• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Interesting article about the Houston SaberCats and their back office attempts to provide a good environment for building interest in the game:
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2018/jan/22/houston-sabercats-us-pro-major-league-rugby-uruguay

Houston are big on the game day experience side of the equation. It's something my guy in the know within the organisation has been mentioning it being something they have planned for some time. Hopefully the other clubs are taking notice and looking to do similar.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So, according to the man at the head of the NY franchise set to enter in 2019 each and every club has or in one case will soon have regional TV deals to accompany the national deal with CBS. There will also be OTT available.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
NY franchise set to enter in 2019

Yup, confirmed today.

Nf9B5eV.png

Incidentally, the US has now left Canada behind at all levels of the game (no surprises there, and Canuck teams want some of that action). The Yanks are even steadily reeling in the Argies. Rugby in Argentina is run by bluffers, and we know what that entails.

Sure, MLR is still small beer at this stage, probably at just above the NRC level of investment and will start somewhat below NRC standard of play - but it will improve a lot IMO.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yup, confirmed today.

Nf9B5eV.png

Incidently, the US has now left Canada behind at all levels of the game (no surprises there, and Canuck teams want some of that action). The Yanks are even steadily reeling in the Argies. Rugby in Argentina is run by bluffers, and we know what that entails.

Sure, MLR is still small beer at this stage, probably at just above the NRC level of investment and will start somewhat below NRC standard of play - but it will improve a lot IMO.

Not a fan of the logo.

If MLR is reasonably successful and the US Eagles improve that little bit more you'd think SANZAAR would be pretty quick to invite them into the Rugby Championship. I wonder if it would be feasible to have a 2 tier Rugby Championship with a promotion/relegation playoff. Then you could also include the likes of Japan, Canada, Uruguay, Fiji and Samoa. The size of the tiers could change over time based on levels of competitiveness - at the moment it wouldn't make sense to have a top tier of more than 4 teams, but it might in future, and the 2nd tier could also add teams as new nations step up to that level.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not a fan of the logo.

If MLR is reasonably successful and the US Eagles improve that little bit more you'd think SANZAAR would be pretty quick to invite them into the Rugby Championship. I wonder if it would be feasible to have a 2 tier Rugby Championship with a promotion/relegation playoff. Then you could also include the likes of Japan, Canada, Uruguay, Fiji and Samoa. The size of the tiers could change over time based on levels of competitiveness - at the moment it wouldn't make sense to have a top tier of more than 4 teams, but it might in future, and the 2nd tier could also add teams as new nations step up to that level.

It's their placeholder thankfully. Don't worry there's been plenty of discussion about it. They'll be re-branding in the second half of this year.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yup, confirmed today.

Nf9B5eV.png

Incidentally, the US has now left Canada behind at all levels of the game (no surprises there, and Canuck teams want some of that action). The Yanks are even steadily reeling in the Argies. Rugby in Argentina is run by bluffers, and we know what that entails.

The investment is around $2m a season as a bid payment to the league at present plus your extra operational costs. Cannot see the owners seeing much change out of $4m a season at present.

As for catching Argentina. They've progressively begun to get the upper hand over the Arg XV since the ARC came into play. First a valiant draw, last year an unlucky draw and this year a solid enough win.

At their current rate of progress and the arrival of MLR they should continue on their present trajectory.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Not a fan of the logo.

As for the RC. I'd like to see it merged with the PNC (Pacific Nations Cup) to a two tiered championship.

Nitin the US. If the Eagles ever become competitive SANZAAR will probably be falling over themselves to get them on board.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
If the Eagles ever become competitive SANZAAR will probably be falling over themselves to get them on board.

I think if SANZAAR wait too long Europe will integrate them into some expanded 6 Nations. That'd be more lucrative so if the US ever had two offers on the table they'd probably choose Europe. SANZAAR need to get in early.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
The investment is around $2m a season as a bid payment to the league at present plus your extra operational costs. Cannot see the owners seeing much change out of $4m a season at present.

The reports I've seen are a little more modest in year one, half a mil in bond payment per team to the league and around the same in player salaries.

They do have a "salary cap" but it's in the Australian style, i.e. it doesn't really limit anything and teams can pay as much as they want. LOL

Still, that's okay for a startup competition. My surmising was team budgets more than for NRC but less than Mitre-10.

But I don't know that for a FACT.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The reports I've seen are a little more modest in year one, half a mil in bond payment per team to the league and around the same in player salaries.

They do have a "salary cap" but it's in the Australian style, i.e. it doesn't really limit anything and teams can pay as much as they want. LOL

Still, that's okay for a startup competition. My surmising was team budgets more than for NRC but less than Mitre-10.

But I don't know that for a FACT.

My information comes from several blokes with direct and publicly known connections to MLR. The initial bond payment was $500k but as it came apparent they were going to get their TV deal it jumped up to $2m. I suspect it's the reason Dallas fell out of contention and the likes of Kansas City have elected to push their entry back a season or so. There is a salary cap. But it's an 'in-season' cap. Which for the first season will sit at around $250k in the first season. There are actually three differing 'caps'. One for the early pre-season in which clubs can use if they choose to start their training operations prior to the beginning of the official pre-season window. Then there's a 'pre-season cap' which comes into effect upon the start of the the official cap. No idea of the sizes of these caps but I suspect they'd be similar to the in season cap. What this doesn't account for is jobs provided to players as well. Which are mandated to be within the definition of full-time ,I've seen conflicting suggestions of what that constitutes some say full-time is a full 38 hour week while others suggests that's anything over 20 hours. Without clarification I'd suspect most of those jobs are closer to the latter than for most of the clubs. Beyond that, there's a bunch of other expenses to be held by the club. Like staffing, facilities etc. You're looking at a closer to $4m a season commitment. Which all owners needed to be able to demonstrate that they could carry for 5 seasons. Originally it was 3 but again with the TV contract they increased the requirements. On top of that they needed to be able to demonstrate the ability to either construct their own minimum 5,000 seat stadiums or enter partnerships to do so within similar timelines. The the guys behind this are for all intensive purposes capable of meeting all of these requirements and according to those closer to them than I could ever imagine to be in it for the long haul. We're talking 10 years + if necessary.

