• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v ENG (Twickenham): POOL A; 6am (AEDT) Sunday 4 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
CQa6KIqUcAA6Ixv.jpg

All England jerk off competition?

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
In 2003 our phone rang for the next 8 hours with my English wife's family and friends calling to enquire if I had happened to catch the game. Phone so very quiet today.

You should call each one of them and say, "Hey I've got a missed call from you!"

Then when they answer in a confused manner say, "Sorry I meant we stuffed you in the Rugby. I always get those two confused."

Then anytime you're around them in the future and the phrase "missed call" comes up naturally in a conversation you can just give a knowing smile.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Tonight though Australia ruthlessly exposed those weak parts which had been concealed by a team effort by everyone including the media:

The back row is nowhere near the class required at the highest level.
The front row when forced to scrummage straight is vulnerable.
Numbers 10, 12 and 13 are not a unit, and Farrell and Barritt are very limited.
Ford should have started and Burgess should not be playing centre at this level, even as a replacement.
Brown is flaky under pressure as well as being exposed as a complete twat.

Apart from that it's a good team. I don't think it's a question of time as Wilkinson said. They need some better players.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Poite spent the game on marlers side.
We are getting through!

Just watching the replay this isnt right. His positioning at the scrum was fairly standard all game, in fact the first Australian penalty in the 1st half was called by the touchie which caused Poite to do a little pirouette in his signal as he automatically went to award it to England.

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Suck it, Brian Moore.

Really enjoyed that game, despite some Phipps-induced jitters. Now it's their turn to dread Aus/Eng scrums! Hooper could well be cited though, that 'clearout' looked positively South African.

Foley, bravo! I'm sorry I doubted. Hopefully it wasn't just a one-off sparked by everyone writing him off all week.

It really seems like England had bet everything on having a dominant scrum and a superior kicker. The irony that Poite, their ace in the pocket, turned out to be the worst ref they could've played under is delicious.

The Uruaguay vs England match will be so packed with schadenfreude that it may well collapse upon itself and become a black hole.

mxyzptlk

Colin Windon (37)
Serious question for all y'all from down under:

We* hear a lot about how rugby is a fourth sport at best in Australia, and what it would me for rugby in both the country and the region if the Wallabies do well. What kind of effect could a win like this have on rugby in Australia? How many wins like this would it take to get the ARU out of the red and make the sport more popular? And do these wins only matter if they come against England, New Zealand, and the Springboks?

* (We as in those of us from outside of Australia who peek in on the Aussie sports scene.)

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Who picked the MoTM? ITV who cover sports once in a blue moon and will forget that Rugby exists as soon as the final is over?

Status
Not open for further replies.