• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 - Bitch, moan and discuss - Referees and Law Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
the problem with referees is that not one of them really knows what's going on in the front row at scrum time. They think they do, and I'm sure all ref's departments have consultation with experts, but when a skinny little weed of a man, lectures a 6 foot 4 tighthead on the finer parts of front row play, in my humble opinion loses all credibility. I actually saw this first hand in a midweek colts game a month or so back. I work in Chatswood and heard through a mate that Gordon were playing Parramatta in a wet weather catch up game. Gordon won it, and won it well. But I noticed an old friend there watching, former Wallaby Mark Hartill, so we watched the game together. It was very apparent, that the Parramatta tighthead was all over the Gordon loosehead at scrum time. Harts made such comment too. Then Gordon replaced the loosehead with another, same thing, the Parra tighthead had his measure. Then for some strange reason, with 10 minutes to go and the game well won, the ref decided to repeatedly penalise the tighthead. I felt at the time it was deplorable. At the conclusion of the match, I noticed the Parra coach talking to the ref and the official tj, and they began showing him how the tighthead should pack. We walked past to listen and what they were saying was discgraceful, it was clear they were quoting straight from the manual. But the breaking point was, the tj, who was 60 kg ringing wet, then began physically showing the Parra coach, who himself looked like he'd packed a few thousand scrums in his day, on how his prop should pack. It was mind boggling, and to his credit, the Parra coach took the 'advice' on board, thanked the ref and tj for their feedback then waddled over to have a chat with his prop. I sincerely hope all he told his prop was to keep doing what he was doing and ignored the rubbish he was shown.

I thought at the time, if it's happening at that level, god help us in the World Cup.

Knuckles

Ted Thorn (20)
Poite's performance in the match SA V Fiji was terrible. His adjudication of the breakdown was shocking and very inconsistant within the game. People penalised at one ruck and the next players doing the same thing getting away with it. Fiji tacklers never released the player and Brussow entered many rucks from the side and grapples for the ball with knees on the tackled player.

When will someone in a position of influence explain to the refs that when a player gets cleaned out at the ruck by being hit in the ribs, it cannot physically be through the gate? The ref's just over complicate the game with their incredulous inconsistencies forcing coaches to actually seek out ways to milk penalties...............

I'm sure William Webb Ellis would be turning in his grave at the thought of people actually going out to try to win games by kicking penalty goals. It is the interpretations of the refs that have forced coaches to coach that way, not the other way around as most whistle blowers would argue.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Didnt see Genia looking too happy like your avatar last night.
Although I did see him getting picked up and tossed around the pitch followed by looking dejected and glum after losing to Ireland.

Seriously. What kind of person joins a forum just to rub it in to the team that lost? Is this soccer or what? Miyagi, you are clearly a softock.

lily

Vay Wilson (31)
We already have a world cup refereeing thread. I think this will get merged in with that. In future use the "search" function before starting a thread.

As for your question, I didn't understand it. Is it an actual question about refereeing? Or just some sort of statement that you want people to read?

I'll break it down for you so it is clear for a third grader. When a preceived weak team plays a stronger one the weak team is always the scapegoat when things dont work. An example would be when anyone plays Sydney Uni. The referee will penalise the weaker team at the breakdown because in his mind he will be thinking Uni cant be at fault because thay are gentlemen and so well coached that they couldn't possibly be doing the wrong thing. The minnow will always be seen as the fall guy.
Also thanks for the advice about starting a thread that was great of you.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Going back to the controversy of the penalty kick Wales v Boks (in the minds of some of the public and players, not in the minds of the officials, who almost certainly called it right.)

Last night Newcastle played Leceister and a penalty kick was kicked over the top of the upright. The ARs said it was no goal but referee J.P.Doyle, no doubt gun shy because of what happened at the RWC, called for the TMO just in case. The TMO had vision from in front of the posts and also one from behind. It was inconclusive so the decision of the ARs was upheld.

My point is that it was not possible to judge whether the kick was over on not. The TMO could not judge at which point of the ball's flight it passed the plane of of the posts. For that a side-on camera would have been needed, the point at which it passed the plane marked, then the head-on shot and the one behind examined to see where the ball was at the mark. They obviously didn't have such a camera at the ground

It's odds on that any TMO decision regarding such a declined attempt at goal would be overruled by the TMO unless they have made a gross error. There must be certainty that they have erred and the possibility that part of the ball may have touched the post, had it been taller, has to be taken into account.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The laws of Rugby can confuse, and the individual interpretation and application of them at times by referees can reinforce that confusion.

Frequently the losing sides supporters manage to find fault with the refs decisions and interpretations more than the victors.

With Jean-Henri Dunant refereeing, Mahatma Ghandi and Mother Therese as touch judges, there would be still be claims of bias.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Computer issues, forgot password, work impacting on leisure, Junior Jarses always on bloody Facebook etc has led to limited time in Gaggerland. Have been doing some Forum stalking as a Guest.

Mrs Jarse has cut me a bit of slack for RWC.

Chez Jarse in mourning, although claiming Irish nationality on Grand parental grounds is helping grieving process.

T

Toby Lerone

Last night Newcastle played Leceister and a penalty kick was kicked over the top of the upright. The ARs said it was no goal but referee J.P.Doyle, no doubt gun shy because of what happened at the RWC, called for the TMO just in case. The TMO had vision from in front of the posts and also one from behind. It was inconclusive so the decision of the ARs was upheld.

One of the AR's (Peter Huckle, who was level with the post that the ball flirted with) indicated straight away that he wanted to go upstairs for the decision, but he was just out of the camera shot when he pointed upwards (you can just about see it on the replay when the TMO was playing around with the video when making his decision).

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Thanks. I thought JP was a bit apologetic to the AR behind the RH upright when he asked for the TMO; so I assumed that the ARs had declined it without demur. In the end the decision contributed to an exciting finish. Good game.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
I think the laws need to be cleaned up before the we will see good consistent refereeing.
They did clean up the rules many many years ago, and fixed up the problems with rucks,mauls, lineouts and scums. That game is called Rugby League. Somehow however they still conspire to have rubbish referees. In Rugby Union we are stuck what we've got I'm afraid.

Aussie D

Bob Davidson (42)
Watching the game against Ireland on the weekend, does anyone else think the penalty awarded to Ireland for Genia / Kepu obstruction against POC should have gone the other way? Watching the game it appeared that POC had rushed out of the line before Genia had passed the ball from the ruck denying Genia the opportunity to pass to his flyhalf forcing him to have a snipe, hence he surely would have been offside.

J

Jay

Watching the game against Ireland on the weekend, does anyone else think the penalty awarded to Ireland for Genia / Kepu obstruction against POC should have gone the other way? Watching the game it appeared that POC had rushed out of the line before Genia had passed the ball from the ruck denying Genia the opportunity to pass to his flyhalf forcing him to have a snipe, hence he surely would have been offside.

What point was that on the clock?

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)

I saw it the same. POC was offside and not by a little bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.