• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
People seem to get so upset with The Rugby Club panel not asking the hard questions etc.

What do you really expect? The show is there for entertainment and is there to promote the rugby that Foxtel shows. A big part of the show is having guests on there (both players and coaches).

The panel are not investigative journalists, they're commentators/media personalities and are there to create an entertaining show about rugby (that is often pretty light hearted).

If they started sticking the boot into their guests, they pretty quickly would not have any guests. They're also not going to ask questions that they know their guests won't answer. That just makes for awkward situations and bad televsion.

Expecting someone like Drew Mitchell to get stuck into the Waratahs organisation is just crazy. Of course he isn't going to do it. They're his teammates and his employer. There's a reason why people wait until they've retired before they do 'tell-all memoirs' etc. You don't want to burn bridges you still need to cross.

It's akin to an interview with a player after their team has just lost after someone made a howler of an error. The player is never going to hang their teammate out to dry even though it's obvious that they lost because of that player's mistake. They'll instead say that the team didn't play well enough.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
It was titled "State of the game special".
In the opening statement they said they "will be looking at some of the big issues in Aust Rugby is recent times".
Viewer interaction via twitter for viewers comments or questions, further underlined the impression it was supposed to be more than just the usual piggies and princesses etc.
I don't think anyone is critical of Drew.Obviously he is not in a position to be asking he questions Kearns Kafe etc should have been asking.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Should Kearns and Kafer be asking Drew Mitchell questions they know he won't be able to answer?

I certainly don't think so.

There is only so much that a Foxtel show is going to be able to delve into the issues at play.

Clearly there are problems at the Waratahs and the Force, but only someone unrelated to the rugby product in Australia is going to be able to air it in public if they managed to find out all the details. People still employed by those provinces or really anyone in the rugby fraternity are not going to air all the dirty laundry in public.

In many regards, there is a sense of collectivism in the whole situation. It does the Reds, Brumbies and Rebels no favours for the Tahs and Force to look terrible. The popularly of every franchise helps the popularity of rugby overall in Australia.

There's nothing to be gained for someone within the rugby fraternity to try and turn the public in Sydney and Perth against their own teams.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Should Kearns and Kafer be asking Drew Mitchell questions they know he won't be able to answer?

There is only so much that a Foxtel show is going to be able to delve into the issues at play.

Clearly there are problems at the Waratahs and the Force, but only someone unrelated to the rugby product in Australia is going to be able to air it in public if they managed to find out all the details. People still employed by those provinces or really anyone in the rugby fraternity are not going to air all the dirty laundry in public.

In many regards, there is a sense of collectivism in the whole situation. It does the Reds, Brumbies and Rebels no favours for the Tahs and Force to look terrible. The popularly of every franchise helps the popularity of rugby overall in Australia.

There's nothing to be gained for someone within the rugby fraternity to try and turn the public in Sydney and Perth against their own teams.
Tell marto and Kearnes that

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I haven't watched the whole thing yet, but I did get a bit irritated at the constant reference to "Premier Rugby" by Nucifora.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)

Maybe I am wrong, but he seemed to be talking about Brisbane, and ignoring the Sydney comp which, AFAIK, is still called the Shute Shield, or, if not, just plain club rugby. Not only in the name but also when he talked about the comp not starting until May, the Shute Shield starts in April.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
the idea of a u20's games from each province got me thinking, how much would it actually cost? Could it be a State schoolboys team from each porvince's state?

if you just played a curtain raiser before every local derby then each team would be up for 4 away trips each. At a minimum you could look at 25 players and 5 coaches/trainers per trip. I would look at a fly in and fly out option where there is no accomodation costs involved and just 2 flights on the same day. so about 50 flights per game @$300 return? If you book far enough in advance the prices should be alright so this would come to about $15000 per away trip. This seems pretty reasonable to me. $60000 for the away trips for the season.

Surely there are ways to get it cheaper, if an airline wants to sponsor the Wallabies, then they have to supply free flights in economy for the juniors, if you want to provide the playing gear then you have to throw in the junior kits etc

I am sure that it could work and surely Fox would like some extra games too.

I wonder if under 20's would be too young to be useful as a stepping stone to S15? Maybe an U23's with a limit of 3 players over 23 per team could be a better option

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)

I just heard this out of the corner of my ear as my son replayed it: its a joke.
Its all very well to say its not mean to be truth seeking or hard hitting but if its not going to expose whatever needs to be exposed why bother - its just some sort of back scratching PR exercise to no avail.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I just heard this out of the corner of my ear as my son replayed it: its a joke.
Its all very well to say its not mean to be truth seeking or hard hitting but if its not going to expose whatever needs to be exposed why bother - its just some sort of back scratching PR exercise to no avail.

