• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby News from unexpected places

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Seriously doubt we'll anything from PRO Rugby this year or ever again. The organisation has effectively destroyed all the collective goodwill that once existed among the Rugby community in the States. Which is kind of vital at the moment. From everything I've read and heard the organisation doesn't like payong its bills. Ranging fro, player and coaches salaries, facilities and vendors right up to the league's doctor.

There was a lot of noise late last year after USARugby CEO Dan Payne met with PRO Rugby's owner where they utilised a 30 day contract realease claise for all players as what seemed like a game of chicken.

Since then, they have stated that pre-season will start in April but that seems dubious at best. The players simply won't play for them. There currently is a motion filed in what appears to be Colorado which has yet to be resolved. No one is sure who filed it as it has a value of $150m attached to it. But a theory is that it's on behalf of USARugby in order to get PRO to leave willingly as opposed to chucking a tantrum when USARugby will likely infor, them that their sanctioing will not be renewed come October this year.

The Pro 12 have been eyeing up Nth America for a while now apparently. Officials have made several trips in the last few years. Supposedly, they are eyeing up a team in Toronto which they believe would play out of BMO Field as according to reports from the British media is getting a roof as part of its upgrade. However, according to every Canadian source I've seen, that's simply not true. So unless they are planning on moving their season to align more with ours Toronto seems a little foolish.

They have mentioned using Vancouver as a secondary base but that isn't particularly promising when trying to capture a new market. Splitting games. Personally, unless they do intend to shift their season they should be looking at Vancouver as the location of a Canadian franchise.

As for the US franchise. New York has been mentioned by Pro 12 but Washington is another option. The Chairman of the USA Rugby Board Will Chang owns a sizeable stake in DC United in the MLS (also SF Giants in MLB) and they have just opened their brand new 20,000 stadium Audi Arena. But like Toronto there are weather concerns and Houston has popped up as a viable alternative. And it is.

In all, I don't know how likely these franchises are. USA Rugby have just released their long awaited strategic plan and it does identify the need to develop 6 keys markets. Markets that would most appeal to foreign leagues if I might add. Plus 3 or 4 secondary markets as well. So. I'd say its currently less likely than likely but that could change tomorrow.

For now the only solid group is Rugby United Marketing who are behind Major League Rugby. This will be a 9 team league built around the existing Rugby communities in their respective locales. They have set criteria including the need to present a professional package in regards to game day experience and each group involved has to meet strict financial minimums. At least 4 of the clubs have stadiums in the works ranging from 4,000 to 11,000 seats. Those with 4,000 have future expansion plans for up to 11,000.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Brazil has beaten Canada in Sao Paulo 24-23. This ends a very poor Americas Rugby Championship for Canada having lost 4 of their 5 games. It also see's them slip out of the top 20 to 23rd in the World rankings while Brazil jump to 31st. This is the second Nth American scalp Brazil has managed after the USA last season. While Canada can take a little solace that this wasn't their best side neither was the USA and Argentina. Both handily defeated the Canucks at home this season.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Germany have beaten Belgium 34-27 in Offenbach. Crowd in attendance was a little over 4100 but the game was widely watched on TV in Germany. Waiting for exact numbers. They have a game against Spain in a fortnight in Cologne which is set to be a sell out with about 10,000 likely to attend.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Was at the Germany/Beglium game yesterday. Germany jumped out to a dominating start, looked like the flood gates would open around the 50 min mark but the Belgians clawed their way back. Cant afford to do that against Spain next weekend . This will be a cracker .

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Was at the Germany/Beglium game yesterday. Germany jumped out to a dominating start, looked like the flood gates would open around the 50 min mark but the Belgians clawed their way back. Cant afford to do that against Spain next weekend . This will be a cracker .

Will you be heading to Cologne next week?

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Will you be heading to Cologne next week?

unfortunately not, i was originally going as many of our U16s are in the National team playing the curtin raiser, and our U16 club team is playing the reserves of the German U16 nat team on the Sunday , so its a 2 night trip, but our U12s have a tournament on the sunday so i have to run that team. Will watch on tv though

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
This doesn't really belong here, but I can't start threads yet for some reason, so I'll put it here.

Stade Français and Racing metro have announced their intention to merge, and will do so as early as next season. The aim is to preserve the amateur clubs as-is, but to have only one professional team in Paris, and eventually only one Espoirs team, too.

This means that potentially an extra place will be open in the Top 14 for a Pro D2 club (or Heidelberg-joking), and this will presumably repeat down the line of the French leagues.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
This doesn't really belong here, but I can't start threads yet for some reason, so I'll put it here.

