• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2011 - Quarter final 3 : Springbokke v. Wallabies CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
We agree to disagree.

I agree that Lawrence is shit, don't you worry about that. I just don't agree that his decisions favoured the Wallabies. For everyone decision for the Wallabies I could easily find a decision for the Boks.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Well you certainly put enough ammunition before the game if it eventuated.

Yes he was crap to both sides at the breakdown but with 70% possession and the ball constantly slowed down it inhibited quick ball and therefore mostly against the Boks, simple he lost us the game. /rant

I wasn't wrong in what I said about him before the game, was I?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I agree that Lawrence is shit, don't you worry about that. I just don't agree that his decisions favoured the Wallabies. For everyone decision for the Wallabies I could easily find a decision for the Boks.

Agree he was shit both ways. However speaking hypothetically, if the referee seems to have chosen to ignore the breakdowns, pretty much making it a free for all, which team stands to benefit the most? The attacking team with the majority of possession, looking to recycle the ball through phases as quickly as possible or the defensive team trying to slow the ball down at all costs so that their defence can re-align?

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Looking back that game was one of the best games I have watched in rugby.

We won, but I don't think any of us kid ourselves it wasn't on a razor's edge.

The Boks tried a gameplan that could have worked. Both sides played huge games, both sides suffered serious errors due to pressure. Everyone talks about Burger, but for me Matfield was immense. In hindsight their plan failed, but it was damn close and I think many underestimated how effective our defence has been this year. Who's to say what would have happened with a different play by Boks closer to what we expected - Boks could have lost by 20 or won by 15.

History. Hats off to the Boks, that ugly as sin game was an incredible game that had us all on the edge of our seats.

It was an ugly as sin game, but that reflected the intense pressure between two very closely balanced sides.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Agree he was shit both ways. However speaking hypothetically, if the referee seems to have chosen to ignore the breakdowns, pretty much making it a free for all, which team stands to benefit the most? The attacking team with the majority of possession, looking to recycle the ball through phases as quickly as possible or the defensive team trying to slow the ball down at all costs so that their defence can re-align?

How do you know that him ignoring the breakdown helps the attacking team only? Don't forget there were plenty of times where it appeared that Pocock and legitimately won a turnover only to be ignored in favour of a Bok scrum feed.

The wallabies could have actually ended up with more ball.

And as an aside to that if the wallabies knew he was starting to favour the attacking team, do you think they would have kept kicking the ball away?

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
I wasn't wrong in what I said about him before the game, was I?

Not at all unfortunately! However which game had a bigger influence on both teams' chance of winning the World Cup? The Aus vs Ireland in the group stages? Or the SA vs AUS game in a knockout Quarter Final?

Without trying to say one terrible refereeing performance is worse than another, I think there would have been a far bigger fallout among wallaby fans and Australian media if the loss to Ireland, where terrible refereeing may have contributed (not caused) to the result, had resulted in the end of the Wallabies World Cup campaign.

...therefore the way everyone is blowing up in South Africa is somewhat understandable.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Not at all unfortunately! However which game had a bigger influence on both teams' chance of winning the World Cup? The Aus vs Ireland in the group stages? Or the SA vs AUS game in a knockout Quarter Final?

Without trying to say one terrible refereeing performance is worse than another, I think there would have been a far bigger fallout among wallaby fans and Australian media if the loss to Ireland, where terrible refereeing may have contributed (not caused) to the result, had resulted in the end of the Wallabies World Cup campaign.

...therefore the way everyone is blowing up in South Africa is somewhat understandable.

Lawrence didn't make Aus lose vs Ireland, however if Aus had won, then both SA and Aus might still be in the tournament! :)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)

Vok skotman you are mind boggling to be honest. Sound like the type complaining about complaining about complaining. Vokken hell. Do yourself a favour and take whistle and start reffing rugby. You'll make the perfect referee. Australia needs you.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
The Boks tried a gameplan that could have worked. Both sides played huge games, both sides suffered serious errors due to pressure. Everyone talks about Burger, but for me Matfield was immense. In hindsight their plan failed, but it was damn close and I think many underestimated how effective our defence has been this year. Who's to say what would have happened with a different play by Boks closer to what we expected - Boks could have lost by 20 or won by 15.

