• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Clyde is right. Who worries about their legacy or good reputation from the past when the hunger still burns to play the game you love? I can imagine what it would be like sitting there, watching time go by, while others are still playing at an older age & you're there wondering "what if?". Then comes the time when it is too late & you're probably going to regret that more than coming back & possibly failing - at least you got your answer. Some are happy when they walk away, for those that are not & still have time I say go for it. Glad to have you back Clyde. They did not go into the depression demons side of things which would have been interesting but still it is probably the best interview of a player for some time

Laughed at the tweet that compared Clyde to Van Damme.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I think his main point was that Barnes stands too deep. It's a valid criticism.

Wich they then explained as Barnes was presented with a lack of options especially inside that made him drift back for deeper ball. Again they failed to actually explain what needed to happen as a team, instead focusing on an individual and random plays to try to tell everyone that what happens is completely individual.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
How wide and deep your No 10 stands, and how straight he runs is critical, whether it's Barnes or whoever.
Barnes stands too deep for the Waratahs and Syd Uni too, so there's a pretty clear pattern to his play.

SteveMerrick

Allen Oxlade (6)
How wide and deep your No 10 stands, and how straight he runs is critical, whether it's Barnes or whoever.
Barnes stands too deep for the Waratahs and Syd Uni too, so there's a pretty clear pattern to his play.

Barnes is not a genuine ten - he is a very good twelve in the classical twelve model not the crash and barge option so many persist with today. He will complement Cooper very well and defensively will be very solid as long as Quade sticks and doesn't put Barnes in two minds....

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
Barnes is not a genuine ten - he is a very good twelve in the classical twelve model not the crash and barge option so many persist with today. He will complement Cooper very well and defensively will be very solid as long as Quade sticks and doesn't put Barnes in two minds..
Agree he is not a 10

SteveMerrick

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think it goes without saying that Marto is NOT a Journalists rectum.

Journalism is an honourable profession with high standards and ethics.

Just because someone is on TV and has a slot on local radio, does not mean that they are a Journalist.

I can only think that Marto is on The Rugby Club in a comedic relief role. Not that he is a comic, but we get to have a good laugh seeing him perform as a village idiot.

Correct Marto is actually a builder - he would never hold himself out to be a Journalist

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Wich they then explained as Barnes was presented with a lack of options especially inside that made him drift back for deeper ball. Again they failed to actually explain what needed to happen as a team, instead focusing on an individual and random plays to try to tell everyone that what happens is completely individual.

Barnes stands too deep as habit - not just in this game. And it happens regardless of what others around are doing.

Given its a 2 minute segment, not a detailed post match analysis it is always more likely that 1 or two things will be concentrated on rather than an overarching view of the game/tactics.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
The lack of options was glaring. The same went for the Tahs this year with his play. If its him not bossing people or coaches instructions needs to be addressed. It does make play one directional

WJ - it's not just ths year. Barnes at #10 always stands far too deep. If you want to build a team around that then you have to live with the consequences. Every team he plays in at #10 the same thing happens.

I'll be surpised if the Wallabies play so deep this week with Quade at #10.

Whether deep or flat is best may be judged this week or maybe not.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
WJ - it's not just ths year. Barnes at #10 always stands far too deep. If you want to build a team around that then you have to live with the consequences. Every team he plays in at #10 the same thing happens.

Never said he didn't play deep. But the problem comes when he is out under pressure he drifts deeper to buy himself more time. His best is when he runs onto the ball straight before looking at options which is why I prefer him at 12.

My main problem is the lack of options around him that the rugby club pointed out from the past weekend. If it is him not organizing, coaches not coaching it or other. It seems to have gotten to epic proportions this year both state and country. On TRC they spoke about digby providing that option for Quade, but never said why he didn't for berrick, we're where the inside runners?

Scotty

David Codey (61)

A problem that was identified at the reds when Barnes first got pushed to 12. I know the outside backs certainly liked having cooper at 10 as opposed to Barnes - and copper would only have been 19/20 at that time.

T

TOCC

Never said he didn't play deep. But the problem comes when he is out under pressure he drifts deeper to buy himself more time. His best is when he runs onto the ball straight before looking at options which is why I prefer him at 12.

My main problem is the lack of options around him that the rugby club pointed out from the past weekend. If it is him not organizing, coaches not coaching it or other. It seems to have gotten to epic proportions this year both state and country. On TRC they spoke about digby providing that option for Quade, but never said why he didn't for berrick, we're where the inside runners?

mate it's not purely about the options been presented to the 5/8, the 5/8 is the playmaker for a reason, he also needs to create some of those opportunities himself... Players aren't going to run lines if they are 20m behind the gain line..

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
If Archie's Dad is standing too deep, then the #9 shouldn't pass it so deep. Drop a few in short to encourage him forward. Send a few wide but flat. After a few howlers like that the game debriefing sessions may ram home the importance of correct positioning of the #10 and how this fits in with the game plan.

OR is he standing so deep BECAUSE it is part of the game plan.

It certainly makes it hard to make the gain line when you start your attack 12+ metres behind it, and it is soooooooo tempting to let fly with a boot in those circumstances.

Nelse

Chris McKivat (8)
It was not lack of options that always caused Barnes to be standing deep. One of the examples Kafe showed last night was when the ball went through the hands right to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), but went at least 20m behind the game line. It was partly dictated by the style of the All Blacks defence with the quick rush up close to the ruck. But I think its endemic in Barnes' game. It could be left over from his days with the Broncos. League first receivers tend to stand a bit deeper then say Steyn or Carter would.

Barnes could be a class ten, and shows glimpses of it. His headknocks probably haven't helped his confidence, causing him to subconsciously set up a bit deeper to give himself time before collision. It could probably be coached out of him, but the way he plays now is more suited to a 2nd flyhalf, and being in control of the 2nd man plays.

HG

Jimmy Flynn (14)

I agree WJ, I think you will find it is his lack of organizational skills that causes the problem. Having watched the game live at the ground and comparing what Cooper does in attack is chalk and cheese. Cooper looks like a traffic cop in attack moving all the time and calling runners into position. As he does this for the Reds Genia doesn't have worry as much as to where he has to send the ball. As this is not happening when Cooper is not there, therefore it creates slower ball form the breakdown. Genia doesn't step up to this roll when Cooper is not there nor does Barnes. The Pigs love it when told what to do as does Genia. I hardly can recall a time during the game that Barnes received the ball while he was in motion, this is a direct result of his style of play and the lack of his organization in attack. This is why Barnes kicks so much as he is not seeing anyway to break down the defense of the opposition. I believe the Tahs management were on to this fact and were looking to play him at 12 where they could but due to poor recruiting didn't have a viable option to replace him. They should have spent there money more wisely.
I can't believe that Deans can't see this.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Bernard foley was actually going to play ten much earlier for the Tahs, he had a shoulder injury so they kept him at fullback to hide him in defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.