I've said this before, but I think it's needs saying again. Foxsports aren't in the business of dissecting and exposing anything. They have invested I rugby for content on their channel that gets more funding by appealing to the broadest audience possible.

Further to this, is what needs to be "exposed" actually for the general public? There are a few of us that love the political, in depth side, but even though I count myself amongst them, the information is more akin to a gossip mag than anything that is going to actually affect my love of rugby.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I've said this before, but I think it's needs saying again. Foxsports aren't in the business of dissecting and exposing anything. They have invested I rugby for content on their channel that gets more funding by appealing to the broadest audience possible.

Further to this, is what needs to be "exposed" actually for the general public? There are a few of us that love the political, in depth side, but even though I count myself amongst them, the information is more akin to a gossip mag than anything that is going to actually affect my love of rugby.

Get real WJ: no one but die hard rugby fans watches the Rugby Club or anything else to do with rugby except test matches.
What needs to be exposed is whatever it is that explains the Tahs perennial under achievement.
As was hinted at by Braveheart one of the problems in solving this running sore is that the only people who know what is going on are all insiders.
If they don't tell the long suffering followers of the game what they think is wrong (even 1 sentence would be nice), what they think should be done about it and when they think it is achievable then why should those fans keep the faith? They are dudded every year for reason that have never been explained and on your view need not be explained. The medium term answer is to stop supporting the Tahs.
One of my sons follows the Reds and the other the Brumbies - neither is interested in playing for the Tahs under any circumstances. Their friends are the same - so it cant just be my frustration that shapes their attitude.
Where is that going to leave the Tahs in terms of supporters in, say, 5 years?
Its not to be forgotten that once Kearns crossed the threshold an entered into the running of Tahland however briefly or gratuitously the following applied to him:
You're either part of the problem or part of the solution

Richo

John Thornett (49)
So I'm sure your sons and all their mates would knock back contract offers, right?

Sports shows of any stripe have never been particularly investigative, especially when they are of the panel variety. Why would or should this be any different for The Rugby Club?

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
So I'm sure your sons and all their mates would knock back contract offers, right?

Sports shows of any stripe have never been particularly investigative, especially when they are of the panel variety. Why would or should this be any different for The Rugby Club?

Who knows?
Because Australian Rugby looks to be on a downward spiral led by the Tahs - who, like it or not, are the key to long term Australian success.
Besides which, to the extent that the panellists are able, the league shows do address the big issues in their code.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
As does the Cross Country Volley Ball Footy Show.

They manage to do this as well as maintaining the candyfloss and "schoolboy" humour elements for "less enlightened" viewer.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
IS - they have addressed what's wrong with the Tahs in one sentence previously. Communication. Management and players not getting along, depression, loss of winning attitude. What more do you want?

Die hards may well be the only people watching, but if you then aim the show at no one but die hards you prevent new viewers from being able to engage in the program.

Anyone that isn't an insider of he Tahs and doesn't know what's going on. Is it actually relivent to them? If you aren't actively seeking information about the team ad it's problems,then your relationship with the game is about your team winning and losing, it has nothing to do with politicians.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Generally, complaints I hear from mungo fans is that they don't understand Rugby. Maybe more tactics will help win over fans as they develop a greater appreciation of rugby and its nuances. Humour may engage new fans but they quickly turn off when it comes to the main game.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
IS - they have addressed what's wrong with the Tahs in one sentence previously. Communication. Management and players not getting along, depression, loss of winning attitude. What more do you want?

WTF?
Communication?
This is all chicken and egg (i.e. which came first) mumbo jumbo jibber jabber.
If communication is the issue i'd start with some four letter words and some adjectives and see if they feel communicated with.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
WTF?
Communication?
This is all chicken and egg (i.e. which came first) mumbo jumbo jibber jabber.
If communication is the issue i'd start with some four letter words and some adjectives and see if they feel communicated with.

How is communication chicken and the egg? It is a staple of any healthy relationship be it personnel or professional. Who are you swearing at and why?

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
Generally, complaints I hear from mungo fans is that they don't understand Rugby. Maybe more tactics will help win over fans as they develop a greater appreciation of rugby and its nuances. Humour may engage new fans but they quickly turn off when it comes to the main game.

I agree. Explanation of the rules and more importantly the nuances of the game would benefit not only newcomers, but also a lot of the younger viewers, viewers who have not actually played the game and spouses of the addicted (male and female).

Status
Not open for further replies.