• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Quotes of the Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
At a ruck in a game between SA and England

Steve Walsh: Leave it England Leave it! I want to see if Spies actually does anything with the ball

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The Honey Badger again after the Force vs B&I Lions

"Good to see Locky get some meat. He was as nervous as a bag of cats at a greyhound meet."
Slight error Mr Jarse.
If I recall, the quote was, "Sweating like a bag of cats at a greyhound meet"

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I also thought it might have been "sweating" but the gypsy was sweating over the mortgage, so I gave him the benefit of doubt erring on the side of change.

While you get the feeling that these are pre-planned, who cares. They add some variety to an otherwise rather bland persona presented by most players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the Honey Badger has a book called 101 Sweating Analogies for Post Match Interviews.

He just needs to make sure he doesn't use the phrase that former rugby player turned commentator Craig Innes used (was it him?) - citing that someone was so nervous they'd be sweating like a rapist.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
There was another one recently from the Honey Badger about being "as noisy (IIRC or it could have been "as happy") as a tree full of Galahs".

Upon questioning what that meant, the interviewer was asked if they had ever been out to the Pilbara and listened to a tree full of Galahs or similar comment. Gold.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There was another one recently from the Honey Badger about being "as noisy (IIRC or it could have been "as happy") as a tree full of Galahs".

Upon questioning what that meant, the interviewer was asked if they had ever been out to the Pilbara and listened to a tree full of Galahs or similar comment. Gold.

That was well played. I think the interviewer was Nick McCardle.

It would be even better if Nick Cummins had never been the Pilbara but was banking on the fact that Nick McCardle hadn't been there either.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Honey Badger again after the Force vs B&I Lions: (Actual quote)

"Good to see Locky McCaf get a gig.. [I saw or I thought] he was sweatin' like a bag of cats at a greyhound meet there before the game but he managed to get over for some meat... ."

The "Tree full of Galahs" quote was given to Sharpie according to Nick McArdle.

Sharpie's translation for the people at home
"He said Locky McCaffrey was nervous and he was very happy he scored a try"

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Honey Badger after the Shorks game

"We come out as mad as a tree full of galahs in the first 20 minutes, and that was our plan you know to go as hard at them physically and I think the boys did that"

Sharpie "Tell me how bad is a tree full of galahs?"

"Mate if you ever stood under one of them things out in the Pilbara, you'll know. Corellas also ... they'll just bark like mad"

Sharpie " Yeah It's quite intimidating..."

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Kearns: Do you remember the days when wingers were those lightweight little useless things that used to hang around on the wing and didn't want to get involved in the rough stuff, well we've got two different ones out there tonight"

Kafer: "Sometimes they used to put the hopeless ones there. You had a gig there, Kearns, didn't you"

Kearns "Most of my career"

Kafer: "You played like a winger when you were a hooker - I forget"

Clark " He had 2 on his back, he thought he was playing rugby league"

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
NZ commentator in the ITM Cup game in New Plymouth. It is a miserable weather conditions. The "official" crowd figure of 4300 has just been announced.

"I'll tell you what, they all deserve to have their names carved on their seats, out on a night like this"

Later:

"and the heavens open again. With winds of 140km/hr forecast to arrive soon, I hope they get this game over before Armegeddon arrives"

about Kurt Baker from Taranaki.

"If he was any more grouchy, he'd live in a trash can on Sesame Street"

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
was watching a super rugby game in nz earlier in the year and a little scuffle or somthing happened, after it had done one commentator said "well that escalated quickly didnt it" with the saying "yea i hope no-one out there has a trident"........obviously been watching a bit too much anchorman

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Watched BOP v I think terinaki or whatever

Guy gets shirt ripped off and the ball stays inside.
Commentator 1 " ah,,, the old ball up
The jumper trick. Probably started by Australia"

Commentator 2 " yeh I wouldn't put it passed them".

Prick

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Came across this quote From Nick Farr-Jones:

One of the keys to changing the Wallabies from an inconsistent team to World Cup champions [1991] was switching the focus from the scoreboard to having each player concentrate on his role in the team and what he needed to do best.

“We needed to change the culture of the Wallabies from a team that was scoreboard-focused to one that was process-driven. They were desperate to win, which led to inconsistencies and mistakes. As a scrum-half, my role was to do everything that went into my game as well as I could, to minimise errors and to trust the 14 guys around me to do their job, and at the end of 80 minutes, look up and see what the scoreboard says."

He said that in March 2010. I think we still have a way to go.

- See more at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...y-e6frgabx-1225841936428#sthash.8eP76pXu.dpuf

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
and...

'Let younger people take some risks and make some mistakes. “When we won the World Cup, I had a fantastic bunch of young people in the team, who had come in a year or two before - Phil Kearns, Tony Daly, Willie Ofahengaue, Tim Horan, Jason Little, Ewen McKenzie. It was the young guys who chanced their arms and were prepared to walk the tightrope. They were prepared to do things differently.'

You can see that Ewen continues that philosophy.

- See more at: http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...y-e6frgabx-1225841936428#sthash.8eP76pXu.dpuf

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Ben Tapuai channeling Burkey on Twitter after the SA loss Saturday:

"I'll take the crit from ppl who have been out there b4 and know the feeling how hard it is. We only human. #justsaying"

Fair to say that one got me a bit hot under the collar.

It's pretty obvious that Ben Tapuai hasn't had as much experience as most of us have staying up late watching Wallabies tests in South Africa.

I imagine he'd need at least another decade of watching Wallabies tests late at night before he's in a position to deflect criticism fairly.

Status
Not open for further replies.