some 30 countries) but nonetheless a step in the right direction.

The first game will be on January 22nd and will feature the Valladolid derby between VRAC and Sliverstorm.

Edit: Turns out Eurosports network spans 59 countries. If they manange to get it broadcast network wide that would be a huge win for the competition. Even if it only goes with the Spanish feed it will have a reach of about 5 million homes which is a little more than 25% of all households in Spain.

Do they have a team in the Challenge Cup (or whatever they call the 2nd Div Champions Cup)?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Do they have a team in the Challenge Cup (or whatever they call the 2nd Div Champions Cup)?

No, they do have a team in the third tier competition. They are represented by their reigning champions El Salvador Silverstorm. They actually just won the Copa Iberica against the Portugese equivalent.

Chile have qualified for the Las Vegas, Vancouver and Hong Kong legs of the World Series.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
After all the angst that has followed PRO Rugby over the past couple of months signs of perhaps it not being dead just yet have emerged as players were apparently informed that the preseason for season 2 will kick off in April. According to the source PRO has been undergoing a restructure and with the advent of the player's association hopefully issues that have plagued it in its first season won't be present in season 2.

The restructure will be interesting. I've been floating the NRC model to many of the Americans I know and on other sites relevant to US Rugby and many seem open to it. I personally think that it would provide a solid launching pad to move forward with in the States.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
All good points WorkingClassRugger, I think with the literal size of the US, and how there are so many population centres, it makes sense from a cost perspective to have MORE and not less teams.

This, coupled with a conference/division system (very familiar to Americans) will bring travel and travel costs way down and open the potential to seamlessly integrate Canada (eventually, when everyone is more agreeable) without them having to be TOO integrated.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
All good points WorkingClassRugger, I think with the literal size of the US, and how there are so many population centres, it makes sense from a cost perspective to have MORE and not less teams.

This, coupled with a conference/division system (very familiar to Americans) will bring travel and travel costs way down and open the potential to seamlessly integrate Canada (eventually, when everyone is more agreeable) without them having to be TOO integrated.

Yeah, I have actually suggested ten teams 5 East and 5 West. Two conferences playing 8 games each to start. Top 2 progress to the playoffs. This would mean they wouldn't lose any games but run in a much more compact competition.

Part of what I have been floating involves each team running with a $300,000 salary cap. So this would lead to an increase in salaries but would be mitigated somewhat by savings on travel etc.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, I have actually suggested ten teams 5 East and 5 West. Two conferences playing 8 games each to start. Top 2 progress to the playoffs. This would mean they wouldn't lose any games but run in a much more compact competition.

Part of what I have been floating involves each team running with a $300,000 salary cap. So this would lead to an increase in salaries but would be mitigated somewhat by savings on travel etc.

I would love to see long term, 3 conferences (2x US, 1x Canada), 5 teams ea.

From there, you play everyone in your conference once and 2 teams from each other conference for a total of 8 games and one BYE.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I would love to see long term, 3 conferences (2x US, 1x Canada), 5 teams ea.

From there, you play everyone in your conference once and 2 teams from each other conference for a total of 8 games and one BYE.

Doubt we'll see that in PRO considering their relationship with Rugby Canada.

Having said that, they do have the basic structure in Canada to form a conference in the Canadian Rugby Championship. It currently has 4 teams in the BC Bears, Prairie Wolfpack, Ontario Blues and Atlantic Rock. They could look at a Quebec based squad and they'd be set.

If I were footing the bill I'd go with NorCal, SoCal, Utah, Colorado and Texas in the West. New York, New England, Washington, Ohio and Atlanta in the East.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Doubt we'll see that in PRO considering their relationship with Rugby Canada.

Have you seen the reports that they are interested in EPRU? (the bankrupt RU that would normally sit behind the hapless Kings.) SARU are considering changing rules to allow something like 75% ownership in private hands?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Have you seen the reports that they are interested in EPRU? (the bankrupt RU that would normally sit behind the hapless Kings.) SARU are considering changing rules to allow something like 75% ownership in private hands?

Pretty sure that deal has at best stalled at worst is dead in the water.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Austin Huns had their first home game of the season. Prevailing over Cal Cup champs OMBAC (featuring the likes of Ben Batger, Jogn Grant and Ged Gillespie) 24-21. The game was broadcast via Time Warner sports to over 2 million Texan homes and was very professionally done. Simulcast on YouTube as well.

