• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC: Pool C - Wallabies v Fiji - Monday 18 Sep 2am AEST

dusk

Cyril Towers (30)
I rate gorden over Donaldson as well but he is not kicking goals. And has missed kicks to touch, and missed tackles so just offering an opinion
I don’t think it will happen yet wither but jones had swung some pretty drastic changes after most games so would not be surprised to see anything atm
I would be highly surprised if Gordon is NOT training his goal-kicking.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I dunno. Georgia was a good game for Jones to give guys like Suli & Gleeson a run from the pine. I won’t be surprised if he doesn’t see them in his best 23 (or if he does).

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Eddie is not doing much injury prep, we have such a favourable draw, 2 weeks before the QF (and the last match is Portugal which means 3 weeks since Wales) so we can play our best side 3 weeks in a row v Georgia, Fiji & Wales and then give our guys a big break.

Since we're young and inexperienced he wants his best XV to play together as much as possible here so I don't expect any non-injury changes to the XV for this match and against Wales.

However, we really haven't tested blokes in a position they might be required to play in case of injury. What if Hooper, McReight or Valetini get injured? The only other players who have started there this year (Holloway & M Hooper) aren't in the squad.

You'd assume Leota, Kemeny and Gleeson will be the backrow against Portugal but is that good prep for them in a QF?

Perese, Phillip & Jorgenson need to start getting minutes in case they're needed in the playoffs too.

This seems the perfect match to start Gleeson, either at 7 or 8. I'd start Phillip if Frost isn't right or at least have him on the bench. Perese and Jorgenson replacements if it's a 5:3 bench.

10 Gordon and 15 Donaldson is the plan for the big matches, no way that's changing here. Donaldson will start at 10 v Portugal.

Last edited:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I'd be just as happy with Kellaway at 13 and Petaia in the 23 jersey. Maybe they could be mixed by playing alternate games.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Barring some shuffling on the bench I don't think we will see any unforced changes for the next 2 games. Philip or Frost to come in at 19, some well documented uncertainty around the front row make up, White/IFL @ 9/21 and Kellaway in for Vunilvalu.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Yep, I say we run with the same starting XV (with the obvious need for a replacement at 9 - probably White) and bring a proper lock onto the bench and Kellaway to 23.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
We can navigate through the pool stages without Thor. There's a 2 week turnaround then between Portugal and the quarters, I can understand why they don't want to risk him. We need a second stringer to rip off a fingernail or something though so we can bring in some cover.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
We can genuinely lose to Wales without Tupou although we've beat them before without him.

We have zero chance against England without him.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
If we navigate through the pool stages successfully I doubt we will see England this RWC. Only chance could be in the final, you'd hope he'd be right by then. Regardless, I'm not factoring in England until we lose a game, but even then I'd back us to beat them.

Last edited:

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
There's a strong chance that all 7 of our Fijian heritage players are in the 23 for this game. I am OK with Suli being on the bench for this game but I'm assuming it wont be Lalakai at 22? Kellaway probably.

Last edited:

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
If we navigate through the pool stages successfully I doubt we will see England this RWC. Only chance could be in the final, you'd hope he'd be right by then. Regardless, I'm not factoring in England until we lose a game, but even then I'd back us to beat them.
If Aus and England top Pool C & D, make it to a SF and lose to 2 of the Big 4, we'll play them in a 3rd place playoff

rugbyAU

Nev Cottrell (35)
So if we only have one THP what do we do??

Sources have told The Roar that Tupou is awaiting scans on his hamstring, but it can be revealed there are strong fears the world class prop could miss the rest of the pool stages with his injury likely to keep him sidelined for around three to four weeks.

- Also, doesn't sound like it's confirmed

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
So if we only have one THP what do we do??
If he's gone for good, we swap him out for another THP, or if he'll be good in a few weeks we swap out someone who is just carrying bags, not likely to play for the replacement THP

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We are fucked. Do we have a fit tighthead besides Nongorr?

We might get away with it against the Fijians but definitely not the Welsh.