Stade Français and Racing metro have announced their intention to merge, and will do so as early as next season. The aim is to preserve the amateur clubs as-is, but to have only one professional team in Paris, and eventually only one Espoirs team, too.

This means that potentially an extra place will be open in the Top 14 for a Pro D2 club (or Heidelberg-joking), and this will presumably repeat down the line of the French leagues.

By "preserving the amateur clubs as-is" does that mean they'll play in National 1?

Certainly a big deal, I doubt this will null-and-void contracts, so there'll be buyouts.

Sauron

Larry Dwyer (12)
By "preserving the amateur clubs as-is" does that mean they'll play in National 1?

Certainly a big deal, I doubt this will null-and-void contracts, so there'll be buyouts.

I'm not sure where their amateurs will play, tbh. I would assume that Federale 1 is too high a level- but it's a big comp and I could be wrong.

Edit- hopefully we'll see some Aussies heading home? Though it's probably more likely they'll go to a different cashed-up Euro club.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Edit- hopefully we'll see some Aussies heading home? Though it's probably more likely they'll go to a different cashed-up Euro club.

It is likely MOST will go elsewhere in Europe.

But there's a couple of things that could happen -
  1. If they have, say, 2 years to go on their contract and get 'bought out' for a large percentage of that. Suddenly, home looks good. They've already got the cash and the WC is soon.
  2. Cheiks could say the right things. This has worked on certain blokes before.
  3. It's latish in the recruiting season, a lot of teams have already wheeled and dealed their bigger contracts. Maybe the big $$$ are gone, so why not come home? Maybe via Japan.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Second Tier Results of interest

(Rankings @13/3)
(16) Romania 8 - 7 Georgia (12) (Woody's influence??)
(20) Russia 52 - 25 Germany (24)

The second tier gap is definitely closing. (Germany beat Romania 11 Feb)

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So, progress toward the launch of Majpr League Rugby in the US is continuing. According to a recent article in the Houston Chronicle they have 10 sides on board with another two set to sign. Most if not all sides involved have stadium, plans/partnerships underway with the goal of providing seating fpr 5,000 spectators set as the minimum standard for season one.

According to the article each team will play 11 home games. So we're looking at a 22 round season.

Heavy rumour that AIG are the likely major sponsor being touted. Also, that each group has to provide a buy in to the league's LLC of $250,000.

Finally, on the broadcast side of things. The Austin Huns have recently signed on with FloSports creating the FloRugby channel. They are an Austin based digital broadcaster via online streaming etc. While all Huns games are free this season it does operate behind a paywall at $12.50/month.

Some angst about this but seeing as Austin alongside Glendale are the primary drivers behind the MLR I'm working from the assumption and general language from all parties that this is just a precursor to an announcement in the works. From what I can deduce (and everyone involved or in the know are very tight lipped on the details) I suspect it will involve some kind of partnership with FloSports to either be the broadcast partner or help develop a dedicated MLR platform that will likely feature not only both live and archived games but possibly a heap of extra content.

Making the $12.50 a month fairly good value.

The key will be in the marketing of the league. As according to a SMG-Insight survey there are 4.2m Rugby fans in the US apparently.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Have they said what time of year their season will run? Hopefully it's in a similar block to Super Rugby.

$12.50 a month would be pretty prohibitive for casual or potential new fans though. It's more than a netflix subscription. It'd be fine if they can also get some occasional TV coverage on top of it, or maybe offer cheaper subscription options for a limited number of games.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Have they said what time of year their season will run? Hopefully it's in a similar block to Super Rugby.

$12.50 a month would be pretty prohibitive for casual or potential new fans though. It's more than a netflix subscription. It'd be fine if they can also get some occasional TV coverage on top of it, or maybe offer cheaper subscription options for a limited number of games.

From what I know so far it will be more aligned with Super Rugby than the European leagues. Mainly because they have no desire to play during the same window as the NFL. Not that they think they can compete its more for practical reasons including weather.

$12.50 a month does appear prohibitive but those I know who have strong ties with the organisation (s) behind it are all saying it will be more than worth it. Additionally, I suspect we'll see the league look to assist the clubs in looking to establish local TV deals as Austin already have. Their home games are broadcast both live and on replay via Time Warner Cable's Spectrum sports to over 2m households.

They have talked about having a TV presence on several occasions. So it wouldn't shock me to see games being viewable locally on TV with the FloSports partnered platform containing away games and other matches otherwise not available in the individual markets. Honestly it it wouldn't surprise me if they partner with Spectrum Sports across all of the regions to do this.