• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2015 Final - Australia v New Zealand, Twickenham, Sunday 1 November, 3:00 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Mark Reason seems to think it'll still be Richie running the show on Sunday and sadly it's evidence based opinion. Seems Nigel has a massive mancrush on the Men in Black. We'll need to play the match of our lives to win.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/op...-referee-the-Rugby-World-Cup-final-or-will-he

Doesn't make great reading does it! All you can do in situations like these is to try and take the ref out of the game. The breakdown will be an absolutely immense battle and we're going to need to be very accurate and ruthless in the clean out especially, even if that means smashing McCaw a few times. I wouldn't mind us testing Nige's limits early though, in the right part of the paddock, because you can be sure the other mob will be doing the same.

My only concern is that blatant foul or illegal play isn't punished. We saw a bit of that from Barnes on the weekend, when Argentina infringed with (at times) impunity at the ruck and weren't pulled up on it. The example that Reason gave in his article of Conrad tackling blokes in the air actually stuck in my craw in the Eden Park game. He should have been binned for that and wasn't. I just hope the same doesn't happen again. We need to be squeaky clean and give him no reason to reach for the pocket, because that will kill the game as a contest.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Absolutely. Horses for courses. I don't think KB (Kurtley Beale)'s defence is strong enough to contain Nonu in that channel, but To'omua's is. Kurtley is best at fullback or, as he has proven (thus proving Bob Dwyer right), that he can play well in a roving commission on the wing.

Please play Beale at 12.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
1445934901198.jpg

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
How have Pocock's black eyes gone already? he looked like he had gone a few rounds in the boxing ring at the end of the Argentine game!

Now assuming that is an old picture...

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Super pumped right now as I was able to grab 2 tickets seated together for the final through the RWC official website. It took me 2 days of checking the site every hour to nab them. I was starting to panic as I booked our airfares and hotel two days ago and was fearing I was going to have to pay some astronomical price through a reseller. So my little guy and I are jetting out Thursday and are ready to REPRESENT !!!!

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
There are a lot of unsung heroes in this squad, some players and coaches and support staff. But there is one who has been scrutinized and who's ability to really stand up and direct our play has always been in question, most of the time unfairly.
How fucking good is Bernard Foley? Not just the goal kicking or directing the back line, or the passes to people in space. His defense has been unbelievable. He always seems to be in the right place at the right time to fearlessly drop whichever beast is storming towards the try line.
He has become a world class 5/8 and like many others has had a lot to do with our success so far in this RWC.
Hats off to BF.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
Super pumped right now as I was able to grab 2 tickets seated together for the final through the RWC official website. It took me 2 days of checking the site every hour to nab them. I was starting to panic as I booked our airfares and hotel two days ago and was fearing I was going to have to pay some astronomical price through a reseller. So my little guy and I are jetting out Thursday and are ready to REPRESENT !!!!
All can say is I love your determination and I jealous. I hope your son enjoys the experience.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
On the topic of referees and captains, has Moore been continuing with his rather belligerent approach to dealing with the referees this tournament?

EDIT: I see Reason alluded to this in his article. I think he's being a bit disingenuous as, IIRC, Moore came out of the blocks shouting and demanding concessions from Owens, who was having none of it and promptly dismissed him for most of the match.

If Moore has continued on like that throughout the tournament, then I think a change of tact might be in order, lest Australia end up in the same situation.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
To be fair to Moore, he has toned down his belligerent interaction with refs.

Fair enough. I haven't watched many Wallaby matches, hence why I asked. Will still be interesting to see what approach he takes, and how Owens reacts.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
To be fair to Moore, he has toned down his belligerent interaction with refs.

I think he's gone further than that: at one stage when we were penalised for pushing early he said som thing like "are you sure they took the hit" or "did they take the hit".
That type of open ended questioning with an implied alternative explanation for the apparent infringement was a mark of Eales' captaincy in dealing with refs and seems to placate them, presumably because it is less confrontational.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Mark Reason seems to think it'll still be Richie running the show on Sunday and sadly it's evidence based opinion. Seems Nigel has a massive mancrush on the Men in Black. We'll need to play the match of our lives to win.

http://i.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/op...-referee-the-Rugby-World-Cup-final-or-will-he

OMG, game over! An extract from the above article, "......And they (Walllabies) really, really lack it with Owens. Australia lost to Argentina when Owens was in charge and they couldn't score a point against the All Blacks in 2012. When playing outside Australia under Owens, the Wallabies have not won in six attempts. The Green and Gold website calculates that Australia scores an average of 10 fewer points than under other refs and concedes almost four more penalties than the opposition."

Who appoints the referee?
This needs to be spread around in social media, to allow for a fairer game.

The Snout

Ward Prentice (10)
I think he's gone further than that: at one stage when we were penalised for pushing early he said som thing like "are you sure they took the hit" or "did they take the hit".
That type of open ended questioning with an implied alternative explanation for the apparent infringement was a mark of Eales' captaincy in dealing with refs and seems to placate them, presumably because it is less confrontational.

Wouldn't be surprised if an Eales or Gregan or some former captain(s) has had some words and advice with Moore. He shouldn't and wouldn't be left to figure it all out on his own.

jollyswagman

Ron Walden (29)
Cheika should appoint Pocock as a stand-in Skipper. Moore can keep making the big calls but Poey can deal with Owens on field. Surely Poey's support for marriage equality and outspoken position on homophobia would earn some brownie points in Owens' mind.....or is that bad form on my behalf to even suggest it?

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
These days it's considered poor form to suggest anything.

Ot: probably be a bit of a bruiser game. I just can't gauge the teams ATM. Are the wallabies war weary? Are the all blacks cruising? Should be intriguing.

Really hope wallabies give it all and win.

This week is already hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.