• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby TV Shows

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Watched the Rugby Club during the week. The big news in their eyes was Pocock moving to the Brumbies. They discussed Foley moving to the Force and Kearns expressed his displeasure at this. It amazed me that they mentioned so little about the Tahs woes. Chairman resigns (but not mentioned), NSWRU considering revoking the Tahs license and JON supporting it. The biggest franchise in the country is going down the toilet and they don't discuss it!
It was revealed earlier in the year that both Kafe and Kearns have been consulting for the Tahs. Is this why the topic was avoided during the week? If so I believe it severely compromises the objectivity of the panel on the show. I enjoy the show usually but after this week I'm beginning to question it. If this is premier TV show for the Code they have to discuss the tough issues.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I beg to differ, p.Tah. There is no possibility of a balanced, informed discussion about the machinations in any of the franchises on what is, after all, a show about the sport, not about the business of the sport. Plus, the vast majority of the audience could not give a rat's thingo about the politics at the Waratahs.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I beg to differ, p.Tah. There is no possibility of a balanced, informed discussion about the machinations in any of the franchises on what is, after all, a show about the sport, not about the business of the sport. Plus, the vast majority of the audience could not give a rat's thingo about the politics at the Waratahs.

Yeah. The nub of the problem is that we affionados want a program that is just about rugby and deals with the important issues. But Fox just wants to put on a nice fluffy program to keep the punters amused (like piggys and princesses). If we had the sort of backing AFL has, we'd deal with the Waratah drama in the Rugby version of "On The Couch". We would have people like Rod McQueen and Bob Dwyer as permanent guests, perhaps moderated by Adam Freier. Then we'd get some real analysis from people who can have a joke but who know that substance beats fluff every time.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
wamberal, IIRC the Rugby Club discussed the off field issues of the Reds when they were in difficulty a few years back, the Brumbies issues last year and Cannon mentioned the issues at the Force this year. Perhpas not in detail. I would guess that at least 40% of the shows viewers are from NSW I may be wrong but I would have thought they would want to know what is happening with their team. The business aspect is crucial to the sport so I thought it would be worth at least a mention. Perhaps Hawko is right.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
wamberal, IIRC the Rugby Club discussed the off field issues of the Reds when they were in difficulty a few years back, the Brumbies issues last year and Cannon mentioned the issues at the Force this year. Perhpas not in detail. I would guess that at least 40% of the shows viewers are from NSW I may be wrong but I would have thought they would want to know what is happening with their team. The business aspect it is crucial to the sport so I thought it would be worth at least a mention. Perhaps Hawkomis right.

I watch the Rugby Club, there are occasional bits in it that I like. But the treatment of the Reds, Brumbies and Force issues was pretty much on par with the treatment of the Tahs. All fluff and no substance.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Apart from anything else, the commentators on The Rugby Club struggle to put a coherent and interesting comment together about the sport as a sport - Kafe's Chalkboard is the honourable exception. They are simply not qualified, in any respect, to have a serious discussion about anything. It is fluff, I agree, and not very interesting or entertaining fluff at that.

I usually record it, and fast forward to the few minutes of decent content. Of which the best is always the "plays of the week".

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Unfortunately if is The Rugby Club or nothing.

Shouldn't stop us whinging though.

It is also a useful reminder to get the Footy Tips in for the weekend.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Rugby club has a big show on tonight, apparently you can tweet questions to them live.

Update: Lol, saw SFR's tweet, totally agree too!

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Fucking apologists. Take responsibility instead of passing the buck. Disgraceful first segment.

Have to say that pretty much sums up the feelings I had listening to it.

Now listening in to the segment on the Tahs, listening to Drew just cements my earlier comment from way back that current players are never going to answer the hard questions bluntly - with good reason too because they are too damn close to the source. I like Drew but he is dancing around the questions, painful stuff.

And now Vern Reid & the Force. Man this episode is like one of those dodgy horror rides at a Regional show.

Excellent tweet from the person who blasted leadership groups stating basically that they seem more like a schoolboy clique.

CEO from the Tahs dodges the meeting. Not surprised at that either.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
And there you have it. 50 mins of TV that proves 100% Australian rugby is so far up shit creek with no paddle it's not funny.... Can't wait for the last 10mins.... Some sort of Red Faces segment? John O'Neil doing magic tricks ?

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
And there you have it. 50 mins of TV that proves 100% Australian rugby is so far up shit creek with no paddle it's not funny.. Can't wait for the last 10mins.. Some sort of Red Faces segment? John O'Neil doing magic tricks ?

I wouldn't rule it out.

I still not sure what people expect playerst say. The tea thy playoff is paying there wage. There is company line,hi early, both of those things together then stupidity. Stupidity seems to be what people want.

I expected Drew to do exactly as he did, he's trapped, not his fault. Though I'd rather see him replaced by a hard nosed & knowledgeable Rugby Journalist, whose income is not controlled by anyone in our game & essentially free to ask tough questions without fear for their livelihood. Does such a journo exist in Australia for Rugby though?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
No serious questions being asked. If they are they are being dodged with goobdlegook, buzzwords and political speak.

Saw suckerforreds tweet scroll across the screen as well. Haven't seen any since.

Nothing surprising in the way the employees are answering the questions.

Bit of a yawnathon so far.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
My latest funny moment came when Kearns suggested that the Wallabies were hard done by, due to the scheduling issues vis a vis the test in Newcastle. Does he realise that in the World Cup last year the minnows had to backup within 3 days with 3rd world funding. Why am I still drawn to watching this trainwreck of a program?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Great to see Nucifora emphasising that the Super rugby clubs need to recruit better. There are plenty of club players who are not getting opportunities here and are leaving to go overseas when they are more than capable. This imo is the biggest issue here. If I had my way I wouldn't allow any foreign players.

Status
Not open for further replies.