• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC Pool C - Australia v Wales - 5AM 25 Sep AEST

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Eddie Jones said during the week that ""there are various ways you can look after your 10 and we'll have a look at that this week."

I certainly didn't take the headlines around protecting Gordon as being a clear sign that he was going to start again. It doesn't seem unreasonable that protecting Gordon means not setting him up to getting dragged after 50 minutes if he doesn't play well again.

I'm not going to get into the structure of the squad and the lack of options available at 10. It's been an issue since the squad was selected. It's the reality of our situation now though.

We have two players who are an option at 10. Gordon and Donaldson. It's been decided that Donaldson is in the starting XV because his goal kicking is more reliable than Gordon's and he has played well in the first two games. Gordon did not play well against Fiji and got dragged after 50 minutes.

We have Kellaway who has essentially missed out due to the goal kicking situation who pretty much everyone wants in the starting side. He's been one of our better backs over the last few years.

The two logical selection decisions this week was to either ride with the status quo or move Donaldson to 10 and Kellaway to 15. Jones is clearly going for the latter. Gordon coming off the bench later in the game probably has more potential to tear the game open.

Personally I don't buy the talk that Gordon's development is going to be ruined by getting dropped or he's been completely screwed over. The kid has come on in leaps and bounds this year has gone to a RWC and played some very good test rugby at times. He'll be fine.

wamberal99

Syd Malcolm (24)
I rate Carter and a lot of other people do too. He'll learn the hard lessons this year and be better. I reckon he's made of reasonably stern stuff.
Every player at this level needs to understand that it is a privilege, not a right, to represent us in the national team. The ABs say that nobody owns an All Black jersey, the jersey is on loan for one match only. The corollary is that the optimal 23 should be taking the field every match. I find the notion that "we are building for the future" absurd. The future is the next game. This is the World Cup FFS, not a series of friendlies.

Last edited:

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Isn't the whole 'finishers' dialogue meant to negate the perceived injustice about starting from the bench?

I'm a huge Gordon fan and increasingly sceptical of Jones, but playing from the bench is fine imo. Out of the 23 and I'd be throwing bricks...

Proud Pig

Ted Thorn (20)
I personally would rather see Gordon at 10 but not with Eddie's game plan.

If you want your 10 playing deep then it is pointless having a 10 who is best at playing flat and probing the lines with both his running and his passing. If you want a deep lying 10, who is simply a kicker and shoveler, then Donaldson is probably a better option than Gordon and that is with White at 9 as the key playmaker. If your 10 is deep you don't need a quick clear from the breakdown but you do need an accurate pass and if you are flat at 10 speed is of the essence. However, for a deep 10 you do need dominance in the forwards which against Fiji we simply did not have which piled even more pressure on Gordon.

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
Expecting to see

Bell, Porecki, Pone, Frost, Arnold, Hooper, McReight, Valentini, McDermott, Donaldson, Korobiete, Kerevi, Petaia, Nawaqanitawase, Kellaway

Faesslar, Slipper, Nonggorr, Phillip, Leota, Fines, Gordon, Vunivalau

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I personally would rather see Gordon at 10 but not with Eddie's game plan.

If you want your 10 playing deep then it is pointless having a 10 who is best at playing flat and probing the lines with both his running and his passing. If you want a deep lying 10, who is simply a kicker and shoveler, then Donaldson is probably a better option than Gordon and that is with White at 9 as the key playmaker. If your 10 is deep you don't need a quick clear from the breakdown but you do need an accurate pass and if you are flat at 10 speed is of the essence. However, for a deep 10 you do need dominance in the forwards which against Fiji we simply did not have which piled even more pressure on Gordon.

Is Eddies plan to run a deep 10?

I had thought he wanted a flat 10 involved in the direction of the game behind forwards going forward. They ended up deep, not by plan but by failure to execute the plan, I suspect. That fail might be either because ta) he plan isn't good enough or b) they didn't follow it; but I don't think the intention is to be deep. Nor do I think the idea is for the half to play 9.5.

It just wasn't coming together.

Tomthumb

Colin Windon (37)
Yeah I think he ended up so deep against Fiji had more to do with them getting dominated in the collisions

Having professional box kicker Nic White at 9 wasn't helping matters either

Wallaby Tragic

Frank Row (1)
Expecting to see

Bell, Porecki, Pone, Frost, Arnold, Hooper, McReight, Valentini, McDermott, Donaldson, Korobiete, Kerevi, Petaia, Nawaqanitawase, Kellaway

Faesslar, Slipper, Nonggorr, Phillip, Leota, Fines, Gordon, Vunivalau
I think you are spot on mate.. This is where we are at as a proud rugby nation, Great blokes representing our proud nation but are unfortunately not up to the levels of competing at the business end of of RWC.

Mr Arie

Herbert Moran (7)
Isn't the whole 'finishers' dialogue meant to negate the perceived injustice about starting from the bench?

I'm a huge Gordon fan and increasingly sceptical of Jones, but playing from the bench is fine imo. Out of the 23 and I'd be throwing bricks...
Dont think the wording applies considering our bench players are playing about 10 minutes on average.

Alex Sharpe

Chris McKivat (8)
All serious analysis aside, jeez I hope we get over Wales this weekend.

I have always thought that the Wallabies are similar to the French in that we can be a bit complacent in games that we should win, even dropping games against Samoa (2011), Italy (2022) and Fiji.

I also think that we usually have the ability to come good when it is REALLY needed. Think beating the AB's to prevent getting bundled out of a home WC in 2003, the Pocock wizardry in the Springbok QF of 2011 after loosing to Ireland in the pool and Samoa earlier in the year.. Even loosing to Italy last year before coming within 3 points against Ireland and then beating Wales at home.

I often describe the Wallabies as ultimate Australian team because they can be imperfect and rarely guilty of being overachievers (currently), but they usually turn up to fight when fighting is needed the most.

No better opportunity to do the same on Monday morning. Go those Wallabies!!