• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

KevinO

John Hipwell (52)
Douglas still requires another 2 yrs,

I thought douglas already qualified from 2014-17 when he was based here? He did 3 years before leaving for a stint elsewhere, did not think you had to do the time frame again if you did not get capped first time round.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I’m of the belief that anyone coming into the system before that date would have the 3yr eligibility applied to them. I could be wrong. You’re right about Kata, however he moved to Melbourne Storm during that season (just didn’t play a game), so would be mid ‘22

That wasn't how it operated previously. You had to have commenced the qualification period prior to 31 December 2017 so you could be qualified before it changed at 31 December 2020. Anyone not qualifying by then would then no qualify until at least 1 January 2023 as they would be subject to 5 years.

Pushing it back a year should mean that anyone who commenced residency on or before 31 December 2018 can now qualify by 31 December 2021.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I thought douglas already qualified from 2014-17 when he was based here? He did 3 years before leaving for a stint elsewhere, did not think you had to do the time frame again if you did not get capped first time round.

It resets and you lose it though because otherwise you could become qualified for more and more teams.

Those three years would just count towards the 10 year cumulative residency now.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Interesting. I know the Division De Honor is definitely semi-pro to low level professional with most clubs operating player budgets of roughly $500k (Euros) with the largest being a little under the $1m mark. The Russian Premier League is professional. As is the SupaLiga (Romania). The Didi 10 is definitely semi-professional. I suspect the rest are fairly mixed between amateur and semi-professional. The Bundesliga most certainly is.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yeh I have a few guys I know that are fully pro in HK as well, it’s a combo of players in the High performance national squad (fully pro) and players that are on match day payments.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Yeh I have a few guys I know that are fully pro in HK as well, it’s a combo of players in the High performance national squad (fully pro) and players that are on match day payments.

I'll have to ask but I think it's a match payment set up in the Netherlands. I know that both the Dutch and Belgian Unions have set up the BeNe Cup with the goal of developing that into a professional competition.

The Dutch could actually be the sneaky sleepers in Europe. Several years back they had to dig themselves out of a serious financial hole but since then have established regional academies and development programs and are beginning to see more young players make their way into in particular French programs and even as far as NZ.

I actually had no idea about the Hungarian League either.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'll have to ask but I think it's a match payment set up in the Netherlands. I know that both the Dutch and Belgian Unions have set up the BeNe Cup with the goal of developing that into a professional competition.

The Dutch could actually be the sneaky sleepers in Europe. Several years back they had to dig themselves out of a serious financial hole but since then have established regional academies and development programs and are beginning to see more young players make their way into in particular French programs and even as far as NZ.

I actually had no idea about the Hungarian League either.
There is a good world rugby article on them out a few days ago

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
I had reservations about their ability to meet the financial requirements of entry. This confirms them. It's why I was also very skeptical of this group being an option for NZs SRA going forward.

They appear not to have been able to even meet the requirements for an extension.
Would love to know where the money is coming from because a bunch of ex-ABs isn’t it (unless they are dealing drugs on the side). They are most likely figureheads with someone else putting money in. As it stands they are all show and no substance.

Happy to be corrected as it sounds like a cool idea.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Would love to know where the money is coming from because a bunch of ex-ABs isn’t it (unless they are dealing drugs on the side). They are most likely figureheads with someone else putting money in. As it stands they are all show and no substance.

Happy to be corrected as it sounds like a cool idea.

I actually think it could just be them. Working under the assumption that their names alone would be enough to open the door. Which would explain how they've fallen through on much of their talk and to be honest bullshit. The supposed deals that never were etc.

I've mentioned before that the rough figure needed in order to gain entry was said to be a minimum of $10m USD in order to cover licence fees, basic operational costs and so on over a 3 year period. And that's the bare bones minimum. And that's not taking into account the added logistics and expenses of operating out of Hawai'i itself. They clearly don't have it. And I doubt they ever will.

The funny thing about the Kanaloa statement is that literally just this week they were spruiking an exciting announcement regarding their MLR future. Which suggests they still thought that who they were and not their ability to meet even the minimum criteria for an extension (I'm not too sure what those are but they do apparently exist) would get them through.

Edit: And they've now apparently edited their statement and walked back some of the initial indignation. This group is cooked.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
And someone has just mentioned that the $10m USD is now closer to $25m USD with the $10m being just the new licencing fee. No way these guys had close to $38m NZD to meet the league requirements if that's the case.

Reactions: dru

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
And ever so interesting to read the President of Georgia Rugby Union is in custody after a former Georgian 7s player was shot in the leg at headquarters!

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
MLR have confirmed the dates for their 2021 season. Kicking off in March. Through to August. Two conferences. 18 rounds. There's also rumours of a Chicago team being greenlit for 2022 in the near future.