• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 4 AUS v SCO (Twickenham) 19th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
With it ticking over into 7am, and the northern hemisphere rising from its slumber, I want to apologise in advance for the unreasonable anger, frustration and all round clickbait stuff, on behalf of the somewhat reasonable fans,

It's all good mate, we totally understand. I get the distinct impression that a lot of people are going to be barracking against us or writing us off from this point onwards and I can live with that.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Watching back now - the scrum that takes Scotland to 16-10 is a fucking joke - Nel is getting pummeled by Sio, then drops onto his neck. He's nearly fucking JUMPING to do it under the pressure.

Watch and learn, Joubers, Jackson:

1) Scots advance their loosehead side a little on the feed as their back five walk around - Sio sets himself to drive

scoscrum1.png

2) Nel starts to stand up under pressure, and angle - Sio goes with him

scoscrum1.png

3) Nel is now in serious shit as his blindside flanker holds on and slides up, but his second row has deserted him, playing silly buggers - note Fardy's front-row seat into the destruction of the Scots, probably grinning maniacally.
scoscrum3.png

4) Nel gets LIFTED OFF HIS FUCKING FEET under the force of the Wallaby loosehead side of the scrum. The flanker (Cowan) has given up any pretense of a proper bind, and attacks Sio.

scoscrum4.png

5) Nel chickens out, twists his shoulder, and drops on Sio's neck. Dangerous play. Flanker is nowhere near bound, doing a Robshaw.

scoscrum5.png

6) The damage is complete, but its somehow Sio's fault. Get. Fucked. Look at the body positions - Nel bent, Sio straight. Blindside Scots flanker is not even trying any more.

scoscrum6.png

Attachments

• scoscrum2.png
    scoscrum2.png
    511.3 KB · Views: 229

dru

Tim Horan (67)
@Pfitzy Where's the Citing Bloke? Keep going. I'm interested in if and how this may have led to Sio being injured?

cornetto

Peter Burge (5)
A rules question based on my observation of the incident.

My opinion is that the ball came off their 7 - possibly a knock on but not too sure, phipps knocks it forward into the beardy bloke, ball ricochets back to get picked up from the scot in the offside position.

Im not asking if you agree on my assessment, just want to know if this is the case, does the offside "override" the knock on(s)?

Just curious.

Also when will we know Pococks injury status?

Cheers

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Some thoughts.

There seems to be a problem or issue with our structured backline attack. Much the same as it's been for the Brumbies over the past couple of years, and I really don't understand it because I'd expect much better from having Larkham as backs coach. But there is little (it seems to me) creative play that forces errors in the defensive line that would allow our outside backs to break the line. I wonder if the combination of Foley, Giteau, Kuridrani is not as effective as it ought to be. We generally accept that Foley isn't as creative as someone like Cooper or Beale, but has there been even one instance where Matt Giteau has opened up a backline defense with some creative move or pass putting Kuridrani into open space. I can't remember any, but even if there were a couple of instances, they are rare and ought to be on show at least once or twice each match.

I get that Giteau is seen as the second play maker and as commented by others is often in first receiver position when Foley has been defending out wide. But to me, he hasn't been performing a playmaker role. More often than not, he trucks it up himself. In previous games, he has usually tried to beat tacklers on their outside, and in this game he did play straighter more often, but I still don't remember him actually putting anyone into a hole. If we want a 12 who can hit it up, then we would get more benefit from playing Matt To'omua imo. But it really looks to be too late now to make any changes to the starting backline. It is what it is now, and we are committed to going with the status quo I believe. I just query whether the Foley/Giteau combination is working the way we might want it to.

The second issue as I perceive it is with the use of the bench last night. I think it gave the lie to the notion that we have a squad of starters and finishers. As none of McMahon, To'omua or Cooper made it onto the ground, they could hardly be called finishers. It looked to me that they were simply injury cover.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
@Pfitzy Where's the Citing Bloke? Keep going. I'm interested in if and how this may have led to Sio being injured?

The scrum where Sio was injured was about 5 minutes later - after Genia's TMO knock on incident.

Sio gets a move on, but Nel performs a classic change of direction while shortening his bind, and then Sio gets himself into a bad position trying to get the shove on, so I don't think Nel has a case to answer for that one.

And I looked hard :)

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Watching back now - the scrum that takes Scotland to 16-10 is a fucking joke - Nel is getting pummeled by Sio, then drops onto his neck. He's nearly fucking JUMPING to do it under the pressure.

Watch and learn, Joubers, Jackson:

1) Scots advance their loosehead side a little on the feed as their back five walk around - Sio sets himself to drive

View attachment 7086

2) Nel starts to stand up under pressure, and angle - Sio goes with him

View attachment 7086

3) Nel is now in serious shit as his blindside flanker holds on and slides up, but his second row has deserted him, playing silly buggers - note Fardy's front-row seat into the destruction of the Scots, probably grinning maniacally.
View attachment 7091

4) Nel gets LIFTED OFF HIS FUCKING FEET under the force of the Wallaby loosehead side of the scrum. The flanker (Cowan) has given up any pretense of a proper bind, and attacks Sio.

View attachment 7090

5) Nel chickens out, twists his shoulder, and drops on Sio's neck. Dangerous play. Flanker is nowhere near bound, doing a Robshaw.

View attachment 7089

6) The damage is complete, but its somehow Sio's fault. Get. Fucked. Look at the body positions - Nel bent, Sio straight. Blindside Scots flanker is not even trying any more.

View attachment 7088
Is it just me or there is a possible argument for Sio doing a Marler here?

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Watched the replay of "that" penalty a few times now but can't decide if the ball glances Phipps forearm (scrum Australia) or not (penalty Australia). Either way I'm pretty sure Joubert had recourse to TMO so had to call what he saw. Agree or disagree, call from r TMO the be given yet more powers if you feel so inclined, but don't bag the man for calling what he believed he'd just seen in real time.

EDIT: should read Joubert had NO recourse to TMO.

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
Watched the replay of "that" penalty a few times now but can't decide if the ball glances Phipps forearm (scrum Australia) or not (penalty Australia). Either way I'm pretty sure Joubert had recourse to TMO so had to call what he saw. Agree or disagree, call from r TMO the be given yet more powers if you feel so inclined, but don't bag the man for calling what he believed he'd just seen in real time.

If it had hit Phipps Joubert then would have had to have decided whether it was intentional or not before it could be said to be onside play.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Great idea. Let's start citing props for collapsing scrums.

Are you serious?

Boring in, dropping binds and hinging to destabilise a scrum and milk a penalty, or diffuse a dominant shove is cynical play and extremely dangerous. A lot worse and more unsafe than slapping a ball down for a deliberate knock on.
Carding players for dropping someone on their heads has all but eradicated these tackles from the game. Why not consider citing a serial infringer in the scrums. Why is it ok to card a prop for collapsing when he's not good enough and is being outclassed, but not ok to card someone for repeated dangerous and cynical play with a very high risk of a serious injury?
Its probably too much of a lottery to happen during a game so maybe using the citing process is a reasonable alternative to eliminate that type of rubbish and perhaps reduce the scrum instability and resets in the long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.