• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Sports shows of any stripe have never been particularly investigative, especially when they are of the panel variety. Why would or should this be any different for The Rugby Club?

I would refer you to the AFL program "On the couch". That program looks at issues, teams and management with an honesty that if the same was applied to rugby would blow the top off the game, much for its betterment. Its on every week, the people on it are senior ex-coaches and players and the result is a wonderful program run by people who love their game. Think of a panel program each week with Dwyer, Connolly and Macqueen moderated by Adam Freier.

The AFL do it. Strange that the AFL are also the number one football code in Australia.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Alittle bit of topic but the last few weeks of the Olympic hearing Gordon Bray commentate on the Sailing. brought back so many memory’s of when rugby commentators knew what they where on about!
it must have been a coincidence that it brought back such memories.
He called a good game but it's stretching it to suggest, if you are, that he knew more about the game than Greg Clarke, to take an example.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I would refer you to the AFL program "On the couch". That program looks at issues, teams and management with an honesty that if the same was applied to rugby would blow the top off the game, much for its betterment. Its on every week, the people on it are senior ex-coaches and players and the result is a wonderful program run by people who love their game. Think of a panel program each week with Dwyer, Connolly and Macqueen moderated by Adam Freier.

The AFL do it. Strange that the AFL are also the number one football code in Australia.
when does it start? They'd call a spade a spade.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
it must have been a coincidence that it brought back such memories.
He called a good game but it's stretching it to suggest, if you are, that he knew more about the game than Greg Clarke, to take an example.

I would listen to Bray over Clarke anyday of the week. But was more talking about the other idiots on fox.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
yep I agree with IS, just call the fucking game.
I don't care that a certain players next door neighbour met the world backgammon champion or whatever vague tidbit he has come across.......

Richo

John Thornett (49)

Don't watch AFL, so I've never seen it. There are also a lot of very good shows on American football of that nature. But those shows are rarely THE show about the sport, right? The main AFL show is still "The Footy Show" (as it is for NRL), which is not exactly in-depth analysis, at least in the few times I've seen it... I don't think there is a causal relationship between 'On the Couch' and the popularity of AFL.

It would be great to have such shows for rugby, but they'll always be in the "Gee, rugby is rating really well, what else can we put on?" basket, IMO.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Absolutely true.

You're always going to have a variety style show before you have a critical analysis show.

If The Rugby Club only attracts a certain fraction of the overall rugby viewership then the critical analysis show attracts a far smaller slice of the audience than that.

There are a lot of AFL shows on TV.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Generally, complaints I hear from mungo fans is that they don't understand Rugby. Maybe more tactics will help win over fans as they develop a greater appreciation of rugby and its nuances. Humour may engage new fans but they quickly turn off when it comes to the main game.

I agree. Explanation of the rules and more importantly the nuances of the game would benefit not only newcomers, but also a lot of the younger viewers, viewers who have not actually played the game and spouses of the addicted (male and female).

Agree 100%. I've said it before I came from a family background that was Loig & Rugby but lesser of Rugby. I actually got converted once I started playing & my coach actually took time to explain the laws in plain English. Once he did that Rugby made so much more sense than Loig & thus I was converted (playing the game itself helped too). I still see the odd grey area in our laws but it is learning the broad or most common occurring laws (such as laws involving the breakdown, & offside lines at set piece & second phase play) that help most to enjoy Rugby.

Once again I said it earlier but I would just like to see a general segment on a particular law each week using actual game footage to show the infringement, etc. Use a current or up and coming referee to walk through it on the screen like Kafes chalkboard. At some point you'd go over the same laws again but using different games because for it to sink in you need a bit of repetition.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Once again I said it earlier but I would just like to see a general segment on a particular law each week using actual game footage to show the infringement, etc. Use a current or up and coming referee to walk through it on the screen like Kafes chalkboard. At some point you'd go over the same laws again but using different games because for it to sink in you need a bit of repetition.

Would having this function as an optional red-button foxtel thingy work in live games? Maybe have it on all the time but you can switch if off with the red-button if you want. Would definitely help educate the masses.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Would having this function as an optional red-button foxtel thingy work in live games? Maybe have it on all the time but you can switch if off with the red-button if you want. Would definitely help educate the masses.

I really like that idea! While they are at it (& yep I've repeated this a few times) they should add the option to cut out the commentary & have the option to hook up to the ref's mic or just the crowd. Our game is foreign enough for some people the last thing we need is our commentary crew confusing them even more. Then there are those of us who would just love the silence.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I don't mind shutting Foxtel commentary off and just watching and making my own interpretations about what is going on.

Clark is OK, but the comments and color idiots that they have for Aust games is absolutely cringeworthy.

Used to love turning the volume down in the ch nein cricket games and listening to the ABC commentary one the radio. Can't do that anymore due to time lags between the various broadcasters.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
The rugby club is shit until Kafer has something to say. Foxtel or any television network would be better off bringing in neutral commentators for test matches. So we should have the Saffas call our game this week or bring in one of the six nations commentators to call the game.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't mind shutting Foxtel commentary off and just watching and making my own interpretations about what is going on.

Clark is OK, but the comments and color idiots that they have for Aust games is absolutely cringeworthy.

Used to love turning the volume down in the ch nein cricket games and listening to the ABC commentary one the radio. Can't do that anymore due to time lags between the various broadcasters.

The cricket on the radio is brilliant.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I think that it would be a sad day for rugby in Australia if "The Rugby Club" becomes a clone of, or competes with, The Footy Show (NRL or AFL).

There needs to be a TV programme where questions (some of them hard) are asked and answered (not politicians answers where they answer a question that they would have preferred to have been asked). A programme like "On the couch" might be appropriate.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just off subject slightly, in NZ they have a great programme aimed exclusively at kids called Small Blacks, where kids send in stories of their games etc, also have a few ABs on talking about how they started playing etc, giving tips etc, and also giving kids general coaching tips, they even bring out a Small Blacks mag for the kids. Would love to be able to get it downloaded as a few of the kids I know down at rugby club over here would lap it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.