• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2019

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I just don't get the apologists looking to justify incredibly bad decisions by officials. And there are a few of them on this site.

To even contemplate that a referee can't be replaced because appointments had been made some time previously is just head in the sand stuff. What would happen if a referee suffered an injury or illness a day or two before a game. Of course, replacements can be made. And in this instance, all Romanian game officials should have been replaced simply to avoid the suggestions of bias coming after the event.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I feel for Spain, I really do, but this is such a common sense solution from WR (World Rugby). Next we'll hear that they're doing something about Romanian control over scheduling and referee appointments!

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not sure who appealed the original decision but......

".....Russia are confirmed as Europe 1 and will take their place in Pool A at Rugby World Cup 2019, while Germany will host Portugal on 16 June with the winner progressing to face Samoa in Apia on 30 June and in Europe on 14 July. "

https://www.worldrugby.org/news/340596

Hopefully that's the end of it & WR (World Rugby) ensures there's no repeat.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Looks like Germany will be back to full strength for the remaining qualifiers. Should be enough to get them past Portugal, but it would still take a miracle to beat Samoa. They did beat Romania once last year though so they might be a chance of winning the repechage against Canada, Hong Kong and Africa 2.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Samoa 35-3 Germany at HT.

EDIT: FT Samoa 66-15 Germany

I see the Samoan PM/ RU Chairman called the players gutless again last week, makes you wonder why they bother making themselves available.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Samoa 42-28 Germany in the return match, Samoa qualify for RWC & Germany go into the repechage.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/i...-to-qualify-for-2019-rugby-world-cup-in-japan

Highlights when WR (World Rugby) put them up.

998609432.jpg

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Namibia 53-28 Kenya to qualify in Pool B:

IMG_0827.JPG

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/namibia-qualify-for-2019-rwc-join-boks-in-pool-b-20180818

Repechage in Marseilles in November: Kenya, Germany, Canada & Hong Kong. Rankings-wise you'd expect Canada to run away with it but there must be a reason why they're in the repechage so maybe it's not quite that clear-cut.

EDIT: um, actually Hong Kong (21) are ranked ahead of Canada (23), Kenya (28) & Germany (29). Who'd have thought that without looking it up?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

View attachment 10222

https://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/namibia-qualify-for-2019-rwc-join-boks-in-pool-b-20180818

Repechage in Marseilles in November: Kenya, Germany, Canada & Hong Kong. Rankings-wise you'd expect Canada to tomorrow away with it but there must be a reason why they're in the repechage so maybe it's not quite that clear-cut.

EDIT: um, actually Hong Kong (21) are ranked ahead of Canada (23), Kenya (28) & Germany (29). Who'd have thought that without looking it up?

Are the German side made up of expats or locals? Would be good for rugby if the Germans could take up the game in numbers.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ I'm sure Working Class Rugger will have the answer to that. Me, I wouldn't have the first clue, but I agree that in a country of 82 million even a small % of them taking up the game would be huuuge. They'd probably play 1980's Ringinland-level boring footy, but :)

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
IIRC there's an ongoing schism of some sort in German domestic rugby which is preventing many of their best players from being involved in the qualifying campaign. If I further recall correctly, those players are now being made available for the repechage stage, so they should be a lot better than they previously have been.

Could be completely wrong on all that, though.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^ yeah, I do recall WCR posting to that effect but I thought they got it sorted just in time for the qualifier v Portugal. Like you, though, I could be waaay off beam.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
The German rugby schism ended before the Portugal playoff. So Germany were at something resembling full strength when they went down to Samoa (15-66 away and 28-42 at home). Presumably they should be a little stronger for the repechage as they'll have a much better preparation.

From all reports there are quite a few players that aren't German born and raised, but I don't know what the % is. It'll be interesting to see if they get a few other professional players with a German grandparent or two put their hand up in time for the repechage. You'd think there'd be a few around. If not I think they're unlikely to go through, but with Canada underperforming lately it could be pretty open.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)

It was only in 2011 RWC that Canada drew with Japan and beat Tonga (who beat france) and stuck it to france for a bit if i remember correctly.

Massive fall from grace

Edit:
Capturecan.JPG

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It was only in 2011 RWC that Canada drew with Japan and beat Tonga (who beat france) and stuck it to france for a bit if i remember correctly.

Massive fall from grace

Edit:View attachment 10229

It's a real shame..........

They were a good side in the early to mid 90's......... made the quarters in the '91 RWC and produced a few quality backrowers.

I actually owned the '95 jersey.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Given some structural reform and the inclusion of a team or two in MLR (already have one due to join next season), Canada could get back to the levels they once were. Having the USA continually improve will be a positive for the region and hopefully provide a flow on effect.