Your's truly actually got a shoutout during the broadcast.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Austin Huns had their first home game of the season. Prevailing over Cal Cup champs OMBAC (featuring the likes of Ben Batger, Jogn Grant and Ged Gillespie) 24-21. The game was broadcast via Time Warner sports to over 2 million Texan homes and was very professionally done. Simulcast on YouTube as well.

Your's truly actually got a shoutout during the broadcast.

Loving the overseas news WorkingClassRugger, brilliant. The international growth is what keeps my delusion high for a prosperous future for the game here in Australia.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Loving the overseas news WorkingClassRugger, brilliant. The international growth is what keeps my delusion high for a prosperous future for the game here in Australia.

Absolutely, the fact rugby's profile peaks at WCs, combined with the growing popularity in Australia of Premier League, NBA, and NFL, points to the fact that Australians finds that there's an appeal to international sport.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I definitely think there's an appeal to it. It's just finding the right balance. As for looking internationally. As much as we discuss issues regarding Aus Rugby and their overall importance. And they are important. We often seem to forget that we tend to live in a bit of a bubble when it comes to Rugby. The game is striding ahead internationally.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
USA Rugby and USA Football (Gridiron if not obvious) have just gone into partnership regarding both coaching and player development. Which is interesting. For some time I have been seeing many Rugby coaches lament the lack of cooperation between their programs and Football coaches. Their seasons tend not to clash and it has been proven on several occasions when Football players play Rugby in the off season they have seen greater returns during Football season.

This move may help break down those barriers and see a solid influx of need talent previously willing but unable to participate.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I definitely think there's an appeal to it. It's just finding the right balance. As for looking internationally. As much as we discuss issues regarding Aus Rugby and their overall importance. And they are important. We often seem to forget that we tend to live in a bit of a bubble when it comes to Rugby. The game is striding ahead internationally.

I like to believe that the continued growth of the sport overseas will eventually reach a level that will have a positive impact on the game over here. The same as the enormous exposure of football overseas (soccer) has had on the game here. Obviously not to the same level as nothing will ever reach even a proportion of footballs size and ability to impact, but a positive impact that makes our highest potential 'rugby' (league and union) players simply want to play rugby as the financial and brand exposure levels would be too great to ignore. All this in a fairy tale tho.

Globalisation is Australian rugby's friend and one of the only threats to League and even worse the AFL in this country. Back to reality now....... or at least back to what my boss is paying me to do.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I like to believe that the continued growth of the sport overseas will eventually reach a level that will have a positive impact on the game over here. The same as the enormous exposure of football overseas (soccer) has had on the game here. Obviously not to the same level as nothing will ever reach even a proportion of footballs size and ability to impact, but a positive impact that makes our highest potential 'rugby' (league and union) players simply want to play rugby as the financial and brand exposure levels would be too great to ignore. All this in a fairy tale tho.

Globalisation is Australian rugby's friend and one of the only threats to League and even worse the AFL in this country. Back to reality now... or at least back to what my boss is paying me to do.

I think post 2019 could be very interesting times for Rugby. It is projected that by 2026 there will be 20m participants worldwide which should be close to approaching the tipping point for the game internationally. Assuming they don't have to re-assess those projections as they have once already due to significant jumps in growth.

For mine, the key will be the ability of the game to develop more professional leagues over the next 10-20 years. I actually think it needs to be one of WR (World Rugby) key strategic goals. The key is creating more demand.

I know that a number of the top Spanish clubs are looking to form an Iberian League with a number of the Portugese clubs with the intent of it being professional and that post 2015 a TV network floated an offer to help establish a Pro12 like competition featuring teams from Georgia, Russia, Romania and a couple of other nations. Don't know if that's is still in play.

While PRO is likely dead in the water even if they manage a 2nd season there are a number of clubs looking to transition fairly quickly to professional entities. Those three including Canada regarding the US would be high on my priority list.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

Think the real threat will be that a couple of the leagues continue to grow and dominate all others, so England, France and (say) Japan become the place where elite rugby players compete with each other at huge salaries, and we become nothing more than a feeder to the dominant comps.

As the clubs get richer and richer than international side of things continues to decline until it's really only World Cups where we see our best players as a team.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Guys,

If you're up and interested in catching a game from the US then Glendale vs BYU should be worth a look in. Probably the best Club program in the US vs probably the best College program in the US. BYU has a number of mature age students (Mormon mission) so they will be very evenly matched. You can catch via their stream which is very professionally done http://infinityparkatglendale.com/live-stream/

Kick off is at 9 am AEST.