MonkeyBoy

Bill Watson (15)
Hopefully the refereeing style is changing to match. Previously it is refereed similarly to NFL penalising avery little infraction resulting in a very stop start game. Referees receiving a 15-20 page report on things they missed. They need to improve this to get people interested in the game.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
An 8 team continental professional league planned for South America to launch as soon as 2019. http://www.americasrugbynews.com/2018/02/26/south-american-professional-rugby-coming-2019/

This is such a better option for Argentina going forward.

Could see this been a short season to start with and pay at a higher end to a semi-pro level, with it building from there.

Exciting times ahead for the game, we just need to get our own house in order to benefit.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
This is such a better option for Argentina going forward.

Could see this been a short season to start with and pay at a higher end to a semi-pro level, with it building from there.

Exciting times ahead for the game, we just need to get our own house in order to benefit.

Some guys on another forum linked with a couple of these Unions are saying that this is intended to be a full schedule league of professional status. Not semi-pro but full time. Which means as many as 14 rounds plus finals. Which would be amazing. In regards to the professional status. I think they are aiming at payment levels that are equivalent on the continent. Which from what I can find tend to sit around $30,000 USD per player per season.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Some guys on another forum linked with a couple of these Unions are saying that this is intended to be a full schedule league of professional status. Not semi-pro but full time. Which means as many as 14 rounds plus finals. Which would be amazing. In regards to the professional status. I think they are aiming at payment levels that are equivalent on the continent. Which from what I can find tend to sit around $30,000 USD per player per season.

So, this has been confirmed as a thing. To be funded by the Unions, WR (World Rugby) and private sponsorship. More details to come. In regards to number of teams. It looks like it will be Brazil 2, Uruguay 2, Argentina at least 2 possibly 3 and Chile 1. There is some suggestion of Colombian involvement but that has been regarded as unlikely in the early stages.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Okay. More on MLR.

There will be at least ten teams next season and if everything goes well most likely 12. NY are already known but apparently they will be joined by two more US based squads. Suggestion of them being both Dallas and Chicago who are/were founding interests in the league. Though, it has been mentioned that there is a Boston group gunning for a franchise and they will be playing exhibition games against both NY and Ontario in the coming weeks.

Honestly, I'm hoping the two teams are Boston and Chicago. They would be a better fit for the league than a third Texan franchise. But that's just my opinion. Both Vancouver and Toronto are looking likely for 2019 as well.

The league plans to go to 16 teams and then stop for a while. According to the article I've read finding the numbers hasn't been an issue. There's more than enough interest. Will be interesting to see move forward.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
So, this has been confirmed as a thing. To be funded by the Unions, WR (World Rugby) and private sponsorship. More details to come. In regards to number of teams. It looks like it will be Brazil 2, Uruguay 2, Argentina at least 2 possibly 3 and Chile 1. There is some suggestion of Colombian involvement but that has been regarded as unlikely in the early stages.

Brilliant news, once this is up and running, then WR (World Rugby) needs to turn its attention to either Asia, the Eastern block countries or the Pacific.

I have a sneaky suspicion we could see Samoa eventually included into the NRC. Biggest stumbling block with WR (World Rugby) wanting to push this would be they still haven't qualified for the WC, so there is a chance resources could be better used somewhere else in lead up to the WC. If they qualify think we could see them included.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Brilliant news, once this is up and running, then WR (World Rugby) needs to turn its attention to either Asia, the Eastern block countries or the Pacific.

I have a sneaky suspicion we could see Samoa eventually included into the NRC. Biggest stumbling block with WR (World Rugby) wanting to push this would be they still haven't qualified for the WC, so there is a chance resources could be better used somewhere else in lead up to the WC. If they qualify think we could see them included.

I tend to think that the primary reason WR (World Rugby) has been as open to Forrest's IPRC concept is because it's planned structure essentially does this for the region in many respects. Meaning instead of spending the money to do something similar they can afford to back this Sth American effort.

I agree with you on Europe. Not necessarily Eastern bloc nations but Europe in general. For me there are two structures that need work. One established and the other not. The first is Spain with the Div. De Honor. There is this slow crawl toward semi/pro in the top flight of Spanish Rugby.

Some are better at than others but what really is needed in Spain is 1) access to better facilities 2) Better development of coaching and refereeing and 3) much more emphasis of the marketing and promotion of the league. These are three things I think WR (World Rugby) alongside RE should be looking to push hard in Spain. There is potential there.

The second one is some kind of European franchise league. Featuring at least one perhaps two teams each from the next level of European Rugby (that being Belgium and Germany from REC and the likes of the Netherlands and potentially Poiland from the REC 1A) initially. I actually think the Sth Am. venture is a good test case for something similar in Europe and there has been rumours of something like this for the past 18 months being in development.

As for Samoa. I think it's inevitable that we'll see another PI team enter the NRC. But I don't know what form it will take. Samoa seems like the logical choice but I know WR (World Rugby) aren't too happy with the goings on domestically in Samoa at present. We'll see.