• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool C - Australia v Wales - 5AM 25 Sep AEST

Moneyinc

Bob McCowan (2)

Need a BP win, and Wales can't come away with anything

1 - Bell
2 - Porecki
3 - Pone
4 - Frost
5 - Phillip
6 - Hooper
7 - Gleeson
8 - Valentini
9 - McDermott
10 - Donaldson
11- Korobiete
12 - Kerevi
13 - Perese
14 - Mark
15 - Kellaway

16 - Faesslar
17 - Slipper
18 - Nonggorr
19 - Arnold
20 - Leota
21 - Fines
22 - Gordon
23 - Petaia
If we won with a BP, and they get a BP, it would just mean we go down to the last day, where we would have to beat Portugal by a lot more than Wales beat Georgia by (Somewhat possible?)

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Can we stop with all of This constant negativity, I wonder why rugby is in the state it is in this country when we have 'supporters' like this that hate their team and have no faith.

Just fuck off if you don't have anything positive to say
The fact you think we react this way to being let down yet again is because we “hate our team” shows you clearly have no idea about what it means to have an emotional investment as a fan

Go wave your Pom poms somewhere else

NoName

Herbert Moran (7)
Can we stop with all of This constant negativity, I wonder why rugby is in the state it is in this country when we have 'supporters' like this that hate their team and have no faith.

hahahah - my negativity has had zero impact on the game of rugby in this country my friend.

Just pop into 231 Butterfield St, Herston QLD 4006 or the Cnr Moore Park Rd and Driver Ave, Moore Park NSW 2021 and have a word with the morons inside if you want to see why this game will be dead in australia before 2030.

TBH, I've invested tens of thousands throughout my fandom in air fares, matches, travel packages, merch etc etc and to be told by the coach "bwhahaha you came to melbourne to watch us lose and we never really meant to win anyway coz we were building up to the world cup so you wasted your money" is really something I am pretty bitter about. Eddie just doubled down again in the post m atch presser after fiji as well - "it's all really about 2027 maaaaate" He passing over the resulst in 2025 already?

Overtime

Herbert Moran (7)

Why can't we just all be friends?

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The problem with this site it's way too over-reactionary. We destroyed Georgia, mainly because we have IMO 2 of the best players in the world, at least tight 5 players. I tried telling everyone this but apparently people believe in James Slipper at TH and whilst Frost was excellent, he's a completely different player to Skelton in terms of skillset.

We were never going to win this and we aren't going to beat Wales either but when we have Skelton and Tupou fit... we can compete with the best.

The problem has been the complete fucking appalling management of the replacements. Why the fuck is Schoupp here instead of Gibbon or Sio? You cannot possibly tell me he puts us in a better chance to win than the others? He got destroyed in the last scrum. Would Sio have?

Why are we picking Pone and Tupou in the same squad when they're both so injury prone? We need a balance. HJH (Harry Johnson-Holmes) would've done a better job, or at least Zane should've gotten more minutes in the previous matches.

Why can't we replace Skelton? Well this goes deeper, we should've had Meafou playing for us but we need the biggest like for like replacement to go behind our TH in the scrum. Neville? Why didn't we call-up Tom Staniforth? He's of the best TH locks in France. Massive scrummager and huge ruck shifter. I've defended him but Richie Arnold has been a failure.

How many fucking times do we need to get exposed by having a midget 7 at Test level the last 2 years it's going to sink in the game's moved on? I don't know if Gleeson is the answer but could we at least test it out? Kemeny? When's the last time we won a breakdown battle like Fiji did today albeit helped immensely by Brace.

And don't get me fucking started on the Gordon Carter disaster - gee who could've see this coming. It's like I almost predicted it to a tee except it wasn't supposed to happen against Fiji and now for all of Eddie's chat about backing the young gun he's fucking destroyed him.

Eddie's lost the plot but we all knew this.

Last edited:

Rebel man

Jim Lenehan (48)
For guys who think Donaldson should replace Gordon and given that the Wallabies now need to be thinking of attacking and going for BPs and perhaps points differential....is Donaldson a better attacking player than Gordon?

To me, White is more of a problem than Gordon. I was cringing as White get subbed today, watching him stop and seemingly give players advice. I wondered if there wasn't a small part of IFL just nodding his head and ignoring every word. If I was a Wallaby supporter, the last thing I would want is the replacement 9 coming on and playing like White.
White has to go

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Yeah, the reality is that any game plan has to ensure that we score 4 tries, Wales score less than 4 and don’t finish within 7 points of us.
i do like that we're now contemplating a game plan that ensures we put 4 tries on a tier one oppo and also win by at least 8 after we just spent 80mins kicking the ball dead 30m from the oppo try line against Fiji

i think they need to make sure they win - whatever that looks like - and hope Georgia can keep the welsh to 4 points rather than 5, and we can score 5 against Portugal. that way the Wobs advance on the head to head with wales (i think) since we will both be on 15.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Tie breakers if on equal points
  1. The winner of the Match in which the two tied Teams have played each other shall be the higher ranked.
  2. The Team which has the best difference between points scored for and points scored against in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
  3. The Team which has the best difference between tries scored for and tries scored against in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
  4. The Team which has scored most points in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
  5. The Team which has scored most tries in all its pool Matches shall be the higher ranked.
  6. Should the tie be unresolved at the conclusion of steps 1 through 5, the rankings as per the updated. Official World Rugby World Rankings on October 14, 2019 will determine the higher ranked Team.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
how does 3 teams being on equal points work? we could (hopefully) have that with W def F, F def A, A def W

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
how does 3 teams being on equal points work? we could (hopefully) have that with W def F, F def A, A def W

(this is from 2019 as there doesn't seem to be an easily accessible 2023 version)

" ... in the case of a tie between three or more Teams at the end of the pool phase, once the highest ranked Team has been determined following the above criteria, to determine the next higher ranked Team the process would repeat, starting at criterion 1."

The "above criteria" are essentially as per Pfitzy's post.

For and against points difference (i.e. criterion 2) will end up being the likely tie-breaker in most 3-way cases.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, my impression of the game was that Donaldson didn't take any of the high balls, at least none of the contestable ones. The game plan seemed to have Gordon, Petaia and Koroibete (of all players) back for the high balls. It simply looked to me that it was intentional to keep BD away from any high kicks.

He was back there plenty. On the play where Fiji scored he was playing deep on the other side of the field. Carter Gordon was playing deep on the side where the kick went.

Nawaqanitawase was up in the line after chasing the previous box kick.

On a quick review there weren't a lot of high kicks from Fiji. There's one in the 22nd minute after we kicked off following a Fiji penalty goal. Koroibete chases the kick, Gordon is back deep on the left edge, Donaldson deep in the middle and Nawaqanitawase deep-ish on the far side. There's a box kick close to the touch line that Gordon catches but then gets bundled into touch.

After that I'm not sure there's another one before the try and Gordon getting replaced.