• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rugby World Cup 2023

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Screen Shot 2023-08-07 at 4.50.03 pm.png

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
I know Glastonbury was only a few weeks ago, but whoever designed this hideous, festival lineup-esque, hard to read, technicolour yawn of a squad announcement graphic should be sacked immediately
I agree, and I was thinking the same about the NZ announcement, which looks like someone grabbed a picture of a PowerPoint slide at a boring conference. The actual names take up less than half the image. OK Marketing, we know we're paying you too much, but try making things simpler and clearer.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Looking through Argentina's RWC squad, if Aus or France can't go the distance I would absolutely love a Cheika led Argentina to win the RWC.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
I know Glastonbury was only a few weeks ago, but whoever designed this hideous, festival lineup-esque, hard to read, technicolour yawn of a squad announcement graphic should be sacked immediately
They are trying to make it look interesting as their coach might just be the most boring man on earth

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
No Ben Volavola at 1st 5. He started vs Japan the other day too.

Fiji looked like they might have just finally got it sorted in that Japan game. The tumblers all clicked. Cut out the mental errors and got the set piece right to complement their usual Jailbreak Hellfire Terror On Stilts skills from broken play.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Otherwise, in the absence of a decent 10, they should've just gone all in, dropped the entire concept of backs, and rolled with left right forward packs, and accompanying halfbacks.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Zander Fagerson charged with offence starting 4 weeks. Losing 1 week for on field sanction and immediate plea of guilt at first opportunity. Losing another for a coaching technique session.

Very lucky boy. Interesting proposition for this upcoming week re: what to do with Nel and how much exposure do Murphy and Sebastian need. My expectation is that Nel will be wrapped in cotton wool, Seb will get the start and Murph off the bench (reverse of the Italy game) and Townsend will select his 3rd stringer on that basis: Nel will then get the start against Georgia to work out whether Zander needs to be rushed back into the 3 v the Saffas, or if WP is still capable of putting up 50-55 mins at international level and he can build from the bench after only 48 minutes of Rugby played since mid-May.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Zander Fagerson charged with offence starting 4 weeks. Losing 1 week for on field sanction and immediate plea of guilt at first opportunity. Losing another for a coaching technique session.

Very lucky boy. Interesting proposition for this upcoming week re: what to do with Nel and how much exposure do Murphy and Sebastian need. My expectation is that Nel will be wrapped in cotton wool, Seb will get the start and Murph off the bench (reverse of the Italy game) and Townsend will select his 3rd stringer on that basis: Nel will then get the start against Georgia to work out whether Zander needs to be rushed back into the 3 v the Saffas, or if WP is still capable of putting up 50-55 mins at international level and he can build from the bench after only 48 minutes of Rugby played since mid-May.
lucky indeed considering his history.

Him shaving off that initial week is that because he was binned for a significant amount of time in the game? If he was RC'ed in the 75th or not RC'ed at all does he get an extra week?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
lucky indeed considering his history.

Him shaving off that initial week is that because he was binned for a significant amount of time in the game? If he was RC'ed in the 75th or not RC'ed at all does he get an extra week?

I probably misspoke and applied my own biases there: moreso that incidents noted and punished on field tend to be looked upon slightly more leniently than any only picked up post match.

But ironically, his previous suspension seems to have benefited him here. By the release:

Scotland prop, Zander Fagerson, appeared before an independent judicial committee via video link having received a red card for an act of foul play contrary to Law 9.20 (a) (Dangerous play in a ruck or maul. “A player must not charge into a ruck or maul. Charging includes any contact made without binding onto another player in the ruck or maul.”) in the Summer Nations Series match between Scotland and France on Saturday 5 August 2023.

The independent Judicial Committee consisting of Rhian Williams – Chair (Wales), Jamie Corsi (Wales) and Juan Pablo Spirandelli (Argentina) heard the case, considering all the available evidence and submissions from the player and his representatives.

In considering submissions made on behalf of the player, the Committee agreed to amend the offence to Law 9.20 (b) (Dangerous play in a ruck or maul. A player must not make contact with an opponent above the line of the shoulders.)

The player admitted that he had committed an act of foul play under the revised Law and that it was worthy of a red card. After reviewing all the evidence, the Committee applied World Rugby’s mandatory minimum mid-range entry point for foul play resulting in contact with the head. This resulted in a starting point of a four week suspension.

Reading between the lines, that suggests an argument of "yes, it was a dangerous act worthy of a red card and a suspension is deserved. But compare the two incidents: the first is reckless, aggressive and extremely dangerous, this one, while still dangerous and sloppily executed, shows a substantial change in technique and intention by the player. If the purpose of these regulations is prevention of injury, not punishment, please acknowledge that positive progress made and provide further opportunity to improve."

Now, all that is bullshit designed to give as much wiggle room to judiciaries to ensure as few players are missing from the RWC as possible, fully would have expected him to miss the full four in any other situation, but it's not half bad bullshit.