• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC 2023 - All Blacks pool matches

How far will AB progress?

• A. Won't make it out of the Pool

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • B. Beaten in QF

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • C. Beaten in SF

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • D. Beaten in Final

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • E. ALL THE WAY, BABY!

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
Roigard is good. Great even. Bigly hugely great. Who knows wtf McKenzie will do though.

Hopefully Beauden sticks to kicking from the backfield - like the first half against France - and doesn't try to unleash his popgun kicks from the frontline - like the second half against France.

Honestly, would've preferred Fainga'anuku over ALB. You can yammer on about experience, but ALB hasn't been able to consistently perform at test level for years now, and neither of them can even hope to match Jordie's long kicks. That being the case, if Jordie went down, then would prefer to have a great big intense crazy mf to carry the ball forward from IC. Doubly so if you also have McKenzie running every which way across four dimensions of nonsense.

Would've also thought Newell would be kicking around too.

Taylor and Coles ffs.

zer0

Jim Lenehan (48)
As I understand it, Italy play more of a fast-and-loose style which I doubt will be as effective against the ABs as they'd hope. And, as much as they ran France close in the 6N, they also imploded against Wales, which suggests they lack consistency and some belief. They have gone for a 6-2 bench. That seems to have been expected though.

Regardless of how Italy play, discipline would have to be a major focus given the last few matches. If they can keep the count low then everything should be under control. A red card would not be very cash money.

Linerunner2023

Fred Wood (13)
Best side to date with retalick, frizell, cane and Barrett back! The loss of grunt of frizell hurt v France
Best back line yet, glad roigard and McKenzie are on the bench this time round
Would have liked to see Blackadder

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I kind of think that.
Other one who I could see changing is Papali'i, and if Blackadder had a few games under belt would of started him at 7 if they want to ease Cane back in. I just not completely in raptures over his game, I not even sure I think he's Blues best option at 7. He plays well, but a little passive for my taste.
As a Blues fan I want Papali'i to be awesome but he just seems pretty anonymous in his Tests. I feel like he plays really conservative, almost like he doesn't want to make a mistake.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Roigard is good. Great even. Bigly hugely great. Who knows wtf McKenzie will do though.

Hopefully Beauden sticks to kicking from the backfield - like the first half against France - and doesn't try to unleash his popgun kicks from the frontline - like the second half against France.

Honestly, would've preferred Fainga'anuku over ALB. You can yammer on about experience, but ALB hasn't been able to consistently perform at test level for years now, and neither of them can even hope to match Jordie's long kicks. That being the case, if Jordie went down, then would prefer to have a great big intense crazy mf to carry the ball forward from IC. Doubly so if you also have McKenzie running every which way across four dimensions of nonsense.

Would've also thought Newell would be kicking around too.

Taylor and Coles ffs.
I have been completely underwhelmed by Newell at Test level so far. But I don't know how Nepo keeps getting selected...

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Italy: Tommaso Allan; Ange Capuozzo, Juan Ignacio Brex, Luca Morisi, Montanna Ioane; Paolo Garbisi, Stephen Varney; Lorenzo Cannone, Michele Lamaro (capt), Sebastian Negri, Federico Ruzza, Dino Lamb, Marco Riccioni, Giacomo Nicotera, Danilo Fischetti. Reserves: Hame Faiva, Ivan Nemer, Simone Ferrari, Niccolo Cannone, Manuel Zuliani, Toa Halafihi, Martin Page-Relo, Paolo Odogwu

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
RMo finished training with a big-arse bandage on his right thigh & was limping big-time as he went up the stairs
thatsashame.gif

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Injured players back, SamW benched & DMac promoted to bench:

All Blacks: Beauden Barrett, Will Jordan, Rieko Ioane, Jordie Barrett, Mark Telea, Richie Mo’unga, Aaron Smith; Ardie Savea (capt), Dalton Papalii, Shannon Frizell, Scott Barrett, Brodie Retallick, Nepo Laulala, Codie Taylor, Ofa Tuungafasi. Reserves: Dane Coles, Tamaiti Williams, Tyrel Lomax, Sam Whitelock, Sam Cane, Cam Roigard, Damian McKenzie, Anton Lienert-Brown.
More or less the best you guys can do in the forwads I think (although big question marks over Laulala). But damn I don't understand how you can keep Roigard and Leicester out of the starting side. Just put Will Jordan where he belongs and Put Leicester on the wing. BB doesn't bring enough to justify keeping that talent on the bench/squad.

I reckon Foster's back three choices have been some of his worst over his tenure. Remember when he was running Jordie Barret at 14? Ugh. Dude's driving a Ferrari without knowing how to change gears.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
RMo finished training with a big-arse bandage on his right thigh & was limping big-time as he went up the stairs :(
That is hardly terrible. Few teams have your kind of backup. Against Italy this won't be an issue at all.

I expect the Italians to get well and properly stuffed. Frizell and Retalic back is absolutely massive. Changes to complexion of the pack completely. Also starting Codie is way better.

Everyone's carrying on about Ireland. I predict an AB QF win against them. It's payback time for last year. This is still a heck of a good AB side.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
As a Blues fan I want Papali'i to be awesome but he just seems pretty anonymous in his Tests. I feel like he plays really conservative, almost like he doesn't want to make a mistake.
Boy BR ,I think you may of hit my exact problem with Papali'i. He's not bad, just doesn't seem to dominate as I would like or something.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
That is hardly terrible. Few teams have your kind of backup. Against Italy this won't be an issue at all.

I expect the Italians to get well and properly stuffed. Frizell and Retalic back is absolutely massive. Changes to complexion of the pack completely. Also starting Codie is way better.

Everyone's carrying on about Ireland. I predict an AB QF win against them. It's payback time for last year. This is still a heck of a good AB side.
Yes, but they have the ultimate handbrake in Ian Foster

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)

As much as I would like to subscribe to your newsletter I just cannot.

If this Italy could tip over the Wobs last year then surely they can tip over this NZ.

The AB front row ffs. Ofa and Nepo are utterly braindead penalty magnates. Codie Taylor, shorn of Razor and his Rolls Royce rolling maul at frozen tinpot Lancaster Park seems to actually shrivel up inside his own brain when he puts on a black jersey. Retallicka has totally done his dash, no one knows which Dickshit Frizzle will turn up and the #8 is a five foot 11 and three quarters speedbump on defence.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
If this Italy could tip over the Wobs last year then surely they can tip over this NZ.

To be fair, the Wobs Rennie put out that day was according to many on here the weakest-ever & grounds alone for him to be trebucheted into the sun...

AB will rack up a BP by 3/4 time IMO.