• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Oct 15 2023 1/8 Final Ire vs NZ.

Ire vs NZ

• Go Ireland

Votes: 23 60.5%
  • Go NZ

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Go the TMO

Votes: 2 5.3%
  • Go f**** yourself

Votes: 7 18.4%
  • Go home, RWC finished last week

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • this pole started nicely enough then took on a bit of a negative turn

Votes: 10 26.3%

• Total voters

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I know it only QFs and have sttled down a bit. I will still say one of those classic test matches that will live in my mind regardless of how rest ot comp goes.
Was particularly pleased with the Ardie/Cane partnership in loosie, regardless of how some form up north think, Cane has the game for test rugby, and look how he competes and offers protection/support to other jackalers in team. As @molman rightfully pointed out, Jordie Barrett was also huge, and hope his work is not overlooked by people.
I suspect we got the makings of a f***en good front row with young props we had out there today, and a few young hookers coming through. Very very content and I still say it's just one game, and semi next week! Now to look forward to tomorrows QF especially FranceSA which I will be able to enjoy a lot more relaxed than I was this morning!

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
Now to look forward to tomorrows QF especially FranceSA which I will be able to enjoy a lot more relaxed than I was this morning!

Agree (re: France / SA - hopefully also a cracker). Just wish it was the earlier game so I didn't have to rush off to work towards the last quarter. Hopefully Fiji get up over England :)

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Agree (re: France / SA - hopefully also a cracker). Just wish it was the earlier game so I didn't have to rush off to work towards the last quarter. Hopefully Fiji get up over England :)
Well ,I will just let boss know I'm going to be late.
Oh that's right I am retired and don't work anymore, so guess I will just do whatever! ;) :p

Actually laughed last week, was down at Grandson's place in in NZ army, ABs play at 8am, no worries army starts at 10am, so DO NOT ATTCK NZ WHILE THERE A TEST ON!!!

Also wife who does a gym thing on Sat mornings, but no instructor on Sat when ABs play even if she wanted to go!!

KiwiM

Nev Cottrell (35)
I don't know what to say

That's the ABs best performance since at least Lions 2017 Test 1 and probably since McCaw and Carter.

I didn't think they had that level of play in them.

Ardie and Cane with their best ever tests.

A World Cup classic.

Who said knockout rugby was dour? That was test rugby at it's absolute best.

Ireland - they did a lot of good things unfortunately they ran into a team playing at their absolute best and were never able to get their noses in front. They aren't a team built to chase and never really were able to play the game on their terms given the scoreboard pressure.

Ireland essentially got ambushed similar to the way the ABs did in the 2003 semi final.

Those last 5 minutes was pure World Cup drama.

What a game.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Best game of rugby ever. I have teenage kids texting me the same thing, that can only be good for the sport. Now onto my punting club mates…..

It’s interesting that no one has commented on the amount of easy shots at goal that Ireland passed up on. Not that I dispute them, I think they actually pulled 14 points that way. However I am curious as to the strategy behind it, rule #1 in the knockout stages is take the points. Is it that they thought the only way to beat NZ was to go in multiples of 7? Just wondering some thoughts on the subject.

I maintain my stance as a France supporter for now, but should they get knocked out tomorrow morning I shall wholeheartedly get behind our pacific neighbors.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I got up this morning to watch a replay and my bloody son blurted out the result. His eviction papers are being drawn up as we speak.

That aside, what a fantastic game of rugby union. It had everything and the last few minutes with Ireland smashing against the Kiwis and the All Blacks standing firm was epic. As a neutral I thoroughly enjoyed that. The Irish were far, far from disgraced, but the AB's were just that little bit better.

I've got this sinking feeling that they're going to go all the way to the final and burgle the title.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
It all turned on Sexton's missed goal attempt. It meant that the Paddies had to score a try. That said, any team that can win after conceding two harmless YCs has got what it takes.

One of the great games.

Linerunner2023

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Ireland did leave opportunity to take the points a few times
NZ forward pack stood up and their backrow outcompeted Ireland
Had to think of ABs could get their forward pack back to the rugby champs level they would be hard to beat
Richie and beudie and genius as well
with NZ have so many players finishing up in the jersey they will be hard to beat now

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Congratulations ABs, an all time performance. My head said I wanted an Ireland win for the narrative and as a just reward but as the game went on I found myself cheering for our antipodean neighbours. Such an impressive group of players. Felt like they barely touched their bench though?

ABs won that with their ruck work, Ireland conceded 11 turnovers compared to NZ's 3!

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
ABs played a very good game, but Ireland were clearly not 100% in the top 2 inches from very early in proceedings.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
ABs played a very good game, but Ireland were clearly not 100% in the top 2 inches from very early in proceedings.
Interesting observation. It looked to me as though both side were at a peak, although Ireland tailed off a bit in the last quarter of the game. Especially Aki, he seemed to run out of gas, or something.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Interesting observation. It looked to me as though both side were at a peak, although Ireland tailed off a bit in the last quarter of the game. Especially Aki, he seemed to run out of gas, or something.
Just a few little mistakes early on.

Doris dropped a ball under no pressure from the defence.
A high kick went up and no Irishman contested it.
The lineout under pressure but also not under pressure.
Sexton missing a penalty from bang in front.

There were plenty of moments where opposition pressure generated errors.
But these were out of character from Ireland.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
It’s interesting that no one has commented on the amount of easy shots at goal that Ireland passed up on. Not that I dispute them, I think they actually pulled 14 points that way. However I am curious as to the strategy behind it, rule #1 in the knockout stages is take the points. Is it that they thought the only way to beat NZ was to go in multiples of 7? Just wondering some thoughts on the subject.

I think it's just about expected value. They'll typically take the gimme shots at goal, because the expected value is pretty close to 3. But if it's wider and it's say a kick you might expect to make 50-60% of the time, then the expected value is only 1.5-1.8. If they kick for touch they must believe the expected value of scoring a try, or drawing another penalty in an easier position is higher.

The other factor is just building pressure. If you go for the try and turn the ball over you'll often still get another chance with the ball in the opposition half after their exit. The weight of that possession and territory throughout a game counts for something as well. Ireland probably score from that maul that got held up 8 times out of 10 given the momentum they had going towards the line. And then they had the knock on from the following drop out. I don't think their decisions about when to kick for goal or not were necessarily wrong, they just couldn't take one of their last couple of chances.

Yoda

Ted Thorn (20)
NZ got the win through the Forwards. Front row stepped up and NZ won the backrow battle.

Smart Irish fans had their flights already booked for tomorrow.

All the 50-50s went the Irish way, 2 yellows against NZ.

Porter needs to worry about playing footy rather than whinging.

Ireland looked most likely through Aki & Ringrose but they didn’t get them enough 1v1 opportunities. Part of me loves seeing Sexton not get it.
Why would you love seeing Sexton not get it? He is a legend.