• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

RWC QF 4 AUS v SCO (Twickenham) 19th Oct 0200 AEDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Does anyone think that if it had been two Samoans who did that to a Scot, we'd have been treated to the same legal hair splitting?
The Scots have done a legal version of what their supporters do, boo and hiss until they get a decision that goes their way. Some of the nonsense spouted by ex players about intent etc was shameful. It was a terrible incident, intentional or not, and warranted a ban. That said, Pocock should have been cited, even if he was subsequently cleared, as should Carter. Too much power is in the hand of an individual citing commissioner, with the judicial stage an exercise in self incrimination.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Gentlemen, EDIT Ladies, a moment of your time, for I have a tale to tell.

This very day, upon the forested hills above the mighty Hawkesbury, I came upon an omen. I know not what to make of it, precisely, but believe it bodes well for the Australian Rugby team.

As it happens, I had dropped my eldest at a birthday party up towards Wisemans Ferry, and with several hours on my hands, decided to sit in the shade by the river nearby and read Michael Lynagh's "Blindsided".

Alas, I could find no place to take my leisure, for much of that river's edge is privately owned by various organisations or individuals who greedily seek its beauty for themselves. Instead, I opted for an exploratory drive, starting with the Sackville Ferry, with the aim of looking in on Ebenezer Church and surrounds.

At some point in the journey, I turned down a dirt road, attempting (in vain) to find a secluded spot by the water. As someone country raised, I do like the challenge of a good gravel track.

I was thoroughly enjoying myself on a lonely dirt road in the glorious spring sunshine, when I rounded a corner and slowed to a halt, amazed at what I beheld.

There, in the dappled shadows of the gently swaying eucalypt forest, was a wallaby.

Steady as a rock, with no hint of skittishness or fear, this magnificent animal stared at me from its casual position for what seemed like minutes, but was surely only seconds of time as we know it.

As it was, the world around both of us condensed into this moment, these moments, and then, having spent enough of its time on the side of the road looking at some idiot in an X-Trail, the marsupial turned its head, then bounced fluidly into the scrub and up the hill.

So transfixed was I, that it did not occur to me to reach for my phone to share this vision with the rest of you. All I have are these words; make of them what you will.
Was it eating a thistle? I'd feel much better about your omen if it was.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I just struggle a bit to understand how they "looked at it from all available camera angles" and decided it wasn't worth a ban at all.

And the "not driven" part too - you only to watch it once to see Lam gets driven into the turf.

Oh well, will only extend their tournaments by a day.

uploadfromtaptalk1445119138318.jpg

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Meh. We appealled, we got off. Judiciary is a lottery, we all know this. I'd been hopeful, but didn't expect the result.

And PPs Blatant Xenophobia has become even more hilarious, especially since there's not fans more salty than Leinstermen and Munstermen than when calls don't go their way. At least the Ulstermen are reasonable most of the time.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The rugby judiciary system strikes again.

On the one hand, I am happy Gray and Ford are playing as it means there will be no excuses. If we win, we win against the best team they could field. On the other hand, it is a sad indictment of the system.

Ford and Gray are found guilty of a dangerous tackle and given a 4 match ban. An additional week is added as a deterent. One week is taken off for their previous good record, and another week is taken off for their early admission of guilt. Leaving them with a 3 week ban. Then the length of the ban is appealed, and it is decided they are now not guilty.

I am not really concerned with whether or not I consider their actions to be an offence (Gray and Ford believe it was). I'm more concerned with the whole process being a joke (although not such a funny one for the players who fall foul of it).

A new precedent has now been set. Always admit guilt early, then appeal the decision.

It would be interesting to see all of the citings, offences and bans lined up side by side, just to see if there is any consistency (I suspect not).

Thank you all for this opportunity to vent regarding the judicial efforts of World Rugby.

Wallabies, please bring maximum intensity boys, as the Scots will be bringing their A game.

Come on the Wallabies!

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I just struggle a bit to understand how they "looked at it from all available camera angles" and decided it wasn't worth a ban at all.

And the "not driven" part too - you only to watch it once to see Lam gets driven into the turf.

Oh well, will only extend their tournaments by a day.

View attachment 7079

As the top picture indicates, they should have been red-carded.

Up until this point, it has been accepted that if you lift a player off the ground beyond the horizontal, it is your responsibility to get them safely to the ground. Where the player lands on the head/shoulder, that has usually resulted in a red-card.

World Rugby has now set a new legal precedent - it's possible to plead guilty and then be found not guilty.:confused:

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
A slap in the face of consistency.

This is true. A couple of tip tackles lately have resulted in suspensions where there was no dropping or driving into the ground. Notable, Henry Speight's cleanout comes to mind, and there was also one in a Wallabies/NZ test I think where the player was lowered fairly gently to the ground, admittedly head first but no intent to drop or drive. I thought the suspension might be reduced, but didn't expect it to be overturned.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I don't think so Highlander35. The Frogs were disorganised and the darkness hit their straps today in patches. Nothing to see there.
The rugby tomorrow will be more in line with what we saw from SA and Wales.

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Surprised the scots lifting duo got off... GO FIGURE... no ban at all???
crazy result but the Scots will need more than luck come match time... they won't be able to appeal against the score board...

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Not that the boys should need any further motivation, but I really hope that combination of this bullshit decision and the very imposing AB performance has sharpened their minds on the task at hand. We need to be full tilt right from the first minute tonight.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The rugby judiciary system strikes again.

I'm more concerned with the whole process being a joke (although not such a funny one for the players who fall foul of it).

It would be interesting to see all of the citings, offences and bans lined up side by side, just to see if there is any consistency (I suspect not).

Thank you all for this opportunity to vent regarding the judicial efforts of World Rugby.

Not only is the process (and I use that term very loosly) a complete joke as you say, but apparently the conduct depicted is now acceptable on the rugby field.

uploadfromtaptalk1445119138318-jpg.7079

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I think the ABs did the Wallabies a favour overnight. That performance will have sharpened the focus of the Wallabies about how good they need to be if they fancy themselves a real chance. I expect them to be switched on tonight now and not take anything for granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.