• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: AUS v ENG (Twickenham): POOL A; 6am (AEDT) Sunday 4 October

Status
Not open for further replies.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Serious question for all y'all from down under:

We* hear a lot about how rugby is a fourth sport at best in Australia, and what it would me for rugby in both the country and the region if the Wallabies do well. What kind of effect could a win like this have on rugby in Australia? How many wins like this would it take to get the ARU out of the red and make the sport more popular? And do these wins only matter if they come against England, New Zealand, and the Springboks?

* (We as in those of us from outside of Australia who peek in on the Aussie sports scene.)
hosting th RWC had a bigger impact on the game than winning it IMO.
Games are telecast on a secondary free to sir tv station in the middle of the night.
It's for rusted on viewers only.
I thinking winning a Bled would have more impact the RWC.
As its in the right time zone,and ARU can sell more tickets & merchandise & there is a lot of untapped corporate/sponsorship in our market,if we could win a bled.
IMO

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
Remember all those kiwis who smugly told us that jackling doesn't have any place in the modern game, that Pocock would need to change his game if he ever got back to form?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)

We* hear a lot about how rugby is a fourth sport at best in Australia, and what it would me for rugby in both the country and the region if the Wallabies do well. What kind of effect could a win like this have on rugby in Australia? How many wins like this would it take to get the ARU out of the red and make the sport more popular? And do these wins only matter if they come against England, New Zealand, and the Springboks?

* (We as in those of us from outside of Australia who peek in on the Aussie sports scene.)

More than a winning team, Aussies need a story they really identify with. The Wobs have massive support but the narrative has not struck with the public since that great team of the late 90's and early 2000's retired. The other codes also have massive support, people support multiple codes, it is expensive for families to go to games so they spend their money where they are most satisfied.

Just need to to look at the Reds under Link to see how much untapped support their is in rugby when the teams are shit and losing and not presenting a narrative the public buys into.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Best things about ITV are Ben Kay and Johnny Wilkinson. Both excellent. rest are dickheads. They'll be fuming about how much they paid for RWC. Apparently last two games have copped 50% of the viewing in UK. How many are gonna tune in next week.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
More than a winning team, Aussies need a story they really identify with. The Wobs have massive support but the narrative has not struck with the public since that great team of the late 90's and early 2000's retired. The other codes also have massive support, people support multiple codes, it is expensive for families to go to games so they spend their money where they are most satisfied.

Just need to to look at the Reds under Link to see how much untapped support their is in rugby when the teams are shit and losing and not presenting a narrative the public buys into.

You're making rugby sound like a washing powder. Doesn't work

No4918

John Hipwell (52)

A much needed boost to the ARU coffers. Game is running on the petty change tin and that is looking bare.

More generally, there will be some good publicity which will all be forgotten in a few days. Super Rugby probably won't change much. The inbound England tests and Rugby Championship should see more interest and how long the effects will last depend on results in those 2 series. Do poorly and the chance to grow fans will largely be lost.

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
CQbIGWYUwAAdY8V.png

You fucking what!?

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
God I enjoyed that, could only have been better if I had the Pom Comms for the last say 15 min............

How did Pocock not get MOTM? Or maybe they marked him down for having no visible opposition? England's breakdown work was eerily like Sethfricka's in "That" QF & with a similar outcome.

Did I mention how much I enjoyed that? :) :) :)

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Can imagine what English are feeling having been in the situation Western Samoa (1991), Ireland (1995, in the shitiest game of rugby ever played) and then Fiji (2007).

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
wake up early, watch the game, then a few replays of t'other games, then the replay of this game again.

what? I died and gone to heaven?

Am I the only one who ended up feeling our defense held thru luck more often than not? On any other day the result could have been very different indeed I reckon.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
hosting th RWC had a bigger impact on the game than winning it IMO.
Games are telecast on a secondary free to sir tv station in the middle of the night.
It's for rusted on viewers only.
I thinking winning a Bled would have more impact the RWC.
As its in the right time zone,and ARU can sell more tickets & merchandise & there is a lot of untapped corporate/sponsorship in our market,if we could win a bled.
IMO

Not wishing to have a go on a special day but how much chance is there of you beating NZ in 2/3 games in a calendar year?.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I'm 4 days in with this f**king nasty flu that most people I know who've had it have taken about a month to recover from. But after seeing England knocked out in the pool stages I think my recovery time has been reduced by about 3 weeks.

Definitely watching a few repeats of this game. Its good medicine.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
You're making rugby sound like a washing powder. Doesn't work

Yeah probably, but much of the current situation is self inflicted, the coach selection, some players attitudes etc have taken oxygen from what the Wobs have tried to be about in the last 5 years or so.

The money comes from people and sponsors outside of us core fans spending, the more interest the more sponsorship, build a product so good and it may even make back onto free to air more often. It all starts with presenting a culture and a story we want to buy into.

To his credit Cheiks has really had a positive impact on the culture.

Status
Not open for further replies.