History. Hats off to the Boks, that ugly as sin game was an incredible game that had us all on the edge of our seats.

It was an ugly as sin game, but that reflected the intense pressure between two very closely balanced sides.

SA gameplan of the past have been critized by every dog and cat. Now you try to tell me they played the wrong one in this game. Confusing? The gameplan they played in this game is probably the biggest positive coming out of the loss. I dont hope this loss will make us chnage back to where we were before the WC, it will be a really sad day for Bok rugby.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
SA gameplan of the past have been critized by every dog and cat. Now you try to tell me they played the wrong one in this game. Confusing? The gameplan they played in this game is probably the biggest positive coming out of the loss. I dont hope this loss will make us chnage back to where we were before the WC, it will be a really sad day for Bok rugby.

I don't completely agree with you here Paarl. Perhaps it was a positive that the Boks played a more "ball in hand" style game. But why decide to change your style of play in the QF of a RWC? The last 3 years we've played the kick and chase style game, with box kicks, midfield bombs, always taking 3 points when they are on offer - be it through kicking for posts on any penalties within the opposition half or through drop goals at the slightest opportunity. So called "boring rugby" that we've become renowned for. Why change all of that for the most important game in the last 4 years? The timing seems ridiculous. And if we were going to play that game, why start with Morne Steyn at flyhalf?

P

potjiekos

Wouldn't it be interesting to have a TIMELINE of the match reflecting (1.) ALL penalisable infractions missed by Bryce Lawrence, (2.) transgressed by BOTH sides.

From the 'early engagement' call that he missed at the first scrum at 1min 19secs into the match that would have resulted in a Bok free kick on the halfway line, right up to the 80th minute.

...Now that would set the cat amongst the pigeons!? ....just wonder how the Burger / Pocock incident* would be categorised... Do you penalise Burger for excessive raking (note: I mentioned raking and NOT eye-gouging!) across the Pocock's face or do you penalise Pocock for 'holding on / not releasing the tackled player'.... Hhhmmmm??!! *thinking*

* Which one came first.... The chicken or the egg??

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Brisbok it change since the start of the WC when Rassie got on board.

Another reason why I hate the WC competition. Its the measurement of coach and players in the modern game. One month long competition devaluaing test rugby. Players and coaches careers were measured and failed, came short. Never thought or never think its worth it. I'd rather see our Bokke play the rugby for the next four years on the same way they did on sunday.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Brisbok it change since the start of the WC when Rassie got on board.

Another reason why I hate the WC competition. Its the measurement of coach and players in the modern game. One month long competition devaluaing test rugby. Players and coaches careers were measured and failed, came short. Never thought or never think its worth it. I'd rather see our Bokke play the rugby for the next four years on the same way they did on sunday.

Agree with you Paarl. Unfortunately for PdV and Co, they have failed miserably for 2 whole years in a row now. This was all supposed to be in preparation for the RWC. Now we have been knocked out in the QF...equal with our worst appearance at a world cup in the 'dark days' of the Rudolf Straeuli era!

...another point of interest, I wonder what changes in selection there would have been if Rassie had involvement in the selection process. We'll never know I guess. Or perhaps we may get some idea if he is involved in future...

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
To make us feel better.
index.php

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Vok skotman you are mind boggling to be honest. Sound like the type complaining about complaining about complaining. Vokken hell. Do yourself a favour and take whistle and start reffing rugby. You'll make the perfect referee. Australia needs you.

I was agreeing with blue and Andre Watson, who you have also agreed with, and yet it is me that is mind boggling?

Status
Not open for further replies.