• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 1 WAL v RSA (Twickenham) 18th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
At the risk of entering into your 8 year-old school playground discussion;

I did not set out to achieve anything - I stated that I hop(d) the Welsh would send the Miserable Bastards Home Home. Still do and still expect NZ to do so next week - you on the other seem appear to have an axe to grind.

Many people in this world are less than impressed with the entire culture surrounding South African Rugby and what it stood for - and stands for. People are allowed to do that. Live with it.
I'm impressed with the South Africans. Always one of the top two teams in the world in terms of who we want to beat. And too rarely do. Might be a national sport/identity thing. Don't think Australia has that 'rugby matters ' mindset. At work I'm the only one watching the rwc

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
He'll have to improve on saturday. He like all the Bok players sure will have to.
Think he was tested in Wales game as much as they will be in nz. What worries me is what garces will do. They slowed welsh possession brilliantly. As long as he is consistent then South Africa will do ok.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Think he was tested in Wales game as much as they will be in nz. What worries me is what garces will do. They slowed welsh possession brilliantly. As long as he is consistent then South Africa will do ok.
Well we struggle with this against the All Blacks. We'll need to clear them out. Thats where our fatties need to get stuck in.

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
I think people are over generous to the springboks when they talk about our ability to slow ball down. I encourage you to watch some of the match again and see how often a Welsh tackler ends up on the wrong side of the ruck. Springbok disruption is mostly less subtle than that, our players don't have the same nous. We just tackle the opposition backward to slow them down. If Garces is lenient on the tackle again, South Africa will get cleaned up by NZ who are far smarter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I think people are over generous to the springboks when they talk about our ability to slow ball down. I encourage you to watch some of the match again and see how often a Welsh tackler ends up on the wrong side of the ruck. Springbok disruption is mostly less subtle than that, our players don't have the same nous. We just tackle the opposition backward to slow them down. If Garces is lenient on the tackle again, South Africa will get cleaned up by NZ who are far smarter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Our players lose their perspective behind an angry cloud of fog.

When you're pissed and angry you don't think straight. I sometimes feel like our forwards run around like a bunch of angry buffoons.

"Clever" is not a word I ever associate with our forward play. The Welsh forwards, like the Kiwis normally do, used every trick in the book to slow us down. They had different tactics and would change those as soon as the ref cottons on. We don't do this. We just try to smash people.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I'm impressed with the South Africans. Always one of the top two teams in the world in terms of who we want to beat. And too rarely do. Might be a national sport/identity thing. Don't think Australia has that 'rugby matters ' mindset. At work I'm the only one watching the rwc

Unarguably - Rugby only matters to a limited degree in Australia - there are the diehard supporters - many of whom are involved in someway - a second group with casual interest - and then daylight... It is dwarfed by AFL, loses alot of very good athletes to the Mungo Code, and suffering from shrinking investment as Soccer moves increasingly to centre-stage...

In AFL States, many people would be hard-pressed to know the difference between the Wallabies and the Kookaburras...

Its unfortunate - but its not necessarily permanent, and its a challenge to all...

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think you'd be surprised about the AFL states HWC (maybe Victoria excluded- but hey, fuck those guys). Rugby Union is popular when the Wallabies are on show in WA. The problem is that casual fans can't engage because the Rugby Championship lasts only a few weeks and is hard to televise due to SA and ARG games being at odd hours. In terms of tests, we do such a poor job of promoting and advertising rugby and/or going to see matches live that your off-the-street fan doesn't really know too far in advance that a big test match is on.

It annoys me a bit that the ARU doesn't appear to have a lot of interest in the non-League states (e.g. WA and South Australia). Greater Western Sydney is all well and good but it doesn't have the population of South Australia (does it?) and you don't have to compete with League.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Greater Western Sydney is all well and good but it doesn't have the population of South Australia (does it?) and you don't have to compete with League.
GWS probably does match Adelaide in terms of population.

But I back your point. We need to get Adelaide into the NRC when feasible. Still need Western Sydney too. ¿Por qué no los dos?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Unarguably - Rugby only matters to a limited degree in Australia - there are the diehard supporters - many of whom are involved in someway - a second group with casual interest - and then daylight. It is dwarfed by AFL, loses alot of very good athletes to the Mungo Code, and suffering from shrinking investment as Soccer moves increasingly to centre-stage.

In AFL States, many people would be hard-pressed to know the difference between the Wallabies and the Kookaburras.

Its unfortunate - but its not necessarily permanent, and its a challenge to all.
Where would you classify yourself?

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Where would you classify yourself?

I don't go about 'Classifying Myself' As It happens...

Played it as a child - all the way through College and University - left it at University for a couple of years, and then played it until I broke my back and could play No More... Been involved in Rugby Clubs around the World as part of travelling for the past 20-odd years... as a supporter, a coach, a waterboy, and a sausage-cooker.... Not sure what difference this makes however.

troxler

Sydney Middleton (9)

That's true, even more impressive that Australia has had so much success in rugby over the years imo...

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
That's true, even more impressive that Australia has had so much success in rugby over the years imo.

its a bit of a bloody miracle, really - considering Rugby was pretty much a Beer, Cigarettes and a BBQ sport in Australia until the mid-late 70s - and yet the Wallabies have two world cups and a record against South Africa of Played 81 / Won 35 and lost 45 - one has to wonder how much a 'Rugby Matters' mindset might be good for.... We have a much poorer record against NZ though - and that's one we feel much more keenly, i think.... Need to work on that!

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
Unarguably - Rugby only matters to a limited degree in Australia - there are the diehard supporters - many of whom are involved in someway - a second group with casual interest - and then daylight. It is dwarfed by AFL, loses alot of very good athletes to the Mungo Code, and suffering from shrinking investment as Soccer moves increasingly to centre-stage.

In AFL States, many people would be hard-pressed to know the difference between the Wallabies and the Kookaburras.

Its unfortunate - but its not necessarily permanent, and its a challenge to all.
I think it will always be the case and ultimately football will take over outside of Victoria. For my part I'm happy to go and watch our subbies team on the weekends. But rugby will never reach the heights of other codes unfortunately

Status
Not open for further replies.