• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Rumour: Deans could be gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
We should get this guy to do the pep talks.
I love the fact that in 1:21, in a ball sport, there's no mention of the ball - what to do with it, how to get it or anything. There's mention of fornication, fornicating rectums, of rectums, of vaginas, and fornicating vaginas.....but not the ball.

Reactions: gel

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Here's how I see Robbie trying to motivate the boys:

uWqM3.gif

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
I love the fact that in 1:21, in a ball sport, there's no mention of the ball - what to do with it, how to get it or anything. There's mention of fornication, fornicating rectums, of rectums, of vaginas, and fornicating vaginas...but not the ball.
I just destroyed a quality keyboard reading that... Don't read and drink at the same time people!!!.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Australia got beaten by a red hot allblacks team.

We beat the best in the NH 3-0

We'll beat the bokke home and away and belt the Argies

We'll be undefeated in Europe

Dead set

Moderators: please tell Waylon "He's dreamin"!!

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
There was a very interesting point in Henry's book that bears on this discussion of team talks.

After Henry's first Tri-Nations in 2004, the captain Tana Umaga came to him and asked him to stop doing pre match pep talks. According to Umaga, they were completely wasted on the team who were already determined enough, and needed to go onto the field calm and prepared to do their jobs, rather than all raaked up and out of control.

Henry acquiesced to the request and stopped giving firey team talks. In fact he claims that he hardly says anything on the day of the game, and even at half time if his team was losing he only spoke with a calm and collected air.

Maybe these inspirational speeches are a bit of a waste of time.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
There was a very interesting point in Henry's book that bears on this discussion of team talks.

After Henry's first Tri-Nations in 2004, the captain Tana Umaga came to him and asked him to stop doing pre match pep talks. According to Umaga, they were completely wasted on the team who were already determined enough, and needed to go onto the field calm and prepared to do their jobs, rather than all raaked up and out of control.

Henry acquiesced to the request and stopped giving firey team talks. In fact he claims that he hardly says anything on the day of the game, and even at half time if his team was losing he only spoke with a calm and collected air.

Nice try Steve Hansen!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)

Maybe if your team has the hunger naturally imbued in it, it wouldn't be necessary. On the other side of the coin if your team turns up to every 2nd test and wander around the paddock looking like it's all too much hard work, a not so gentle reminder of why they are there isn't such a bad ides.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Fantastic.
Directly applicable to the Wallabies right now!

With the beauty of hindsight you'd have to say Telfers speech worked with the Lions In that 2nd test. With the Boks throwing the kitchen sink at them after the Guscott drop goal to try and win the game, the Lions showed a massive amount of grit to hold on.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
If he's such a great coach, take him at the Rebels. He's got great rapport with Kurtley and JOC (James O'Connor), doesn't mind a drinking culture, could be the next stage in the Rebels Super progress. We supporters at the Tahs don't want him.

not meaning to have a go, but i find it hard to see you'd just say no way to deans. he's a great coach (at least at super rugby level) regardless of what you think of the wallabies run of late.

re "...doesn't mind a drinking culture" - easy grumbles.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
agree. find it impossible to say he's a bad coach though. he hasn't done "well" with the wallabies (in fact he's done quite well aside from his record against the ABs. and i don't count samoa, i think that should have been a wake up call that a full strength samoa is better than a 2nd wallabies xv - some nations have closed the gap, its a reality. none of this exceptionalism business)
that aside he has a pretty absurd track record at super rugby level.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
agree. find it impossible to say he's a bad coach though. he hasn't done "well" with the wallabies (in fact he's done quite well aside from his record against the ABs. and i don't count samoa, i think that should have been a wake up call that a full strength samoa is better than a wallabies xv - some nations have closed the gap, its a reality. none of this exceptionalism business)
that aside he has a pretty absurd track record at super rugby level.
agreed.
And as a nation I think there may have been the idea that all we had to do was appoint him and he would work his magic. That was probably more than somewhat naive. But how come we all worked out that it wasn't quite happening as planned sooner than JON did?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Lyall

Allen Oxlade (6)
I love the fact that in 1:21, in a ball sport, there's no mention of the ball - what to do with it, how to get it or anything. There's mention of fornication, fornicating rectums, of rectums, of vaginas, and fornicating vaginas...but not the ball.

I take it they don't play that game in heaven then?

Lyall

Allen Oxlade (6)
Despite all of the criticism of Deans as a coach, and there has been plenty, it's pretty hard to dislike Deans the person.
He seems like a thoroughly decent guy.

From the limited soundbites I've seen he seems the most likeable of the three NZ coaches of late. Is Deans from farming stock?

Rod Maqueen seemed decent enough but the others???

A night on the town with DeVilliers would be the most 'interesting'...

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
From the limited soundbites I've seen he seems the most likeable of the three NZ coaches of late. Is Deans from farming stock?

Rod McQueen seemed decent enough but the others???

A night on the town with DeVilliers would be the most 'interesting'.
Imagine what he'd be like on the syrup o_O

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Is that because he's a Dingo?

Deans' family is what's known as "old money". You know, the investing type of farmer as opposed to the guy who lives on the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.