• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
If the Foxtel "personalities" are asking Dorothy Dixers of their invited guests where the guest is only ever going to give a politically correct, buzzword laden response, on the off chance that some unpaid intern research assistant for The Rugby Club actually trawled Gaggerland for material, what questions should be asked of the following, that may end up in with a decent informative answer:

a. J O'Neill (ARU CEO)

b. Dingo (Wobs Coach)

c. N Farr-Jones (NSWRU Chairman)

d. Jake White (Brumbies Coach)

e. Adam Freier (Recent retiree)

f. Steve Hansen (Lord of the Darkness)

Limited to one question per Rugby Club guest, mine would be:

a. JO’N. Rugby 7's at the Olympics in Rio presents a fantastic opportunity to grow the sport on the back of the Olympic profile. Many Olympic sports have little or no public profile between the games. What will the ARU be doing to ensure that the interest in Rugby 7's is sustained beyond the 2 weeks of the Olympics in Rio?

[Alternate Question:- Rugby is very well entrenched in some parts of Sydney and Brisbane. How is the battle for expansion into South West and West Sydney, the Hunter, Illawarra, Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast going?]

b. Dingo. You are a proponent of Wallabies playing club footy when possible. While the players undoubtedly enjoy playing for their clubs, there are lot of conflicting time demands imposed on Elite Rugby players, and there is player burn out and injury management issues to consider as well. In your view, are the elite players disengaged from the grass roots and if so what could be done to get the balance right that won’t adversely impact their Wallaby requirements and commitments?

c. Kick Too-Farr Janes. Describe are the key opportunities and initiatives that are in the pipeline from NSWRU to re-invigorate Rugby’s grass roots?

d. Jake W. You have coached national teams and at Super rugby club levels. Priorities and strategies for player development and management can differ between those levels. Do you see your coaching and player development role limited to just the Brumbies, and how do you see yourself fitting in to the overall Rugby pathway for our elite, and “up and coming” elite players?

e. Adam F. As one of the original Melbourne Rebels, what are the major differences you have seen in Victorian rugby and what are the key areas to focus on in the future to ensure that Victorian Rugby and the Rebels prosper?

f. Steve Hansen. Describe the Steve Hansen version of All Black Rugby, how does this differ from the previous Graham Henry version and what legacy do you hope to leave New Zealand Rugby when you eventually leave?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I am saying it was a stupid question that shouldn't have been asked given there is no way he could possibly answer it in any way other than what he did, because it was an inflammatory (and frankly) insulting question to ask. The question is veiled at best, and outright confrontational at worst - and without a lot of preface before hand which is beyond Marto, should not have been asked. Perhaps if it was a post bledisloe interview conducted by a proper journalist then fine, it might have required an in depth answer that would possibly be a real insight into selection policies.

therefore:

IF there was a conspiracy to pick tahs (which I don't believe there is), then he would NOT answer it the way I mentioned - he would answer it the way he did and no one would know if he was lying or not - he is not human so normal body language techniques don't work with him :p.

IF there was no conspiracy to pick tahs, then he would NOT answer it the way I mentioned - he would answer the way he did.

In other words - Deans could ONLY answer the question in one way - the way he did, making the question meaningless to ask as it could only ever elicit one response (the response he gave).

I am not sure if I have made that clearer or not.

Which all goes to show that Marto is a poor journalist. Good journalists frame questions in a way that force the interviewee outside the predetermined answer. That question was almost a "Dorothy Dixer" that allowed Deans off the hook.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Which all goes to show that Marto is a poor journalist. Good journalists frame questions in a way that force the interviewee outside the predetermined answer. That question was almost a "Dorothy Dixer" that allowed Deans off the hook.

It only allows him off the hook if there is something to catch. If deans has selected the players he sees fit to form a team he wants to coach then it really is irrelevant where they come from.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
WJ you're having a Tah moment :) the point of gel's post was the inanity of the question, nothing about franchises or players or selections.

It was a criticism of Marto, nothing nothing less.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)

I think it goes without saying that Marto is NOT a Journalists rectum.

Journalism is an honourable profession with high standards and ethics.

Just because someone is on TV and has a slot on local radio, does not mean that they are a Journalist.

I can only think that Marto is on The Rugby Club in a comedic relief role. Not that he is a comic, but we get to have a good laugh seeing him perform as a village idiot.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
It only allows him off the hook if there is something to catch. If deans has selected the players he sees fit to form a team he wants to coach then it really is irrelevant where they come from.

Yes but if he asked like this:

'Robbie would you agree that the Waratahs performed below expectations this season and the players were a big part of that? Would you also agree that many of them appeared to lack fitness, often losing games due to poor last 20 minute performances?'

'If so, what leads you to believe that the same players can, in some cases, significantly improve their performances, despite the obvious step up in level to test rugby?'

'And if you believe that those players selected for national duties were in fact playing well during the super xv, what, in your opinion are the main reasons for the Waratahs underperformance?'

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
That question would only have had relivence before the welsh series. Asking it this week would have received.

"the players performed well against wales, we have had an extra month in camp and I'm sure they can achieve those performances again."

J

Jiggles

That question would only have had relivence before the welsh series. Asking it this week would have received.

"the players performed well against wales, we have had an extra month in camp and I'm sure they can achieve those performances again."

I don’t think I would’ve bought that answer, WJ. I would then point out that those same players returned to the Waratahs after the June tests and performed worse. So is it possible then that the Welsh team was massively underdone, for whatever reasons not prepared for this series, and the results shouldn’t be given to much credence going into the TRC.

For the record, Marto’s question was shithouse and got rightly shutdown with no further explanation by Deans.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The question is fine, it's a question a lot of people on here have asked several hundred times. It isn't in depth and nor is any answer ever going to be because at the end of the day the selectors are picking a team to carry out a game plan they see fit to implement. There not selecting a team as fanboys as the rest of us are.

The only reason people are outraged is because they already have an opinion they want to see clarified. Your not going to be happy unless deans or Marto or anyone else involves basically backs you're opinion up as right.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
The chalkboard is always selective, showing what Quade brings but not going into depth of what the forwards need to do in order for him to be able to is a very weak analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.