• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby Sevens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
With the narrow loss to the Kiwis in the Commonwealth games and the subsequent inclusion of a number of the sevens players in the Wallabies squad it is appparent that this form of the game is taking on a life of its own. As Deans has been quoted as saying that it a a fast track to the big time I can see the day in the not too distant future when there is a national competition in sevens that could follow on once the club season finishes. It reminds me of when one day cricket was introduced and was an instant hit. Anyone else have a view about where sevens is headed?

T

the berries

All we need is a Kerry Packer to push the game. Sevens is fast and explosive entertainment. Marketed under lights it might be a goer. However the current support for Rugby in this country is pretty poor.You could of fired a machine gun into the stands during the Shute Shield GF and hit nobody. We need a fast entertaining game to convert the majority of football watching psychos.

Spewn

Alex Ross (28)
With the narrow loss to the Kiwis in the Commonwealth games and the subsequent inclusion of a number of the sevens players in the Wallabies squad it is appparent that this form of the game is taking on a life of its own. As Deans has been quoted as saying that it a a fast track to the big time I can see the day in the not too distant future when there is a national competition in sevens that could follow on once the club season finishes. It reminds me of when one day cricket was introduced and was an instant hit. Anyone else have a view about where sevens is headed?

Hopefully nowhere. It is a dreadful game although that has nothing to do with the players' ability.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
RF, I actually submitted a piece to The Roar last night very similar to this very theme. The ARU should really look toward establishing Sevens as a summer sport as it could provide the game with a real winner in terms of brand and talent development. While in the article I mention that I am willing to allow a Sevens circuit to organically grow but if there was someone who had the vision to build such a circuit then I would support that as well.

S

skullring

pre season sevens for those keen does have a ring to it.

R

Rothschild

if anyone is interested, the Byron Bay 7's are on this weekend and the Gold Coast 7's in a couple of weeks time.
The GC event has attracted a massive entry from overseas national teams and promises this yer to become a hallmark of the 7's callendar, may replacing Adelaide as the premier 7's event in australia. Well thats the plan anyway but NZ, Samoan, Tongan, Fijian, England national teams are entered - apparently.

As for thse who decry the value of 7's, it has been the launching pad for many a back and loose forward giving them tremendous attacking and defensive skills.
I have found though that generally, those who put the 7's format down are those player who would struggle in that format - tight forwards come to mind, but for any back it is a valuable learning experience.
Cheers chaps

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
if anyone is interested, the Byron Bay 7's are on this weekend and the Gold Coast 7's in a couple of weeks time.
The GC event has attracted a massive entry from overseas national teams and promises this yer to become a hallmark of the 7's callendar, may replacing Adelaide as the premier 7's event in australia. Well thats the plan anyway but NZ, Samoan, Tongan, Fijian, England national teams are entered - apparently.

As for thse who decry the value of 7's, it has been the launching pad for many a back and loose forward giving them tremendous attacking and defensive skills.
I have found though that generally, those who put the 7's format down are those player who would struggle in that format - tight forwards come to mind, but for any back it is a valuable learning experience.
Cheers chaps

The emergence of these carnivals proves my point. Love or hate the format it is here to stay and is only going to grow. Just like one day cricket I think there is room for both and it can only be good for the game overall with added interest from the public, press and players. I reckon the ARU needs to harness the interest and develop a national comp. ASAP.

A

Ageing Parent

Could I possibly take the comparison with cricket one step further....with the emergence of 20/20 cricket as being the newest form of the game that appears to be attracting significant interest, particularly from the younger generation - who anecdotally at least appear to need instant access and "gratification" - at least in a sporting sense !! ( Might also have something to do with the rise in fast food outlets, too ?? - but that I suspect is another story alltogether)
Don't forget the emergence of the Investec Schoolboy 7's earlier this year (which hopefully will be back again next year) plus the ARU organized 7's tournie ( held at 'View). Maybe it will start to get a studhold after all ?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I really don't like the comparison to T20 Cricket that seems to follow Sevens. While some people may not appreciate the format it is within itself a perfectly valid form of the game which shares almost as long a history as 15s. T20 is a shortened version of an already reduced format from the original with a very short history while Sevens has existed for well over 100 years.I like many prefer 15s ( I'm a Prop after all) but I can really see the entertainmnet value in Sevens. There has certainly been more attention focused its way of late most particularly at the Scoolboys level. It's a decent start and schools participation should be one of the ARU and State Unions primary targets.

People may not like the to openly state this but the major football codes have been partaking in a 'cold war' of sorts lately each looking to strategically position themselves if it ever warms up. Currently the we are the weakest of the lot and if it came down to it we'd lose out considerably. That's why I see Sevens as important key is securing our future. One of Rugby's major issues is perception. It is percieved (certainly not helped by the media) as a boring and uninspiring sport. Sevens can change that. From my experience after playing the game competitively most people (Leaguies prmarily) at the very least develop an appreciation for tha game if not continue playing and avidly supporting. It's our trump card and one we can realistically use to compete with the 3 other codes.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The emergence of these carnivals proves my point. Love or hate the format it is here to stay and is only going to grow. Just like one day cricket I think there is room for both and it can only be good for the game overall with added interest from the public, press and players. I reckon the ARU needs to harness the interest and develop a national comp. ASAP.

