• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool C - Australia v Wales - 5AM 25 Sep AEST

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Arnold didn't actually touch the ball imo. Now he definitely interferred with the player who was touching the ball but I'm not sure it was deliberate. It was an entangement. Play on.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
So thinking about this game, we need to at least level up with Wales, so we must win and deny them a bonus point, or at least get one ourselves in the process. Wales will be playing boring test match rugby and happy to win by a point, so I’m thinking we are going to pick a team that’s designed to run them around and score points. We don’t want to mess with our lineout, it’s been our one area of strength. Goal kicking is not a priority in this game, we need tries.

1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. Fa’amausili
4. Frost
5. Philip
6. Hooper
7. Gleeson
8. Valetini
9. Mcdermott
10. Gordon
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Kellaway
14. Vunivalu
15. Marky

Last edited:

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
So thinking about this game, we need to at least level up with Wales, so we must win and deny them a bonus point, or at least get one ourselves in the process. Wales will be playing boring test match rugby and happy to win by a point, so I’m thinking we are going to pick a team that’s designed to run them around and score points. We don’t want to mess with our lineout, it’s been our one area of strength. Goal kicking is not a priority in this game, we need tries.

1. Bell
2. Porecki
3. Faumasili
4. Frost
5. Philip
6. Hooper
7. Gleeson
8. Valetini
9. Mcdermott
10. Gordon
11. Koroibete
12. Kerevi
13. Kellaway
14. Vunivalu
15. Marky
Like it, but rather Donaldson at 15, Mark at 14 and Suli to 23

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
Quite funny so many people thinking Andrew Kellaway being brought into the team suddenly changes our fortunes.

Without Skelton and TT, our forwards are going to struggle to lay a good foundation. We could bring back prime AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Mortlock to play 13 this week but I simply don't think our forwards have the chops to give us enough good ball to make anything happen.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
He’s on the wrong side of the tackle and he’s playing the ball.

My take on this is that the ball had come loose in the tackle while they were still off the ground such that the Fijian player was no longer in possession. Essentially Arnold and the Fijian player were fighting for control of the ball when they went to ground and Arnold placed it as he is entitled to do.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Quite funny so many people thinking Andrew Kellaway being brought into the team suddenly changes our fortunes.

Without Skelton and TT, our forwards are going to struggle to lay a good foundation. We could bring back prime AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (Adam Ashley-Cooper) or Mortlock to play 13 this week but I simply don't think our forwards have the chops to give us enough good ball to make anything happen.
You are right but there isn’t much we can do with the current available personnel to correct that, is there? Except to try Gleeson over McReight. All we can really do is try to fire up our backline attack with as much ball as we are able to secure, and use our set piece as much as possible.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
My take on this is that the ball had come loose in the tackle while they were still off the ground such that the Fijian player was no longer in possession. Essentially Arnold and the Fijian player were fighting for control of the ball when they went to ground and Arnold placed it as he is entitled to do.
That was my take, and given no penalty, the ref's take as well

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
Sounds like Pone will come back in to the team, which is a big in for the physicality of the team. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him start with Slipper on the bench. Nonggorr is very young and hopefully will get better but at the moment seems a mile away from the required standard.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Sounds like Pone will come back in to the team, which is a big in for the physicality of the team. Wouldn’t surprise me to see him start with Slipper on the bench. Nonggorr is very young and hopefully will get better but at the moment seems a mile away from the required standard.

I mean you have to run one of Schoupp or Nongorr off the bench. May be a bit of a Sophie's choice.

griffins

Bill Watson (15)
You are right but there isn’t much we can do with the current available personnel to correct that, is there? Except to try Gleeson over McReight. All we can really do is try to fire up our backline attack with as much ball as we are able to secure, and use our set piece as much as possible.

I agree about firing up the backline attack but I wouldn't get my hopes up. Eddie has come in with a pre-conceived notion that our players are too dumb to play with any detail, said openly that he's sick of us copying NZ teams, and decided that the best way forward is to instead 're-establish Australia's rugby identity' (which translates to 'copy how South Africa were playing 2 years ago'). It is demoralising to watch.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The Fijian player is in control. He has both his hands firmly on the ball and I think he tries to pop the ball up. Arnold’s forearm is on the ball and he is trying to play the ball from the ground and on the wrong side of the tackle. He never tries to place the ball, his arm goes in an upward direction because he is interfering with the Fijian trying to pop the ball up and all the contact is with his forearm.

Fair play to him as well. Rugby is a game where you sometimes make these 50/50 decisions in the hope that it goes your way. Arnold does it again later in the game where he takes out the halfback at a breakdown and gets penalised for it. I think he thought the ball was coming out and he gets it wrong. It was always going to be borderline but sometimes you walk that line and get away with it.

I’m just illustrating that this notion of Fiji getting all the 50/50 calls going their way is bollocks.

IMG_4485.jpeg

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Fijian player is in control. He has both his hands firmly on the ball and I think he tries to pop the ball up. Arnold’s forearm is on the ball and he is trying to play the ball from the ground and on the wrong side of the tackle. He never tries to place the ball, his arm goes in an upward direction because he is interfering with the Fijian trying to pop the ball up and all the contact is with his forearm.

View attachment 17540

I disagree. A frame later the Fijian player's hands come off the ball. He isn't the one in control of it.

The referee is right there.

I do think this is a somewhat 50/50 call. I agree with the way the referee ruled it but I also know that Arnold would get penalised for the same thing sometimes. So on your point that Fiji got all the refereeing decisions there way I agree with you, they didn't It was possible that decisions went even more in their favour through the match.

Wallaby Man

Trevor Allan (34)
I disagree. A frame later the Fijian player's hands come off the ball. He isn't the one in control of it.

I do think this is a somewhat 50/50 call. I agree with the way the referee ruled it but I also know that Arnold would get penalised for the same thing sometimes. So on your point that Fiji got all the refereeing decisions their way I agree with you, they didn't It was possible that decisions went even more in their favour through the match.
Fiji clearly the better team all game, I do think Australia were slightly on the receiving end of some refereeing backlash towards Fiji from their previous game against Wales, where they were completely dudded.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)

I do think this is a somewhat 50/50 call. I agree with the way the referee ruled it but I also know that Arnold would get penalised for the same thing sometimes. So on your point that Fiji got all the refereeing decisions there way I agree with you, they didn't It was possible that decisions went even more in their favour through the match.
This the frame later. The Fijian still has his hands on the ball. If he is trying to pop it up, which is my opinion, of course his hands will come off the ball. Arnold is never in control of the ball - it’s his forearm which is playing at the ball.

“The referee is right there”. Again, he was also right there when White was allegedly pushed off the ball for Fiji’s try and for the apparent swinging arm.

Yes. I do agree that teams which appear more dominant, particularly in the contact areas, often get the ‘rub of the green’ so to speak. To a certain extent, I think you make your own luck I guess.
IMG_4486.jpeg