• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Sounds like Romania are screwed, Spain is more likely to be okay, but not out of the woods. I think it'd be good for the sport if they are fine. Spain is a pretty promising tier 2 nation and playing at the world cup would be a huge boost for the sport there. And then at least you'd have a competitive Russia in the playoff and probably the repechage. The current German team would get destroyed and in no way deserve to be there.

Apparently the FER cleared the players with WR (World Rugby) before they capped them a few years back. So, they might be okay. No idea about the Tongan bloke who played for Romania.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^ I read somewhere that the Tongan/ Romanian guy played a World Series 7's tournament in which case he's probably screwed as I don't think there was ever the same grey area around 7's as there was around U20's: playing for your National 7's always disqualified you for other countries, playing U20's (as the French/ Spanish guys did) only disqualified you if both countries had U20's as their second team AND all the players concerned were informed accordingly. That was the outcome of the Shingler qualification row between (from memory) Scotland & Wales a few years back, anyway.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Was there a time WOB where 7s representation for one country didn't interfere with eligibility for another? I am aware that Jordan Smiler represented Australia at 7s after he had previously represented NZ. Maybe the Tongan player is of similar vintage?

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Was there a time WOB where 7s representation for one country didn't interfere with eligibility for another? I am aware that Jordan Smiler represented Australia at 7s after he had previously represented NZ. Maybe the Tongan player is of similar vintage?

Smiler was in the NZ 7s squad but never played a tournament so didn't become tied to NZ.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
^^^^^^ I read somewhere that the Tongan/ Romanian guy played a World Series 7's tournament in which case he's probably screwed as I don't think there was ever the same grey area around 7's as there was around U20's: playing for your National 7's always disqualified you for other countries, playing U20's (as the French/ Spanish guys did) only disqualified you if both countries had U20's as their second team AND all the players concerned were informed accordingly. That was the outcome of the Shingler qualification row between (from memory) Scotland & Wales a few years back, anyway.

You knew that he's definitely the same bloke (there was an argument that it may have been a case of mistaken identity) when Romanians started arguing that the Tongan team was an invitational team and not representative of Tonga. Which we all know isn't the case.

The Spanish players are interesting. My understanding that one is fine. But the other one is a little less clear. Though as I said above. The FER apparently are confident of his eligibility and apparently cleared him with WR (World Rugby) before he won is first cap. So, we'll see.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
What I'd like to know is what would happen if it turned out a player had previously been cleared by WR (World Rugby) in the past, but incorrectly.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
WR (World Rugby)'s earlier decision would have to stand, if not I'd imagine the Spaniards could/would reach for the lawyers. IF the earlier decision was found to've been in error WR (World Rugby) should clearly point out why and announce what would stand in future.

God spare us if this gets tangled up in the courts in some place or other.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)

Yes but unless the bloke's ~40 it's unlikely to be relevant in this case :).

What I'd like to know is what would happen if it turned out a player had previously been cleared by WR (World Rugby) in the past, but incorrectly.

The WR (World Rugby) clearance, even if subsequently found to be in error, would surely have to stand unless you could somehow prove that the union that was granted the clearance knew that the decision was wrong. At which point I think the whole clearance process falls apart.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Well hopefully Gosper is right and it's just delayed.

It's pretty positive that China just qualified as a core team for next year's women's world sevens series. And they did it pretty comfortably, beating South Africa 31-14 in the final. Women's sevens is probably the lowest hanging fruit in rugby so it makes sense to prioritise it initially.

If the Chinese women can make it to the Olympics that'll be a boost for the sport. And obviously it'd be huge if they were actually in medal contention. Hundreds of millions of people watch the Olympics in China.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I'm not too sure of the extent of the Rugby seen in Louisiana to be honest. But I wouldn't have had it on my list of likely locations for professional team. I really don't know how it is going to work out. They only have one stand that seats 1200 "normal people" but overall they still have a lot of work just to get it to somewhat presentable because even if they started marketing hard today their offering just isn't up to scratch. They just seem a bit like the amateur club NOLA playing professional but not actually doing it with any level of convincing execution.

Regarding a NorCal team. Well, teams and their bases are more to so with those who have the interest and the money to do so for years one and 12. There was a french group looking at launching in the Bay area but the sheer costs of operating there scared them off. So at present a NorCal team is some time off. But a near certainty in the future. Sacramento would actually a good call for a team from NorCal when that occurs.

As opposed to fat septics?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well hopefully Gosper is right and it's just delayed.

It's pretty positive that China just qualified as a core team for next year's women's world sevens series. And they did it pretty comfortably, beating South Africa 31-14 in the final. Women's sevens is probably the lowest hanging fruit in rugby so it makes sense to prioritise it initially.

If the Chinese women can make it to the Olympics that'll be a boost for the sport. And obviously it'd be huge if they were actually in medal contention. Hundreds of millions of people watch the Olympics in China.
Yes agreed about Chinese woman 7’s qualifying for next years series - watched their Matches and quite impressive. China apparently has around 30 clubs at present but alliaports investment was to see it played across the 10,000 Chinese universities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Update on Sione Vaiomounga, the Tongan player suffering from kidney failure while playing in Romania. There's no dialysis available in Tonga, he wasn't eligible to come to NZ for it & couldn't afford to pay for it in Romania or elsewhere in Europe. Thankfully Pacific Rugby Welfare have raised a crowd-funded £30K & he's now had an emergency transplant.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/rugby/news/article.cfm?c_id=80&objectid=11986670

IMG_0804.JPG

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
There's been some fallout from the ref-shoving after that Spain v Romania RWC qualifier:

"Lengthy [up to 43 weeks] bans have been issued to five Spain players involved in the ugly scenes that marred the aftermath of last month's 18-10 defeat by Belgium in Brussels."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12034631

Yet to see the outcome of the review of the match, eligibility issues, etc.

The match review and eligibility issues are in WR (World Rugby) hands now. These bans have been handed down by RE.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Seattle vs San Diego game has officially been announced as sold out with overflow now being directed to the second game which isn't far off the same status. Utah are expecting the same come gameday. They tend to have a large number of walk ups but going from pre-sales they should go close.

Glendale should turn out a good crowd as should Houston. Hopefully sell outs as well.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I should also note that the Utah game isn't actually an MLR event. The Warriors have the bye in the first week. This game will be against the well they are calling them the Alberta WolfPack (Praries Wolfpack) from Canada. A mix of players from Alberta, Saskatchewan and to a lesser extent Manitoba traditionally.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
There's been some fallout from the ref-shoving after that Spain v Romania RWC qualifier:

"Lengthy [up to 43 weeks] bans have been issued to five Spain players involved in the ugly scenes that marred the aftermath of last month's 18-10 defeat by Belgium in Brussels."

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12034631

Yet to see the outcome of the review of the match, eligibility issues, etc.

They should count themselves lucky with those bans. Could have (and some may argue should have) been life bans.