It is a bit ad hoc at the moment. ARU state bodies and schools need to start to get organised and develop a pathway, coordinating activities in a coherent manner right down to the Junior village club level. This pathway needs to be implemented asap to have measures in place to be able to engineer a team for 2016 Gold Medal, rather then create a team from casting the eyes over the XV's talent available in 2015.

Sevens is suited to off season and pre-season timings.

The Jarses have enjoyed attending many Uni-Norths Canberra Mazda Sevens Junior 7's tournaments while the junior Jarses have progressed through the grades. Very well organised tournament.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
One of Rugby's major issues is perception. It is percieved (certainly not helped by the media) as a boring and uninspiring sport. Sevens can change that. From my experience after playing the game competitively most people (Leaguies prmarily) at the very least develop an appreciation for tha game if not continue playing and avidly supporting. It's our trump card and one we can realistically use to compete with the 3 other codes.

Spot on, even the diehard Mungoes were watching the 7's, I spoke to quite a few over the week. The common theme was "I don't like Rugby, but this 7's is allright"
I think the increase in exposure in 7's can only be a good thing for the 15 man game.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
From International Rugby Board President Bernard Lapasset in March 2010:

"We are committed to ensuring that all our Unions have access to a development and tournament pathway that optimises the effects of Olympic Games inclusion. We are encouraging our National Unions to actively collaborate with their local governments and National Olympic Committees to develop strategies to foster the inclusion of Rugby in school curriculums as well as secure better funding for development programmes."

See what England did earlier in the year http://www.irb.com/irbsevens/news/newsid=2035466.html#rfu+define+rugby+sevens+future+england

The Rugby Football Union (RFU) is beginning the development of a long term strategy for Rugby Sevens in England at all levels by hosting a pivotal planning forum for over 70 key stakeholders in the game.

The conference objective is to share insights and generate discussion about how best to seize the opportunity to grow Rugby Sevens from the grassroots to the elite game in England on the back of the successful IRB Sevens World Series and the sport's inclusion in the Olympics in 2016.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Mungoball 7's is such a silly silly game. That is why diehard Mungoers can appreciate rugby 7's.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Mungoball 7's is such a silly silly game. That is why diehard Mungoers can appreciate rugby 7's.

So that's a good thing isn't it?
Or should all forms of the game, remain a secret to the great unwashed?
I would have thought any increased interest in any form of the game could only be a positive thing.

Informer

Ward Prentice (10)
So that's a good thing isn't it?
Or should all forms of the game, remain a secret to the great unwashed?
I would have thought any increased interest in any form of the game could only be a positive thing.

Its exactly why we managed to keep players like Jason Seage in the game rather than switch to mungoball. I reckon it will appeal to a lot of the young guys who play touch foooty and then traditionally head to leagueland. Of course it only suits backrowers and backs but better than nothing.

observer

Tom Lawton (22)
The Super Sevens rugby tournament to be held next Saturday at Woollahra seems like a good event. But they want to charge $27.50 and $22 admission respectively for adults and kids>10/students See https://super7srugby.com.au/ticket-info. I went to the central coast sevens last weekend and it only cost $5 to get in and some of the best sevens teams in Australia were on display including the Jnr Tahs and some Shute Shield clubs.

If they want to promote the game they will have to watch that they don't price themselves out of the market.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think 7s is underrated as a platform to transition willing Mungos to 15s. It allows them to learn 15s skills whilst not rendering many of their mungo ones obsolete (say as offloading, keeping the ball alive ect).

I'm not saying we should approach them willy nilly but if a good Mungo player is running around in NSW/QLD Cup (semi-pro) offer them a place in the 7s team (pro) providing they play club rugby is NSW or QLD. If they hit it off they can go info an academy or super rugby squad.

I'm not saying they should make up much of the 7s squad but 1 or 2 at a time couldn't hurt anyone and may well help. With another new super team we need to use avenues like this to create more depth.

PS: I mean mungo as a term of endearment, I come from Melbourne where union and league do not have a particularly heated rivalry.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think 7s is underrated as a platform to transition willing Mungos to 15s. It allows them to learn 15s skills whilst not rendering many of their mungo ones obsolete (say as offloading, keeping the ball alive ect).

I'm not saying we should approach them willy nilly but if a good Mungo player is running around in NSW/QLD Cup (semi-pro) offer them a place in the 7s team (pro) providing they play club rugby is NSW or QLD. If they hit it off they can go info an academy or super rugby squad.

I'm not saying they should make up much of the 7s squad but 1 or 2 at a time couldn't hurt anyone and may well help. With another new super team we need to use avenues like this to create more depth.

PS: I mean mungo as a term of endearment, I come from Melbourne where union and league do not have a particularly heated rivalry.

That's interesting as most who do use that term don't.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The Super Sevens rugby tournament to be held next Saturday at Woollahra seems like a good event. But they want to charge $27.50 and $22 admission respectively for adults and kids>10/students See https://super7srugby.com.au/ticket-info. I went to the central coast sevens last weekend and it only cost $5 to get in and some of the best sevens teams in Australia were on display including the Jnr Tahs and some Shute Shield clubs.

If they want to promote the game they will have to watch that they don't price themselves out of the market.
These guys are not looking to promote the game, but to promote this event. They are predicting/hoping for 4,000 to attend.
Will be a nice little earn if they get close to their prediction, as their costs are $5k in prizemoney & ground hire.
Maybe the clubs need to get together & only compete in sanctioned events, so that any surplus goes to the clubs not promoters.

Status
Not open for further replies.