• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Difference is Matfield's prop continued to support him unlike Alexander who let go and Samo plonked to earth.

By that stage of the game we should have been up be at least 10 or more.

Fuck I am still not over it. Fuck fuck fuck.

...It's almost as if it gets harder to accept each day that passes Blue. I don't know how many times in the last couple of days i have thought to myself, "how the f@#k did we lose that game?!"

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
...It's almost as if it gets harder to accept each day that passes Blue. I don't know how many times in the last couple of days i have thought to myself, "how the f@#k did we lose that game?!"
I still can't believe we won it, to be honest.

R

reebokkie

Nice thing about stills...

Yes, and following the actual VIDEO footage, rather than a still frame, he was brought to ground safely, not tipped up, not driven head first or anything else.
You get one more try to contribute anything rather than trying to stir shit until I declare you a troll.

2111133309-09102011064020.jpg

is I don't see who caught Danie there??

ya know mate?

Sluggy

Ward Prentice (10)

I know that feeling, I had it from 2007 until ... last weekend.

Now I can't even remember who missed the penalty at the end.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
I know that feeling, I had it from 2007 until ... last weekend.

Now I can't even remember who missed the penalty at the end.

I call BS. I still remember the feeling from when Mortlock missed it.

Could have been because I was sitting amongst a throng of Englishmen at that point though.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I call BS. I still remember the feeling from when Mortlock missed it.

Could have been because I was sitting amongst a throng of Englishmen at that point though.

I havent forget larkins drop goal in 1999. That was much worse then this loss. Pretty quick over it because I honestly felt the Bokke gave it their best shot. Back in 1999 I never felt we could have won that one.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I havent forget larkins drop goal in 1999. That was much worse then this loss. Pretty quick over it because I honestly felt the Bokke gave it their best shot. Back in 1999 I never felt we could have won that one.

I have them a better than even chance after full time, I felt the Bok then and now better able to get a couple of penalties or dropies to break a deadlock than the Walls. Were or are.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I still can't believe we won it, to be honest.

I still can't believe all this mystery-land incredulity.

Boks over 80 could not score one try.

Walls over 80, could.

Walls' defence superior. Boks attack lacked. Walls took their one opportunity for 5 points. Walls' multiple deficiencies could (just) survive behind a (just) better defensive wall.

Walls out-Boked the Boks. In that the Boks are truly famous for an outstanding defensive system.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I still can't believe all this mystery-land incredulity.

Boks over 80 could not score one try.

Walls over 80, could.

Walls' defence superior. Boks attack lacked. Walls took their one opportunity for 5 points. Walls' multiple deficiencies could (just) survive behind a (just) better defensive wall.

Walls out-Boked the Boks. In that the Boks are truly famous for an outstanding defensive system.

Indeed, truly bizarre to be surprised when your team manages to eke a win with so little possession and territory. I'd love to see stats on how many teams won a game where they were on the wrong side of such a ledger. Hardly mystery-land incredulity. More the norm, I would hazard a guess. Doesn't diminish the effort.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Indeed, truly bizarre to be surprised when your team manages to eke a win with so little possession and territory. I'd love to see stats on how many teams won a game where they were on the wrong side of such a ledger. Hardly mystery-land incredulity. More the norm, I would hazard a guess. Doesn't diminish the effort.

Yeah, but the point is that _that particular formulation of a 'conventional stats' ledger wasn't the one that really mattered_ in this game, on this day.

Wasn't that indirectly Bob Dwyer's recent point in one of his blog essays when he argued that conventional stats' packages (of the type we see on our screens at the end of every game) can be highly misleading or not even relevant to what has really taken place in a game in terms of how one successful team has, in their own special way, 'found a way to win'.

Chunderstruck

Alex Ross (28)
I read this a couple of days before the game, at the time I thought it was a pretty smart move (although I did vomit in my mouth a little bit):

Wallabies fine with referee

Ben Alexander says "Bryce is a great ref and he's a very consistent ref".

I wonder if this was tactical, and if it helped our scrum on the day?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)

I watched a replay of this game today. The ball handling from both sides was just horrible, even before it started pissing down rain. Bernie was really copping it from the boks that day, every opportunity they had to hurt him they did. Nothing really illegal, but its a credit to him that he kept getting back up and going.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
He may have been dreadful, but referees shouldn't be publicly criticising their own. Watson is out of line.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ru...South-Africa-and-Australia-quarter-final.html

Already vilified by many in the media and Springbok fans at large, the knife was further twisted by South African referees manager André Watson, himself formerly a Test referee, who said he was dumbfounded by the New Zealander’s performance in Wellington on Sunday.

South Africans have accused Lawrence of getting several key decision horribly wrong, and particularly of failing to rein in Wallaby openside flanker David Pocock from illegally spoiling the Springboks’ ball and flow.

Defending world champions South Africa went on to lose 11-9 despite dominating about 70 per cent of possession.

Watson told a Cape Town radio show on Tuesday: “His opening game [at the World Cup] was outstanding. I had no problem with his appointment.

“But [in the quarter-final] he allowed a free-for-all, giving Pocock a field day.

“It’s not what you would expect from a referee of his calibre – he didn’t referee the breakdown the way he was supposed to. He just didn’t step in.”

Despite the IRB saying that no public action would be taken against Lawrence, Watson believes the Kiwi will be hauled over the coals in some way.

“He will be punished, but that’s up to the IRB. I do not believe we will see him in any Rugby World Cup again,” Watson said.

Ironically, Australians accused him earlier in the tournament of making poor key decisions when the Wallabies crashed 15-6 to Ireland a pool game.

Afterwards, Lawrence admitted making mistakes against the Wallabies, especially regarding scrummaging, which accounted for six penalties at critical stages.

His contrition may have played some part in being awarded a quarter-final, but, having been overlooked for this weekend’s semi-finals, he is highly unlikely to feature at RWC 2011 again.

Lawrence also has some previous with British and Irish supporters, coming in for a wave of criticism regarding his handling of the first Test between the Lions and South Africa in Durban in June 2009, won 26-21 by the hosts.

Even if the IRB does not take public action, Lawrence will be in no doubt that he’s taken over the mantle of most-disliked referee from England’s Wayne Barnes, who received a pasting from New Zealanders after missing a French forward-pass at a key stage in the All Blacks’ quarter-final defeat in Cardiff at the 2007 World Cup.

A Facebook petition launched immediately after the South Africa-Australia match on Sunday, calling on the Kiwi to never again be given a match, had more than 55,000 members by Tuesday and was still growing at pace.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Never doubt the SAffers and Kiwis for going over the top when one of their teams get disadvantaged. I know we Tahs fans get carried away sometimes about Kaplan but 55,000 on a petition? That's hysteria.

The Kiwi commentators haven't even forgotten Barnes in 2007. TJ was very sarcastic about him during this RWC when he missed a few things.

We Aussies don't really appreciate their feelings for the game of rugby which they would call passion and we would probably call monomania. I guess the folks in Melbourne and other parts have the same 'passion' about Aussie Rules. I'm a rugby tragic but I wouldn't bother being party to a petition about an official.

Geez, Watson didn't miss did he? I always hoped that he would get POB's job at the IRB, but I doubt if he will now after that salvo.

Status
Not open for further replies.