• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV ratings 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
New year, new TV rating battleground. Big challenge this year, for the early Super rugby games, clashing with the cricket world cup.

Anyway, last night's games

Crusaders v Rebels 90k
Brumbies v Reds 112k

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Pretty sure those are a little up on last season. Certainly better than most A-League games.
Pretty much the same as last years reds v brumbies game on sat night but still good. There were only 5 regular season games over 100k last year so getting off on the right foot.

90k for a kiwi game is pretty good too.

The À-league has had about 8 or 9 matches so far this season over 100k on fox, including 120k for last week's Melbourne derby so that's probably the number we should be aiming for.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Fucking league are talking about how 26k turned up to the Indigenous v All Stars but only 13k showed up to Brumbies v Reds.

Anyone got figures for the NRL game?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Fucking league are talking about how 26k turned up to the Indigenous v All Stars but only 13k showed up to Brumbies v Reds.

26k!!! Try about 15k at most. Lots of empty seats. The ratings for the All Star game were around 450k which considering the level of hype and promotion that went into it is actually pretty poor. About half of what the last edition got apparently.

It completely bombed in NZ with 21,000 at its peak.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
26k!!! Try about 15k at most. Lots of empty seats. The ratings for the All Star game were around 450k which considering the level of hype and promotion that went into it is actually pretty poor. About half of what the last edition got apparently.

I would love to know how many paying tickets were sold, I am pretty sure there are a lot of ATSI kids who get free tickets, transport and a Deadly Choices football jersey for the game.

I still find it interesting that a game that promotes equality is actually an us v them game.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

The question should be, how many actually paid to get in. The last week or so they were giving tickets away by the thousands.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I would love to know how many paying tickets were sold, I am pretty sure there are a lot of ATSI kids who get free tickets, transport and a Deadly Choices football jersey for the game.

I still find it interesting that a game that promotes equality is actually an us v them game.

I think you miss the point of the game, it is primarily a celebration of Aboriginal and Torres Straits identity and culture.

25% of NRL players are indigenous. They are part of the "us" in their game, but they and their communities obviously appreciate this opportunity to wear their colours and their symbols.

Good on 'em.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Capacity of CBUS is 27,400 the place would have to have been chocka if 26K turned up: we went to a Titans v Warriors SF a few years back, official crowd was around 22K & that was pretty much packed out.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The question should be, how many actually paid to get in. The last week or so they were giving tickets away by the thousands.

On Wednesday they were reporting that only 10,000 tickets had been sold. So, if it got anywhere near the supposed 26,000 (which it didn't) then they gave away quite a lot. But surely that couldn't have been the case. Only Rugby does that, not League being the game of the people and self proclaimed greatest game of all.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Waratahs v Force - 99k

Not too bad for a Sunday arvo game (though the crowd wasn't great?). Would have been nice to get the couple more viewers to get to the 100k benchmark.

The India-Pakistan match did big numbers on Foxtel (212k) at the same time and SA-Zim went OK too.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
All Australian involved games above 90 isn't to bad a start to the season, though I agree it would've been nice to have both derbies crack 100.

Just as an aside i think I saw somewhere that the India Pakistan match was set to be the most watched game of cricket ever, though I imagine that is due to the Indian ratings. A pity they never took to the other colonial game as readily.

T

TOCC

1billion global audience for India v Pakistan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
I'm not sure what good ratings are for these matches but the crowds for the Brums and the Tahs were pretty piss poor considering they should have been good games in a world cup year at quite friendly times (Fri night Canberra 19 degrees at 7.30pm - bloody better than it'll be in a couple of months). 13K in Canberra and 20K in Sydney is weak.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I was at the co-responding game against the Force last year and it looked like the crowd had almost doubled.

Jamie

Watty Friend (18)
I was at the co-responding game against the Force last year and it looked like the crowd had almost doubled.

Last year it was 16k I believe. 20k for the 1st game of the seson is pretty good IMO.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Putting it in context, the Sydney FC/Melbourne Victory game had ratings of only 60k.

Shows the A-League isn't quite the phenomenon some think, even after the Asian Cup success.

spikhaza

John Solomon (38)
AS a veteran who follows the ratings every year, a couple of points:

- The early games in Super Rugby always rate well. That 90k for the NZ game and the 120 for Brumbies Reds is your standard good quality rating. The ratings tend to drop off once the NRL starts.

- We've always outrated A-League games 1 for 1. I'm guessing the justification behind their bigger TV deal is that plain and simple they had more games in the season, and don't forget they are all in Australia.

Super RUgby has less games and a Third of the games rate at a sweet fuck all of <20,000 as they are in South Africa at nobodycares AM.

Force crowd was up from 16,300 last year to 20k this time for the Tahs, good result I guess.

The biggest thing Soccer / Football has going for it in my view is it's backed by a bloke with a shittonne of money (why can't Alan Jones or someone do the same for Rugby? Although his money is nowhere near a shittonne. Perhaps a conglomerate of a few old boys with some cash?)

With Lowy's backing, Soccer got in and has a domestic league, which is growing steadily and has been for a while. If I was a billionaire, I would get on that ARU board, give South Africa the finger bar the Rugby Championship and tell NZ that we are creating a NZ/Aus competition with heaps of money, fans etc and to get on board.

That's exactly what Soccer did with the A-League, and it's slowly gaining a foothold with good quality investment. There's always a winner in Australia and the League has got a bit of FTA presence now.

Clearly there is strong supporting elements for Rugby but unfortunate circumstances are holding us back.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Putting it in context, the Sydney FC/Melbourne Victory game had ratings of only 60k.

Shows the A-League isn't quite the phenomenon some think, even after the Asian Cup success.

At that game has traditionally been one of the marquee rivalry games. The difference is the journos attached to the A-League talk it up positively along with the fans. My Uncle who's a soccerista has been telling me for the past 5 years that the A-League has been improving blah, blah, blah.

It hasn't and in reality its still of rather poor quality.

Brendan Hume

Charlie Fox (21)
Whatever the ratings, Brums really need to get bums on seats. It's great they've picked up a sponsor, but 13K in prime viewing time for Canberra isn't enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.